Entourage pocket edge development

Search This thread

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
ALL google apps are now working correctly. FYI, I learned through the process that if you have to register through the youtube app, Gmail might not sync correctly and you may have problems with the market. This made my pocket edge 10000x more valuable...so give it a try!

I'll try to explain how I did it, I made so many changes it's hard to be sure what the fix was.

To do this the way I did, you will need a rooted phone with the 2.2.1 version of Google apps. This might work with another version of Gapps? Hopefully someone can find an easier method.

On the phone:

1) Convert all google apps to "User Apps" available in Titanium Backup Pro 3.8.1 by long pressing on the app and scrolling to the bottum. I'm not sure which files made it work, but GoogleServicesFramework and Vendor are important. I also did NetworkLocation, MarketUpdater, Gmail, Youtube and the rest.

2) Backup all google apps + data to mini SD card.

On the pocket edge:

1) Put mini SD card in edge and restore all google apps + data. You will need the pro version of Titanium Backup to use the fast install method. This was the main reason I used Titanium Backup was that some of the required files failed on using the package manager.

2) Now, convert all those installed user apps on the edge BACK to system apps. VERY important, took my awhile to figure this out. I suspect that google apps have to be system apps to work correctly.

3) Give it a try, if Market gives you an error, reboot and wait for a network to be connected, then try again. Go to the next step only if you have issues with it. You should be able to set up your google account through Market or GMail.

4) I also did the "Market Fix", which involves changing your build.prop with Root Explorer to include "ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys" A tutorial is found here: http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-861044.html We might be able to find a fingerprint that more closely matches the edge?

Some of the apps still won't install (like Angry Birds), I suspect this is a hardware problem.

The titanium method may not be necessary if anyone wants to copy the gapps apks to the /system/app folder with root exploer and use another method to make it work.

Good luck everyone!!!

Reactions: Keslynn and emusan

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
Tonight after work I'm thinking of playing with the /system/build.prop file some more to get angry birds running. My guess is that angry birds (and other apps) are looking at this file to see whether or not it meets their hardware requirements. You'd think that with a 1.2Ghz processsor, our hardware should be as powerful as most phones out there!

Would I brick my edge if I altered the build.prop file to read to the following? Would I need a new kernel for this to work?

ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
I thought that angry birds wouldn't work due to the lack of flash support on the edge... but I may be wrong, I'm new to android.

That could be true. I did some more research on this and it looks like the gpu could be a problem. Users of the G-tablet had to update an open gl driver to get it working on their more powerful tablet. I think I might try a few of these tweaks I found on another forum that apply to an identical system (without the e-ink side) and call it quits before I hose up something and have to start over.

Some build.prop tweaks for battery improvements and performance.
Just copy these lines at the bottom of the build.prop :

Reduce wifi scans interval :
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 90

Increase heapsize :
dalvik.vm.heapsize=40m

Better list scrolling :
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=60

I gotta say I'm very impressed with this little tablet. Got it for my son to have some fun with...now I'm eyeing the G-tablet.

geneven

May 17, 2011
Non Woot Buyer

I knew about the Woot sale but didn't have the $150 because I was buying the EEE Pod Transformer. I decided to return the Transformer and now bought the Entourage Pocketable Edge from Amazon for $200.

And so far, I hate it. I have a Nokia N900 that seems to do everything better.

However, I am ecstatic to have found this thread. I've removed the Edge from it's return box and am giving it another chance. I really don't like to return things.

So thanks for the valuable information, everyone. I feel so clueless...

kennyminot

Jan 9, 2011
Thanks

I knew it was possible to get the Market to work! I'm off to the zoo with my girlfriend, but I'll give this a shot when I get back. Unfortunately, that means I will need to root my phone. Boo!

When I look at the logcat file, I've discovered that Angry Birds and other applications seem to "lock" after a screen orientation command. However, I've also noticed that some other games run slow. For example, Paper Toss and Tank Battle operate like crap. With a 1.2 ghz processor (which is clocked at 800 mhz), you would think this thing is more than capable of handling these games.

K

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
I'm sure there is an easier way to do this...but I just don't have the time to re-solve the issue. If you could find a way to zip the apks, put them in the Titanium folder and have Titanium install them and convert to system without the phone step, that might be worth looking in to. If you already have most of the google apks installed...I'd try and convert just the Vendor and GoogleServicesFramework.apk to system with Titanium? Maybe that's all that needs done? One thing is certain now...GoogleServicesFramework.apk and Vendor.apk MUST be system apps.

Another thing to keep in mind is you must convert back to system on the phone after you move them..otherwise google won't work on the phone.

hemAndroid

Dec 2, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
ClockworkMod Recovery anyone?

Good news on the Market now working. Thanks to those involved! I haven't tried it yet, but will be later tonight.

Anyone go as far as trying to get ClockworkMod Recovery installed/flashed? If that worked...then I would think we could install the CM Google Apps stuff directly into the system from Recovery.

Anyone know how to get into stock recovery on this device? I have tried a few key combinations when powering up, but nothing took...

Last edited:

emusan

May 15, 2011
www.somestupidwebsite.com
I knew about the Woot sale but didn't have the $150 because I was buying the EEE Pod Transformer. I decided to return the Transformer and now bought the Entourage Pocketable Edge from Amazon for $200.

And so far, I hate it. I have a Nokia N900 that seems to do everything better.

However, I am ecstatic to have found this thread. I've removed the Edge from it's return box and am giving it another chance. I really don't like to return things.

So thanks for the valuable information, everyone. I feel so clueless...

I too have an n900, and I don't know why you would expect any other device to do anything better, that thing is a POWERHOUSE in every way. However, it is nice to browse the internet and read emails on a larger screen, and the support for USB HID is FAR better on this than on the n900.

Also, I find that reading on e-ink is way better than reading on a normal screen(I've read a few books on my n900 but its not even comparable to e-ink imho).

Also, I don't suppose anyone could send me a .zip archive of the files I would need to do all this? I don't own a rooted android device with official market access(just dual boot on my n900 lol).

Last edited:

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
I tried clockworkmod...no luck. All the hardware models supported appear to be different from the edge as far as I can tell.

I think there is a good chance that someone could put together an update.zip that includes the gapps and an update.sh file telling the edge to only update the gapps files. Then you'd just install like a normal firmware update. I just don't have the time to do this...

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
Good news on the Market now working. Thanks to those involved! I haven't tried it yet, but will be later tonight.

Anyone go as far as trying to get ClockworkMod Recovery installed/flashed? If that worked...then I would think we could install the CM Google Apps stuff directly into the system from Recovery.

Anyone know how to get into stock recovery on this device? I have tried a few key combinations when powering up, but nothing took...

Stock recovery:

I believe this may help

1. Download Golden Update from Entourage here: http://www.entourageedge.com/support...ate.golden.zip

2. Rename the file to update.zip then copy the update to the root of an SD card and pop the SD card in your eDGe

3. Press and hold "rotate" and "menu" buttons and turn on your eDGe using power button. You need to hold "rotate" and "menu" for about 7 seconds to start firmware update process.

I believe this ought to factory reset your edge.

emusan

May 15, 2011

I believe you need to download a file update.zip available on the entourage website, then hold down two buttons(not sure which), then it will enter recovery. There should be a support article on entourage's website for this.

@brianb5010,

if you(or anyone else that has gotten this working) could send me the needed .apk's/other files(if any), I could take a stab at the update.zip, no promises as I'm rather new to all this, but its worth a try :).

EDIT: lol ninjad
ALSO, hating this anti-spam, I understand why they have it, but still annoying lol.

Last edited:

kennyminot

Jan 9, 2011
Working Market

Brian -

You are a total genius. I never would have thought to use Titanium Backup in that way. I used a slightly different process, which doesn't require the pay version. Essentially, you go into your rooted Android phone and create backups of the required programs. Then, you go onto your Edge, and you copy your phone's backup files into the Titanium Backup folder. Finally, you go into Titanium Backup and restore all the required applications.

I've been working on this for days - so glad to finally have a working market! :)

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
Hey guys, I was just playing angry birds. Pretty fun on the big screen. Let me know if anyone wants a youtube video or something...basically, once you get market working, just connect your edge to the pc and turn on SD card sharing. Then download angry birds from the market. It's a little laggy...but smooth enough to make my son happy. I'm working on some tweaks to get it running fast enough.

EDIT:

Use this version of Angry Birds: http://www.getjar.com/mobile/71468/angry-birds-rio-for-marvell-brownstone/?s=phones

Also, you might need flash install (I got the link and details from the entourage forum)

Last edited:
Reactions: Keslynn

emusan

May 15, 2011
lol could some kind soul please send me those sweet files, this all sounds so great, but I don't have an official phone to play around with, and I don't think my friends would enjoy it if I rooted theirs ;).

Don't mean to beg, but this is all too good to be true, here I thought that this device was great as-is, but it just keeps getting better and better.

Sent from my edgejr using XDA Premium App

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
I keep getting a Force Close when I try to open the Market. It worked long enough to let me register my Google account but hasn't opened since. I edited the build.prop but no dice. Any suggestions?

emusan

May 15, 2011
I can understand not wanting to send me the files if they might nclude personal data, I wouldnt either.does anyone know if this would have a chance of working usong the android emulator so there would not be any personal data involved? or for that matter if someone has a virgin phone that they wouldnt mind rooting and sending files from before any personal data is placed on it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ALL google apps are now working correctly. FYI, I learned through the process that if you have to register through the youtube app, Gmail might not sync correctly and you may have problems with the market. This made my pocket edge 10000x more valuable...so give it a try!

I'll try to explain how I did it, I made so many changes it's hard to be sure what the fix was.

To do this the way I did, you will need a rooted phone with the 2.2.1 version of Google apps. This might work with another version of Gapps? Hopefully someone can find an easier method.

On the phone:

1) Convert all google apps to "User Apps" available in Titanium Backup Pro 3.8.1 by long pressing on the app and scrolling to the bottum. I'm not sure which files made it work, but GoogleServicesFramework and Vendor are important. I also did NetworkLocation, MarketUpdater, Gmail, Youtube and the rest.

2) Backup all google apps + data to mini SD card.

On the pocket edge:

1) Put mini SD card in edge and restore all google apps + data. You will need the pro version of Titanium Backup to use the fast install method. This was the main reason I used Titanium Backup was that some of the required files failed on using the package manager.

2) Now, convert all those installed user apps on the edge BACK to system apps. VERY important, took my awhile to figure this out. I suspect that google apps have to be system apps to work correctly.

3) Give it a try, if Market gives you an error, reboot and wait for a network to be connected, then try again. Go to the next step only if you have issues with it. You should be able to set up your google account through Market or GMail.

4) I also did the "Market Fix", which involves changing your build.prop with Root Explorer to include "ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys" A tutorial is found here: http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-861044.html We might be able to find a fingerprint that more closely matches the edge?

Some of the apps still won't install (like Angry Birds), I suspect this is a hardware problem.

The titanium method may not be necessary if anyone wants to copy the gapps apks to the /system/app folder with root exploer and use another method to make it work.

Good luck everyone!!!
    How To Guide

I've posted a full description of the procedure for getting the Android Market to work on the Entourage forums. Once again, thanks to brianb5010 for figuring this out! Right now, the process requires having another rooted Android device with access to the Market.

Here's the link:

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums...Android-Market-on-your-eDGe&p=20563#post20563
    Checking in too, I got mine yesterday and am very excited about the device.
    What I was able to establish quickly is that most 2.2 apps will work out of the box on the Pocket Edge (I made apk backups of my apps on my N1, copied them onto the SD card of the Pocket Edge and voila, I had most of my favorite apps :)

I would be specifically interested in knowing how to access the e-ink screen programatically. Seems that the current apps focus mostly on the LCD screen.
    Just rooted mine. :) It was super easy. I downloaded the z4root app from the Amazon App Store and clicked Permanent Root. Et voila!

Now to install AdFree Android and Ti Backup. They make Android life so much easier.

I just ordered one of these yesterday after finding out my friends girlfriend has one. She let me play with it for awhile and man I can see the potential for this device. I can't wait to get mine so I can start tweaking with it.

I'm actually working on a custom ROM for my HTC Hero CDMA but I might put that on hold once I get this and see what type of development I can pull off with it. I hope more people chime in this thread so we can attract attention to developers and perhaps get some custom roms/apps/themes for our PE.

Regards,

rast4man