Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,938 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How To] Copy Angry Birds from 1 device to other without rooting

Tip us?

OstrichSak
Old
(Last edited by orb3000; 15th October 2011 at 07:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
Post [How To] Copy Angry Birds from 1 device to other without rooting

I did a search when I got my new Evo 4G and all I found was people saying it wasn't possible and the ones that said it was possible said you had to be rooted. After a little more digging and some trial and error I figured out a way to backup all THREE versions of Angry Birds and then move all progress (including golden eggs) to a new and UNROOTED device for FREE! Here's how I did it. Hope this helps others.

There are free apps in the market that will allow you to backup and move your progress to another device w/o rooting. I wanted to reply because I went through the same thing on my new device and I had three devices actually. I had Angry Birds on my Droid 1 (rooted), Angry Birds Seasons on my tablet (not rooted) and finally Angry Birds Rio on my new Evo 4G which wasn't rooted. If you search the market you will find these three apps to be the best as they backup not only progress but golden eggs and what not and are all free:

angrybirdsbackup
angrybirdsbackup (seasons)
Rio backup

The first two are from the same dev and the third seems to be about the same thing from a different dev. It would be nice if the same dev offered one for all three games or, even better, if that dev would COMBINE them all into a single app *hint hint* that generated separate folders for each game the end users chooses to back up.

Here we go:
1) Install whichever you need on both devices.
2) Complete ONE level on the new device (do NOT skip this step or you won't be able to complete the process successfully) and then create a backup to your device using the app.
3) Install the same app on the old device and create a backup for the same game on the old device. Now you have backups of current progress of the same game on both devices and you need to get the old to the new.
4) Use a file explorer (I like ES File Explorer best out of all of them but some prefer Astro... either will work for this DIY) to locate the folder that was created on the new device which will be named the same as the backup app. Within that folder you will find two files which I think are .bkp or something similar. One is scores and one is something else. You want to delete those two files from the new phone and then copy the same two files from the old phone and place them in the same location on the new phone.
5) Back out, launch the backup app that you installed and select restore.

Done.

You can verify by launching Angry birds to see your progress is all stored on the new device. Making a backup of your Angry Birds games every once in a while and then copying those backups to a PC or external storage device isn't a bad idea if you're serious about Angry Birds.

I see this question asked often but rarely see an answer nor have I seen a step by step on how to complete it even if you're able to stumble upon one of these apps since they don't include instructions.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to OstrichSak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

willverduzco
Old
Portal Administrator
Thanks Meter 2796

DONATE TO ME
Excellent guide. I will feature this on the Portal.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a news tip! - [moderate | film | foto | develop]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willverduzco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OstrichSak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by willverduzco View Post
Excellent guide. I will feature this on the Portal.
No idea what that means but I'm honored none-the-less.

Shining_knight
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Nice work!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shining_knight For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frettfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Nice write up and i think this is fantastic info.... Just curious though, doesn't titanium backup do this too?

I ran into an issue 1 time where my games did not get saved through titanium (well they were save i just couldn't restore) but it was because of the way the ROM implemented A2SD. Once i moved the games off the SD, i have never had an issue.
If i helped you please hit the thanks button

Model: T-mobile LG G2
ROM:
Kernel:

The Following User Says Thank You to frettfreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OstrichSak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by frettfreak View Post
Nice write up and i think this is fantastic info.... Just curious though, doesn't titanium backup do this too?

I ran into an issue 1 time where my games did not get saved through titanium (well they were save i just couldn't restore) but it was because of the way the ROM implemented A2SD. Once i moved the games off the SD, i have never had an issue.
Titanium backup wil as long as your rooted. That's why this is a how to on how to backup Angry Birds w/o having root access.

willverduzco
Old
Portal Administrator
Thanks Meter 2796

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSak View Post
No idea what that means but I'm honored none-the-less.
Just means that at midnight eastern time, your guide will be featured on the XDA main page. Great guide, once again.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a news tip! - [moderate | film | foto | develop]
The Following User Says Thank You to willverduzco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

v155449508
Old
Thanks Meter 1
nice work!!

And I wonder if the Evo 4G couldn't get rooted yet or you just don't want to root it ???
The Following User Says Thank You to v155449508 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jastonas
Old
Thanks Meter 147

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by frettfreak View Post

Like you said, there are issues with titanium backup. Backup-Restore across different roms and versions also might cause hick ups.

Thank you for this guide
EVOLUTION
Quote:
iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC Desire > ZTE Blade > LG Optimus 2X (P990)> Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100) Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-i9300)
The Following User Says Thank You to jastonas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fihlvein
Old
Thanks Meter 124
This was awesome info. You know, originally I rooted my DHD only to get backups from Angry Birds. Now of course I'm flashing nightly CM builds, radios etc. just for the bonus.

I will definitely use this guide to back up my wifes non-rooted Angry Birds progress.

Tags
angry birds, backup, progress, rooted, unrooted