LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Dual boot Ubuntu and Android?

OP MadSage

28th April 2011, 07:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

58 posts
The dual-form nature of this item would fit a dual-boot scenario perfectly. Boot into Android when used as a tablet, boot into Ubuntu when docked. Just curious as to the possibility of this.

As far as I know, Ubuntu supports ARM architecture, so the Tegra 2 chip should work well with it. I'm not familiar with the touch screen driver support in Ubuntu, but I remember when I modded my old EeePC netbook with a touch screen, I was able to install third party touch screen drivers without any problem. Then again, even if the touchscreen won't work, when docked it has the mouse and keyboard anyway.

Are there any devs working on this, or know what the feasibility of such an endeavor would be?

Thanks!
PGibbons999
28th April 2011, 07:15 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Let me know when I can dual boot into Linux Mint.
28th April 2011, 07:36 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

46 posts
I'm wondering if the webtop from atrix can be ported to work here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
28th April 2011, 06:50 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

58 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGibbons999

Let me know when I can dual boot into Linux Mint.

Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, so if you can get one working, you can get the other. However, vanilla Ubuntu has three times the user base, so I feel that would be the best bet, considering the much larger community support.
28th April 2011, 06:54 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 208

792 posts
Donate to Me
Definitely should be a project someone works on
28th April 2011, 07:29 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

183 posts
Should be very easy to boot ubuntu alongside android. Got a lot of spare ram on these systems.

This of course means running ubuntu with a vnc server, and connecting to localhost. Which is far from optimal. But it works atleast. That's what I plan to do when I get the tablet.

Hell with wireless adb there's a decent chance I'll be able to run up eclipse and build apps directly to and from the tablet
28th April 2011, 08:09 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurre

Hell with wireless adb there's a decent chance I'll be able to run up eclipse and build apps directly to and from the tablet

Not unless we get an ARM SDK. There is nothing I would like more than to be able to develop for my tablet on my tablet, but right now it is not possible, even with Ubuntu.
29th April 2011, 12:07 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

58 posts
Ubuntu 11.04 was just released with the new Unity interface standardized. I'm not sure how well the Tegra 2 can handle it, but there's also Unity 2D, which looks great.

And the touchscreen interface looks lovely:
http://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/utouch/

I'm getting excited, I really hope we can get this working!
29th April 2011, 12:11 AM   |  #9  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 27

385 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurre

Should be very easy to boot ubuntu alongside android. Got a lot of spare ram on these systems.

This of course means running ubuntu with a vnc server, and connecting to localhost. Which is far from optimal. But it works atleast. That's what I plan to do when I get the tablet.

This was already done on the Xoom I believe.
29th April 2011, 06:09 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 8

183 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaelFaroe

Not unless we get an ARM SDK. There is nothing I would like more than to be able to develop for my tablet on my tablet, but right now it is not possible, even with Ubuntu.

A very good point :/, oh well. I can still do my normal development

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread