Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 41,368 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The potential joys of Nvflash (Dead in the water?)

Tip us?

Sogarth
Old
(Last edited by Sogarth; 24th April 2011 at 06:39 AM.) Reason: Links from dasmoover.
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 362
Default The potential joys of Nvflash (Dead in the water?)

Interestingly enough (I don't know the reasons), it looks like Motorola left a copy of Nvflash and Atrix-specific bootloader.bin for it on the Atrix. What's interesting about Nvflash is that it allows for targeted backup and restore of partitions (i.e. something along the lines of what Nandroid allows for, except at a lower level), which decreases recovery time when developers do something that ends up soft-bricking their phone. It should also break us free of our dependence on SBFs because we'll be able to create our own backups.

Anyways, the Nvflash on the phone is the Linux i386 binary. The bootloader.bin isn't platform specific, as it's meant for the target, rather than the host. THe archive is available in /usr/local/share/motorola/fireboxmake/OSH_tools.tgz.

Unfortunately, this is where we get stuck, because we don't currently know how to get a connection to the phone. And that's where all of you come in! Can you get further? I've gotten this far:
Code:
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X4
Command send failed (usb write failed)
I imagine that some of the functionality may end up requiring the --sbk flag (and we don't know the SBK right now), but I'm hoping that we can at least backup and restore /system, /data, and /osh.

Update: Information I've obtained indicates that this is the error you get when the SBK you pass in doesn't match the SBK on the system. So, no luck until we get that SBK.

Update 2: Additional links from dasmoover:
Credit to dasmoover for the find.
Currently playing with:
  • Samsung Note II (N-7100)
  • Sony Smartwatch (MN2SW)
Currently pondering:
  • Ways to provide e-mail access to non-root programs
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sogarth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JdeFalconr
Old
(Last edited by Mr. Clown; 23rd April 2011 at 02:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same thing as which apparently folks are trying to get taken down in the name of keeping the info under wraps?

EricHegnes
Old
(Last edited by EricHegnes; 23rd April 2011 at 03:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
I would like to excuse myself for earlier. I am glad that you have turned this in to something positive.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

Sogarth
Old
(Last edited by Sogarth; 23rd April 2011 at 03:50 AM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdeFalconr View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same thing as some other thread, which apparently folks are trying to get taken down in the name of keeping the info under wraps?
It's related, but it's not quite the same thing. If nothing else, you have the binaries for this right now on your phone (dasmoover posted a link on the IRC channel 12 hours ago or so). I'm at this mostly for the backup/restore capabilities of Nvflash rather than bootloader hacking. Even if we only ever had that much, I'd be thrilled, because I hate having to re-SBF and set everything up again every time I soft brick my phone.

Also: I've been planning on posting this for a few hours now, before that other post even went up. I'm... disappointed to see that other post, but these two things aren't after the same thing.
Currently playing with:
  • Samsung Note II (N-7100)
  • Sony Smartwatch (MN2SW)
Currently pondering:
  • Ways to provide e-mail access to non-root programs

dasmoover
Old
(Last edited by dasmoover; 23rd April 2011 at 06:46 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 122
http://gititbit.ch/fbm1 - /osh/usr/local/share/motorola/fireboxmake
also contains OSH_tools.tgz.

Firebox is the development name for the Webtop system. This contains the tools to prep the partition image for flashing. There are also some files IDA generated.

May be of use: http://gititbit.ch/tces1 - Tegra Crypto Engine Source Snapshot
Anonymous public hosting for android content provided by gitbrew.
Epic 4G Touch, Atrix, Defy, Kindle, Milestone, PS3, Sidekick4G, Thunderbolt, & Xoom
Developers, please contact me for free hosting. All donations go to server costs.

seven2099
Old
Thanks Meter 242
do you mind me asking but.. what was that other thread about that it warranted getting deleted.
Seven2099
HTC One M7
Firmware: 4.4 GPE Mod
Nexus 5
Firmware: 4.4.2 KK Stock
Nexus 7 FHD
Firmware: 4.4.2 Stock
Ramos i9
Firmware: 4.2.2 ApexMod v.01a

minooch
Old
Thanks Meter 1418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven2099 View Post
do you mind me asking but.. what was that other thread about that it warranted getting deleted.
it got deleted for a reason - let it be

molotof
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I think we are getting warmer now .......... this calls for some investigation.

blackax
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by minooch View Post
it got deleted for a reason - let it be
Wow he was just asking a questing...If you feel that even just telling him/us what the thread was about is so bad/dangerous then i think there is a bigger problem here. This should be a place to share information, ideas and if we start cracking down on that then we lose so much (yes if it is copyrighted or under nda then take it down)
Nexus One: 2.3
Motorola Atrix: Unlocked/rooted Darkside Rom
HTC One X: Rooted

knigitz
Old
Thanks Meter 44
http://forum.tegratab.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18

They've been using nvflash to flash their tablet.