[APP][ROOT] FasterFix [V1.5]

Search This thread

cykalu

May 19, 2009
Melbourne
QR doesnt work, Market disallows me from installing it - saying Compatibility issue even when i access it from my phone, doesnt work from desktop either... why market so bad nows? :(

edit: nvm, manually changed gps.conf ._.

Last edited:

The_Double

May 10, 2010
Just pushed a 1.5 release that adds some more servers, and makes the UI somewhat easier to understand.

I'm getting a lot of bad feedback from motorola defy and LG optimus 2x users. Error reports suggest that it can't read the gps.conf file. (tough i can't know for sure, because the market error reporting service doesn't show me on what device the bug occurred)

Can someone with a defy or 2x please confirm, the existence of non-existence of the etc/gps.conf file on your device? I also attached a copy of my app with debug enabled. If someone could send me a logcat it would be highly appreciated.

note: I'll be out sailing for a week, so I can't react to your posts for until 20th of may.

Warning: 1.5.0 contains a bug when using landscape orientation. (This has been fixed in 1.5.2 available in the android market.) Use the debug version only for making a logcat.

Last edited:
Reactions: lhinsz and Sander

Sander

Mar 28, 2005
Wow, this really works! I sometimes had to wait 2 or 3 minutes for a fix before using this app. Now it takes me a few seconds. Thanks man!

Antiheld86

Apr 12, 2007
For an unknown reason market doesn't find the app when i search it on the phone. From PC it say it would be installed but it isn't.

Could someone post a direct link to the .apk or send a PM?

I would appreciate

Does it work on rooted device with stockROM and busybox?

Last edited:

The_Double

May 10, 2010
On what device are you if you cant find it?

Its hidden for the lg x2 and defy, and should be in the market for all other 1.6+ devices.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

lhinsz

Oct 6, 2010
Northern California
Multiple choices for custom pools?

Just pushed a 1.5 release that adds some more servers, and makes the UI somewhat easier to understand.

I'm getting a lot of bad feedback from motorola defy and LG optimus 2x users. Error reports suggest that it can't read the gps.conf file. (tough i can't know for sure, because the market error reporting service doesn't show me on what device the bug occurred)

Can someone with a defy or 2x please confirm, the existence of non-existence of the etc/gps.conf file on your device? I also attached a copy of my app with debug enabled. If someone could send me a logcat it would be highly appreciated.

note: I'll be out sailing for a week, so I can't react to your posts for until 20th of may.

Warning: 1.5.0 contains a bug when using landscape orientation. (This has been fixed in 1.5.2 available in the android market.) Use the debug version only for making a logcat.
:D Thanks for this app!!! It is awesome, and the latest update is great!! I wish I could help you with the LG or Defy but don't have either :(

After this update, I kind of figured out the "custom" option, took me a while, he he he, but I wanted to thank you for including it. BTW... if you are back from sailing, I just have a question and maybe feature request?? Can "multiple" servers be used? i.e.: the pool.ntp.org site lists the following for U.S. servers:
server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
server 3.us.pool.ntp.org
So would it help to add multiple choices? :confused: And, if so, is there any way we could do this with your app -- maybe a future feature??

THANKS AGAIN for such a helpful app!!! :D

Side note for other "noob" XDA members like me ;) - If you want to check out using the "custom" option that Double has given us in this great app, you can go to http://www.pool.ntp.org and look for the best server(s) for your area of the world!!

Just reveived my Samsung SII and faster fix not working... (black screen)

Do you have Root Access yet? Otherwise it won't work anyway.

The_Double: might be a suggestion for a new version: ad root-access check, and give a notification if it fails. Otherwise you'll keep on getting these remarks.

It works fine on my rooted Samsung Galaxy Spica. Hope to test it on a newer device (LG 2X or Galaxy S2) soon :)

The_Double

May 10, 2010
It already checks for root. But it doesnt for busybox, perm-root and everything else that can go wrong.

The logs i have suggest that it hangs waiting for a write operation to complete, its a bug outside of the app. I could let it do the operation on another thread so it wont just give a black screen, but it still wont work.

The problems with the defy and 2x might be fixable, but i dont know what goes wrong there. Still waiting for a proper log.

Btw, im not gonna add any more individual servers, for now... and afaik android doesnt support multiple servers.

dancer_69

Jan 2, 2007
Version 1.5.2 stoped working. I haven't problems until 1.1 version. Now I get this error when the app starts:
Can't get mountpoint, not busybox installed?

Here is the logcat outpout:
Code:
I/AdMobSDK(31792): Publisher ID set to a14d4d72d8ca4ea
E/su      (31802): bind failed with 1: Operation not permitted
W/su      (31802): request rejected (10104->0 /system/bin/sh)
W/System.err(31792): java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
W/System.err(31792): 	at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.write(Native Method)
W/System.err(31792): 	at dalvik.system.BlockGuard$WrappedFileSystem.write(BlockGuard.java:171)
W/System.err(31792): 	at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(FileOutputStream.java:300)
W/System.err(31792): 	at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(FileOutputStream.java:256)
W/System.err(31792): 	at java.io.DataOutputStream.writeBytes(DataOutputStream.java:167)
W/System.err(31792): 	at com.Double.FasterFix.FasterFix.getCurrent(FasterFix.java:117)
W/System.err(31792): 	at com.Double.FasterFix.FasterFix.onCreate(FasterFix.java:75)
W/System.err(31792): 	at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1047)
W/System.err(31792): 	at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:1722)
W/System.err(31792): 	at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:1784)
W/System.err(31792): 	at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1500(ActivityThread.java:123)
W/System.err(31792): 	at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:939)
W/System.err(31792): 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
W/System.err(31792): 	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:130)
W/System.err(31792): 	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3835)
W/System.err(31792): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
W/System.err(31792): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:507)
W/System.err(31792): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:841)
W/System.err(31792): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:599)
W/System.err(31792): 	at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
W/AdMobSDK(31792): Ignoring requestFreshAd() because we are requesting an ad right now already.
I/AdMobSDK(31792): No fill.  Server replied that no ads are available (846ms)
I/ActivityManager(  188): Displayed com.Double.FasterFix/.FasterFix: +3s195ms
D/skia    (31274): purging 6K from font cache [1 entries]
D/dalvikvm(31274): GC_EXPLICIT freed 51K, 51% free 2671K/5379K, external 0K/0K, paused 94ms
D/skia    (31022): purging 338K from font cache [43 entries]
D/dalvikvm(31022): GC_EXPLICIT freed 62K, 52% free 2710K/5575K, external 70K/582K, paused 83ms

My device is rooted and busybox is installed at /system/xbin

The_Double

May 10, 2010
@dancer
It doesnt get permissions, problems with root. I dont know for sure, but i tought it expected root in /system/bin, as it used to be there. I'll look into it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does getting a GPS-fix take ages?

The answer to all (or at least one) of your problems:
    FasterFix
    icon.png

Root and busybox required

5jeB1.png
    chart

Market Link
    Download APK

The app improves the GPS NTP time settings in your gps.conf file and adds a gps suppliant host.

Simply download and run the app. SHOULD work on all devices. Tested on Galaxy S and HTC Desire (S-OFF).
    Root and busybox are needed, modern HTC phones need to be S-OFF!

Changelog:
    V1.5.0
    - UX improvemens
    - Added more regions to the list.
    - support for small screen devices.
    - Dropped android 1.5 support.

V1.1.7
    -Bugfixes

V1.1.5
    -Ads to earn back those 25 bucks for the developer account.
    -Removed gradients, Gingerbreadified ;)
    -No more crashes when using without root.

V1.1
    - Added Germany, France and Japan
    - Move to SD support.

V1.0
    - Over 15000 users, no bugreports since RC3. appears to be stable.

RC3
    -Fixed problems caused by titanium backup busybox.
    -Slight UI enhancement.

If it just gives a black screen:
    It appears to happen because of problems with busybox.
    If you have a black screen, try these steps:
    1. Restart the app (use back key to exit it)
    2. Download the busybox installer app in the market, this version is confirmed working.
    3. send me a bug report.

If it helped you, , click on the ads or just Thank me ->
    Hej,

hopefully you all are fine and good in health, for those who are still facing problem in their gps signals or locking time etc etc. I am giving you a small tip please try it,

Requirments:
    1. Phone should be rooted.
    2. Root Explore (can be download from market)

Procedure:
    1.Edit your 'gps.conf' file inside 'system\etc\' and add following lines of text:

Usually your 'gps.conf' looks like:

NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
    XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
    SUPL_PORT=7276

Now change it to:
    NTP_SERVER=0.se.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=1.se.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=2.se.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=3.se.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=0.europe.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=1.europe.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=2.europe.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=3.europe.pool.ntp.org
    XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
    SUPL_PORT=7276

Please remember the first four servers should be change to the letters of your country like i used se for sweden and you may try at for austria etc etc.

The list of the European Countries are given below check your country and use your country characters in first four servers.

Austria — at.pool.ntp.org (45)
    Switzerland — ch.pool.ntp.org (59)
    Germany — de.pool.ntp.org (302)
    Denmark — dk.pool.ntp.org (37)
    Spain — es.pool.ntp.org (24)
    France — fr.pool.ntp.org (147)
    Italy — it.pool.ntp.org (24)
    Luxembourg — lu.pool.ntp.org (8)
    Netherlands — nl.pool.ntp.org (121)
    Norway — no.pool.ntp.org (22)
    Poland — pl.pool.ntp.org (35)
    Sweden — se.pool.ntp.org (30)
    Slovenia — si.pool.ntp.org (21)
    United Kingdom — uk.pool.ntp.org (137)
    Finland — fi.pool.ntp.org (37)
    Ireland — ie.pool.ntp.org (18)
    Russian Federation — ru.pool.ntp.org (80)
    Belgium — be.pool.ntp.org (19)
    Portugal — pt.pool.ntp.org (9)
    Greece — gr.pool.ntp.org (6)
    Hungary — hu.pool.ntp.org (41)
    Bulgaria — bg.pool.ntp.org (25)
    Romania — ro.pool.ntp.org (22)
    Czech Republic — cz.pool.ntp.org (25)
    Yugoslavia — yu.pool.ntp.org (4)
    Estonia — ee.pool.ntp.org (4)
    Belarus — by.pool.ntp.org (9)
    Slovakia — sk.pool.ntp.org (6)
    South Africa - za.pool.ntp.org (9)
    Ukraine — ua.pool.ntp.org (50)
    Lithuania — lt.pool.ntp.org (2)
    Macedonia — mk.pool.ntp.org (4)
    Moldova — md.pool.ntp.org (6)
    Latvia — lv.pool.ntp.org (11)
    Croatia — hr.pool.ntp.org (4)
    Republic of Serbia — rs.pool.ntp.org (7)
    Bosnia and Herzegovina — ba.pool.ntp.org (1)

2. You must restart your device after editing gps.conf file.

More Detail about servers :
    NTP server is used to get accurate time, without you can't get a correct GPS location.
    XTRA is the GPS Satellite position servers.
    SUPL is the Location server uses for A-GPS. in this case Google's own.

didn't work on my Galaxy S

I installed and run it, and it didn't do nothing.
    Just blanked the screen and back to the app menu in less than 1 sec.

it was obviously uninstalled immediately after :( :mad:
    Hi,

I use this for a long time ago, but last week I change my phone to THL-W100S with android 4.2.2 and don´t work anymore, I have a black screen and nothing, only home button to return.

Regards

install busy box from playstore and restart the app.