Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 40,298 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Alternative to Spare Batteries

Tip us?

regP
Old
(Last edited by regP; 2nd May 2011 at 08:14 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 159
Default Alternative to Spare Batteries

I like a lot of people use my phone very heavily yet I don't have an opportunity to plug my phone into an AC charger until I return home. A great remedy to the problem is this handly little AA charger.

http://www.igo.com/accessories/power...t/ps002640004/

The reason I like it so much is because cheap portable battery packs usually pack under 1000mah of power. Thats not even enough to give you 1 full charge. And the more expensive 2000mah+ packs are often on the large side and well... expensive lol. On the other hand this little bugger is cheap and small enough to sit in my pocket without being a bother. What I find is the best part of it is the fact that you can choose what kind of AA batteries you put into it. I opted for Energizer rechargeable which are rated at 2450mah EACH for a total of 4900mah of power. Thats the equivalent of 3 G2x batteries. Keep 2 more batteries in your backpack/desk/purse thats an additional 4900mah. If that can't get you through the day you have more than just phone issues

Originally bought it for my Vibrant but quickly found it was awkward because the the product doesnt come with a cable adapter. This meant it was hanging and putting much strain on the usb port of the phone. Out of fear of breaking it I stopped using it. However since the G2x charges from the bottom there is absolutely no problem espcially seeing as I bought a 20cm micro usb extension cable so that the charger can sit in my lap or on a table while using the phone.

Just thought I'd share this since we can't get legit replacement batteries yet and even when they do become available they will cost a pretty penny. Got mine from Staples but they can be had on amazon also along with the usb extension able and rechargeable batteries.
LG G3 32gb .Stock
Nexus 7 32gb .CleanROM
______
LG G2 > Nexus 5 > HTC One > Nexus 4 > HTC One X > Samsung Galaxy S II ET4g Touch > LG G2x > Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
Asus Transformer TF101

hire4blood
Old
Thanks Meter 1
This one works very well, too:

Well I'm a new member, so not allowed to post outside link. Therefore goto
  1. Amazon
  2. Duracell Instant USB Charger with Lithium ion battery
  3. Pick the very first one

You don't need to by batteries or an extra charger. You can recharge it via your G2x power supply or any computer.

xShadoWxDrifTx
Old
Thanks Meter 7
This was my favorite (coming from g1)

Too bad theres no new version for the micro usb's now..
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-98782...363010&sr=1-16

This can be added on, though it wouldn't be very convenient since its a slide in/out connector
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Mini-...f=pd_sim_cps_1

regP
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hire4blood View Post
This one works very well, too:

Well I'm a new member, so not allowed to post outside link. Therefore goto
  1. Amazon
  2. Duracell Instant USB Charger with Lithium ion battery
  3. Pick the very first one

You don't need to by batteries or an extra charger. You can recharge it via your G2x power supply or any computer.
I almost bought one of those until I saw how low the capacity on it is. Looks tiny though which is nice.
LG G3 32gb .Stock
Nexus 7 32gb .CleanROM
______
LG G2 > Nexus 5 > HTC One > Nexus 4 > HTC One X > Samsung Galaxy S II ET4g Touch > LG G2x > Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
Asus Transformer TF101

mingkee
Old
Thanks Meter 245
J&R has Veho 5Ah external battery for $35 and I have 2 of them.
Just use regular microUSB cable to charge the phone and leave the original cable secure.

crawler9
Old
Thanks Meter 288

DONATE TO ME
I'm thinking about getting the i-up 13,200mAh pack.
If I or anyone else has helped you, please click thanks!
I may not an Android dev (yet), but I'm more than willing to help whenever I can!
I am a software development student, comfortable with limited Java, C++, and AutoHotkey Scripting.
My posts usually change within 10 minutes when I originally post them... be sure to double check them lol.

My devices:

hire4blood
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by regP View Post
I almost bought one of those until I saw how low the capacity on it is. Looks tiny though which is nice.
They have a bigger version for 32$ as well. The 22$ version gives me a full charge from around 30%.

regP
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 159
Just received my Pebble XT 5000mah pack. Won't be able to put it through its paces till next tuesday. Upon first impression, i think im in love with this thing already. its small enough to sit in pocket without having much presence. extremely lightweight. and the cord is long enough to be able to have the charger in your pocket and phone in hand (thank you lg for putting the usb port at the bottom). All info I have read indicated that it really does output 5000mAh of power so even a heavy user such as myself will have no problem getting through a full day of use.
LG G3 32gb .Stock
Nexus 7 32gb .CleanROM
______
Asus Transformer TF101

KRAZYADROIDMASTER
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Just wondering how everyone's batterys are working out for them?

Also how many full charges did you get?

Also any likes or dislikes of product they decided to buy?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App
LG LGP999 G2X DARK ALE
MADE IN: KOREA
MANUFACTURE DATE 04/19/2011

STOCK

SANDISK: 4 GB CLASS 4 MICRO SD CARD.

KRAZYADROIDMASTER
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Just wanting a update???

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App
LG LGP999 G2X DARK ALE