Fix- Battery drain 2.3.3 - high android OS

Search This thread

bashville

Oct 24, 2006
For me this android OS battery drain starts as soon as I open asphalt 5, been like this on both jvk and jvb. Dont even need to play just open it and exit and android os starts draining. A simple phone reboot stops the drain though.

I get the same. Not just Asphalt .. any CPU intensive activity. eg. graphic heavy games like Dungeon Hunter 2, Asphalt5/6, GT Racing, Hero of Sparta, Hawx ..

I also get a drain immediately after removing it from charge.

If I reboot immediately after removing the phone from charge (and don't play any games) I get great battery life (approx 75% better than 2.2.1)

Since only a few people are complaining about this drain perhaps I need to flash my phone again ..

hadji1

Dec 12, 2010
Athens
i v got the battery drain prob since 2.2.1 JPY...so i dont think its a Gingerbread issue..
i had darkys 9.3 with an excellent battery life (36 hours normal usage) and droped to max 8hours when os syndrome hit me...That continued on JS8 on different Roms (darkys, Jwve's)...and then i flashed stock JVB and Jwve's 4.1 with cf kernel and...thank God i can use my phone again:rolleyes:...allthough my batt life is max 17-18 hours which is not so good, but considering what happened to some of us, is at least one day life (with phone off during night)

p.s. i also bought a new battery so that 18hours life is with a brand new battery..:D

vcespon

Dec 10, 2007
Madrid
For me this android OS battery drain starts as soon as I open asphalt 5, been like this on both jvk and jvb. Dont even need to play just open it and exit and android os starts draining. A simple phone reboot stops the drain though.

This issue is really complex, because I'm not seeing that behaviour at all. Just did a test exclusively for this. Rebooted, Wifi, 3G, bluetooth GPS off. Kept the phone with screen off for 30 minutes. Opened Asphalt 5 and played for a couple of minutes. Exited the game and powered off screen. No extraordinary battery drain afterwards. Android OS appears very low on the list.

sc20110428171734.png

sc20110428171727.png

I'm running JVK, installed and hard-reset after that. CF-root and software update service blocked using autostarts utility.

surrealjam

Apr 30, 2010
Birmingham
I also get a drain immediately after removing it from charge.

If I reboot immediately after removing the phone from charge (and don't play any games) I get great battery life (approx 75% better than 2.2.1)

I have pretty much the same as this: often experiencing excessive battery drain immediately following a charge. Anything to look into here?...

MrDuese

Apr 15, 2011
on Darkys RC 5.3 i unplugged @ 100% and it fell to 96% in a second, after 2-3 minutes it recalibrated to 98-100%

intronauta

Aug 29, 2009
I see the problem with /system/bin/orientationd daemon/process. It stuck when some applications use the compass- orientation drivers and is preventing sleep mode.

In standby, in normal conditions, it doesn't appears and "So Android" consumption is normal:

Code:
adb shell -top -s cpu -m 15

But when I play at games like u-connect that are very sensitive with orientation feature, the daemon orientationd is stuck in memory until reboot and SO Android don't stop grow....

If I kill the daemon, nothing happens (autorestart) and kill and remove "execute" permission it works but with constant error in dmesg:

Code:
init: cannot execve('/system/bin/orientationd'): Permission denied

There is any safely way to restart this daemon-binary??

Sorry for my english :rolleyes:

Tatsuya79

Apr 9, 2011
@$omator: I tried it, wifi seems to be working without problem.

For the suspend bug, it happens to me when I launch a game (Bonsai Blast).
So I went to the market to download it again and after playing a bit, I left the phone on standby.
Then watchdog alerted me, suspend process above 40% CPU.

So no luck here but perhaps it can solve the problem of "wifi off when screen off" (I don't have this problem here, can't test it).

$omator

Dec 26, 2010
tri(p) city
www.facebook.com
yes that only should fix the wifi part of problem...

still some apps like duck hunter and cordy can cause high drain after close but thats those particular apps developer problem and can be solved by them only ;)

$omator

Dec 26, 2010
tri(p) city
www.facebook.com
So no luck here but perhaps it can solve the problem of "wifi off when screen off" (I don't have this problem here, can't test it).

here is tutorial how to make wifi go off right after screen off not after 15 minutes as it is set by default http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=774507

also by editing build.prop line
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval
and setting it to 120 from 15 you make wifi scan every 2 minutes for new networks not every 15 sec as it is by default
120 seems to be max value here...

both have positive impact on bat if you use phone ;]

silalaval

Sep 19, 2008
I dont have drain anymore.. In fact its the opposite :) check the screenshot... At this moment it is with 72 hours ;-)
538466fe-6bae-17f6.jpg

538466fe-6bf7-a24f.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

mpierce

Oct 21, 2005
Melbourne
I've just installed it on Juwes Gingerbread ROM v4.2 using Damian's overclocked GB Kernel 2.1, with JVK modem.

Watchdog currently showing suspend at 0.4% 0.0Mb after 58 minutes.

Will update.

vcespon

Dec 10, 2007
Madrid
With Stock rom 2.3.3. Only normal root applied.

Same here, I just settled for this:

1) Flash JVK with complete wipe
2) Root using fugu root
3) Flash back JVK stock kernel
4) Disable software updates using autostarts

I don't see Andoid OS ever taking more than 3% of battery. I have the same battery drain than with Android 2.1 or 2.2. Leaving the phone in standby for 8 hours it only takes 2-3% if 3G data is off (Wifi, bluetooth, GPS off too). I see this results pretty normal.

I have 4 GPU intensive games and none of them does anything after closing it. Maybe other games behave badly, in which case you should contact the developer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there

I just like to share my experience with battery drain in both JVK and JVB and give you a possible fix.

I experienced battery drain both in jvk and jvb and when you go setting - battery check, I would see high android OS - up to 60 percent which just drank the juice out of my phone.

I've decided to test all the apps, deleting one by one in order to locate which app was causing this problem and I found it to be "software update".

So here is a possible fix for you guys who are experiencing similar problem.

Go to setting - manage apps - all apps - find software update - delete data

In both JVK and JVB it solved my battery drain problem almost instanly.
    I also did battery recalibration but doubt it played any part.

I hope above method will solve the battery drain problem.

P.S

does anyone know what exactly software update does?
    and how to delete it completely off the phone.
    I doubt I will be using OTA update or anything like that since I'm a big fan of odin.

Cheers
    The fix has been working on JVK and JVB ROMs, check other threads about this issue. You can delete the data of the Software Update application, but it will be regenerated after a reboot. If you want to get rid of this, just root the phone and delete the following APKs

syncmldm.apk
    syncmlds.apk
    wssyncmlnps.apk

Just look at this: After 17 hours with light usage, still 68% battery.

sc20110420110308.png
    Hey Angel, I posted a thread about this fix, can I quote you? So that credits will go to you. I think they need to know also your above post. :)

Sure, go ahead.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
    How to reduce the usage of display,cuz mine reach 72% on XXJVK.The rest got minimum usage.

Set brightness level to minimum and/or flash a custom rom that tweaks the brightness to go even lower. Its still going to be the highest thing you see in usage, it takes a lot of juice to power this beautiful screen.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
    Like I said Android OS is not triggered only by software update, actually there is NO supporting evidence that it is the main culprit! A lot of things can trigger Android OS to gobble up battery...

If you want a simple fix and want to know more, read this.