Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,156 Members 40,332 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Aria screen cracked=no warranty=workmanship?

Tip us?

drumist
Old
(Last edited by drumist; 27th May 2011 at 10:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsivil_audio View Post
You guys should do your research. The aria does indeed HAVE gorilla glass. Go look at the Corning website if you don't believe me. They list it under the devices containing gorilla glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/#featured-products
Could be. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not completely convinced that their website is correct. It seems weird how much Gorilla Glass was hyped up for some phones (i.e., Galaxy S when it came out) if it was already used on nearly every Android phone, even the very first Android phone (T-Mobile G1).

HTC customer support has even said certain phones do not use Gorilla Glass, including ones listed on Corning's website. Although I don't necessarily believe HTC support either.

I have scratched my digitizer with my finger (not fingernail -- just the pad of my finger that you are supposed to use). I assume something abrasive got on my finger to cause that to happen, although I have no idea what or where it could have come from. The two scratches are right in the path where I normally swipe left or right to switch between home screens. Anyway, it wasn't like I was applying any significant amount of force with my finger so I find it hard to believe this is really Gorilla Glass. Unless somehow I got a microscopic spec of diamond on my finger? :P Either that or Gorilla Glass is not all it's cracked up to be.

ECEXCURSION
Old
Thanks Meter 521
Weird that it's listed on their site, I've always been under the same impression as drumist. They would have advertised it if they actually had it.

My girlfriend's Samsung galaxy s has gorilla glass and physically feels different. I've always been super paranoid about scratching the phone with my fingernails or other. I even keep an entire pocket dedicated to it.

I guess there's only one way to find out for sure though. Take a key and drag it across the digitizer. I nominate unsivil_audio for the experiment.
Current Phone: HTC One (T-Mobile)
Previous Phones: HTC One XL w/ CleanROM 6 R2 & ElementalX-6.4, HTC Aria w/ Liberated 2.2.2, Motorola PEBL

My HTC One vs One XL Review
My HTC One XL battery life eats your battery life...

unsivil_audio
Old
Thanks Meter 145

DONATE TO ME
Look at all the independent tests of gorilla glass on the internet. Probably one of the biggest gimmicks in phones today, and not nearly as durable as the name suggests. I'm not stupid nor gullable, I realize its still glass and is highly prone to cracks. It will not tolerate side impacts, which is why even a small drop can shatter it.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App

Moto X (1053) -
Stock, retired Nexus 5 - Carbon'd CODEBLUE, Galaxy Note 8.0 - Carbon'd KK, Nexus 4 - Stock, retired
Nook HD+,Motorola Atrix 2, HTC Aria, Nook Color,HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 16gb - Sold

wiithepeng
Old
Thanks Meter 42

DONATE TO ME
I guess Aria has Gorilla Glass? http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_aria-3392.phpLook at the display category.

Tokobo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECEXCURSION View Post
My girlfriend's Samsung galaxy s has gorilla glass and physically feels different. I've always been super paranoid about scratching the phone with my fingernails or other. I even keep an entire pocket dedicated to it.

I guess there's only one way to find out for sure though. Take a key and drag it across the digitizer. I nominate unsivil_audio for the experiment.
This. Aria's screen felt different from Galaxy S in my opinion too.

But maybe, gorilla glass only refers to the material? There could be additional coating (by other brands such as Samsung) or something like that.

ECEXCURSION
Old
Thanks Meter 521
It does not have gorilla glass. And even if it did, gorilla glass still breaks if you drop it on the side. My girlfriend shattered the screen on her Samsung vibrant last week. Just be thankful you can buy replacements for the aria. If you break a vibrant screen you're SOL.
Current Phone: HTC One (T-Mobile)
Previous Phones: HTC One XL w/ CleanROM 6 R2 & ElementalX-6.4, HTC Aria w/ Liberated 2.2.2, Motorola PEBL

My HTC One vs One XL Review
My HTC One XL battery life eats your battery life...

unsivil_audio
Old
Thanks Meter 145

DONATE TO ME
I guess ignorance is bliss.

Sent from HTC Aria - CM7 NIGHTLY + Drowning Kernel

Moto X (1053) -
Stock, retired Nexus 5 - Carbon'd CODEBLUE, Galaxy Note 8.0 - Carbon'd KK, Nexus 4 - Stock, retired
Nook HD+,Motorola Atrix 2, HTC Aria, Nook Color,HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 16gb - Sold

FlyinHi
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla800lbs View Post
I dropped my Aria many times, from different heights and onto different surfaces. This pattern of abuse logically resulted in the screen cracking when my little Aria slipped out of my unzipped jacket pocket onto a hard granite floor in my office elevator lobby. Do I blame HTC for the lack of workmanship? No. They never claimed that their phones are shatterproof.
I dropped my Aria once, it landed on it's bottom left corner, from about 3ft up on concrete. I have had the huge crack in it for several months now.

pa0lo25
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Physical damage on the unit is not covered under warranty for any brand. Crack LCD/screens is a prime example of abuse/negligence, and it is not covered by the warranty (this hold true with any gadget,TV,notebooks).

lambition
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Most mobile devices with glass digitizer is tempered glass.
Tempered glass is very strong when force is applied to flat surface. However, if it is hit on the edge or hit with sharp object, it will break rather easily.

Since aria has removable back cover, and when cover is removed glass edges show up, it is very likely to land on glass edge when dropped and break the glass.

This may be a design problem, but not defect.