Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,408 Members 52,762 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dual boot Ubuntu and Android?

Tip us?

MadSage
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Dual boot Ubuntu and Android?

The dual-form nature of this item would fit a dual-boot scenario perfectly. Boot into Android when used as a tablet, boot into Ubuntu when docked. Just curious as to the possibility of this.

As far as I know, Ubuntu supports ARM architecture, so the Tegra 2 chip should work well with it. I'm not familiar with the touch screen driver support in Ubuntu, but I remember when I modded my old EeePC netbook with a touch screen, I was able to install third party touch screen drivers without any problem. Then again, even if the touchscreen won't work, when docked it has the mouse and keyboard anyway.

Are there any devs working on this, or know what the feasibility of such an endeavor would be?

Thanks!
PGibbons999 Old
Thanks Meter 0
Let me know when I can dual boot into Linux Mint.

lostsoulktash
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm wondering if the webtop from atrix can be ported to work here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

MadSage
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGibbons999 View Post
Let me know when I can dual boot into Linux Mint.
Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, so if you can get one working, you can get the other. However, vanilla Ubuntu has three times the user base, so I feel that would be the best bet, considering the much larger community support.

r34p3rex
Old
Thanks Meter 207

DONATE TO ME
Definitely should be a project someone works on
HTC One & Nexus 7

nurre
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Should be very easy to boot ubuntu alongside android. Got a lot of spare ram on these systems.

This of course means running ubuntu with a vnc server, and connecting to localhost. Which is far from optimal. But it works atleast. That's what I plan to do when I get the tablet.

Hell with wireless adb there's a decent chance I'll be able to run up eclipse and build apps directly to and from the tablet

ZaelFaroe
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurre View Post
Hell with wireless adb there's a decent chance I'll be able to run up eclipse and build apps directly to and from the tablet
Not unless we get an ARM SDK. There is nothing I would like more than to be able to develop for my tablet on my tablet, but right now it is not possible, even with Ubuntu.

MadSage
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Ubuntu 11.04 was just released with the new Unity interface standardized. I'm not sure how well the Tegra 2 can handle it, but there's also Unity 2D, which looks great.

And the touchscreen interface looks lovely:
http://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/utouch/

I'm getting excited, I really hope we can get this working!

Zach Alt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurre View Post
Should be very easy to boot ubuntu alongside android. Got a lot of spare ram on these systems.

This of course means running ubuntu with a vnc server, and connecting to localhost. Which is far from optimal. But it works atleast. That's what I plan to do when I get the tablet.

This was already done on the Xoom I believe.

nurre
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaelFaroe View Post
Not unless we get an ARM SDK. There is nothing I would like more than to be able to develop for my tablet on my tablet, but right now it is not possible, even with Ubuntu.
A very good point :/, oh well. I can still do my normal development