[GUIDE]The Definitive CM7/MIUI Flashing Tutorial - Updated(21-08-2011)

Search This thread

slotteh

Jan 24, 2011
Singapore
So, flashing Cyanogenmod7/MIUI on the SGS i9000 is an area covered in many, many tutorials to date. However, the vast majority of them are outdated or just downright confusing, this guide tries to make flashing CM7/MIUI as painless as possible.

DISCLAIMER: This guide is based on my personal experience in flashing CM7/MIUI and i take NO RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER in whatever untoward happens to your phone and/or life if you follow this. Also, this guide is meant for the SGS I9000GT PHONE ONLY, other variants please do not follow this guide to the letter and download the appropriate files for flashing.

Edit: This guide can be used to flash MIUI roms as well, seeing as they share the same requirements of needing Froyo bootloaders.

MIUI roms
available:
1.MIUI Official [MIUI.us]
2. Galnet MIUI [Galnet and team]
3. MIUI+ [Decalc and Mothatt]
4. fitMIUI [Andro!de]
5 Nothing Fancy [spasms]
Note that this is not an exhaustive list.
Okay, lets go

Now, there are 2 ways to go about flashing CM7/MIUI.

1. ROMmanager method.

-Simple, fast but thats another tutorial altogether

2. The ODIN + CWM flashing method.
- That's what this tutorials all about!

NOTE: For those who wish to pursue Method 1, rschenck has written a guide on it.

Okay, now for the tutorial.

Firstly, find out what firmware you are running. Gingerbread bootloaders are now able to run MIUI/CM7. These give better battery life and are thus encouraged.

Go to ->SETTINGS ->ABOUT PHONE and look at what Android/Firmware Version you are running. If you are on 2.3.x, please skip the conditional step, if you are 2.1.x OR 2.2.x, you have to upgrade your bootloaders to 2.3.x.

CONDITIONAL STEP: Upgrade to GB bootloaders. (FOR 2.1.X AND 2.2.X FIRMWARE VERSIONS ONLY, 2.3.X FIRMWARES PLEASE SKIP THIS SECTION.)

Go to EZboot page.

1. Go to that website and download the Gingerbread bootloaders.
2. Download Odin, if you haven't done so already.
3. If you don't have Kies, you would need Samsung Drivers, which you can easily find around this forum. I believe its a sticky somewhere.
4. Open Odin and put your phone in download mode before connecting it.
5. Set up Odin as per picture in the link provided(The gingerbread one)
6. Flash and wait for reboot!

/END OF CONDITIONAL STEP.

2. Acquiring CM7/MIUI.

CM7 users: CM7 uses the term Nightlies, which are actually so called "experimental" builds that are updated, well, nightly. Despite it being called experimental, most nightlies are actually stable for "everyday usage". So don't be scared to flash 'em!

So,

1. Download the latest(topmost) version of CM7 or the various MIUI roms. (Links above)

2. Transfer the .zip file onto your phone through ADB push or USB cable.

3. Make sure your phone is not connected to your computer or anything. You're almost there!

Third, Flashing time.

1. Boot into recovery mode using the following method.
(a) Phone off.
(b) Press in the following order: VOLUP, HOME, POWER.

2. Now you have to clean out your phone.
-Wipe CACHE
-Go into advance options, WIPE DALVIK CACHE
-Go into mounts and storage. FORMAT SYSTEM, DATA AND CACHE. (Three separate moves)

3. Go to 'Install zip from sdcard' and scroll to your CM7/MIUI .zip file.

Flash.

Wait for reboot. And. You are done.

Congratulations, you are now running CM7/MIUI.

For CM7 users: Go get GAPPs(Google Apps) for Android Market and other android apps. Stay updated by flashing updated Nightlies.

[Small expansion of guide] Flashing from MIUI
If coming from MIUI rom, and wishing to switch to CM7(or vice versa)
1. Download newest version of CM7(or MIUI, whichever the case) and place in phone.
2. Boot into recovery. Format Cache and System. Not necessary to format Data(will erase all apps) but is recommended for stability purposes. You can backup your apps using Titanium Backup or use the native backup app in MIUI.
3. Install from zip and choose the correct file. Flash it.
Done.

Please comment if this was helpful to you. And THANK if it helped you!:)

Credits:
codeworkx - http://twitter.com/codeworkx
coolya - http://twitter.com/dumdidum
guiper -http://twitter.com/guiperpt
-All for CM7
nitr8 - For EZboot
rschenck - For his guide
And of course, myself for writing this.

Last edited:

evilsopure

Jul 15, 2008
Now, there are 2 ways to go about flashing CM7.

1. ROMmanager method.

-Simpler, faster BUT requires premium version of ROMmanager(purchasable in market)
Note: Premium version not required but that's another tutorial altogether.

I know this is supposed to be the definitive non-confusing guide, but I started reading your guide and 10 secs into it, you've posted confusing info:

info 1 - you state this first method requires PREMIUM ROMmanager
info 2 - in the very next sentence you state 'PREMIUM version not required"

evilsopure

Jul 15, 2008
After reading the rest of your guide, I have to conclude that it's just as - if not more than - confusing as other 'user guides' found in these forums. Your guide is only suitable for people who have learned by trial and error and are already comfortable with the nuances of wiping and flashing their phone.

Experienced users like myself have done it so many times I could do it with my eyes closed now, so I already know how to avoid missteps even if given incomplete, misleading or outright contradictory instructions, which your guide is full of.

I wish I had the time to go through the errors with a fine toothed comb, but I honestly don't at the moment (@work). That said, this guide either needs a complete re-write to improve readability and logic flow, or just be removed altogether.

slotteh

Jan 24, 2011
Singapore
After reading the rest of your guide, I have to conclude that it's just as - if not more than - confusing as other 'user guides' found in these forums. Your guide is only suitable for people who have learned by trial and error and are already comfortable with the nuances of wiping and flashing their phone.

Experienced users like myself have done it so many times I could do it with my eyes closed now, so I already know how to avoid missteps even if given incomplete, misleading or outright contradictory instructions, which your guide is full of.

I wish I had the time to go through the errors with a fine toothed comb, but I honestly don't at the moment (@work). That said, this guide either needs a complete re-write to improve readability and logic flow, or just be removed altogether.

Alright thanks for the feedback. It's the first guide I've tried to write so I think I've messed up a lot probably. I'll definitely try to re-write it. But thanks for the criticism.

Also, you've identified one area where I'm not very clear(ROManager part) and thanks for that. Do you have other specific examples of my post which are error-filled so that I can work on them? I want this thread to work. Thanks again:)

WarHero

Aug 12, 2010
Odense
Are you sure if it's safe to flash MIUI rom with GB Firmware on every single one of the roms? I'm really considering fitMIUI, any suggestions?
Thanks for a nice guide. :)

n99flake

Aug 13, 2009
Eastbourne
Revise?

This section is not clear...

"Go to ->SETTINGS ->ABOUT PHONE and look at what Android/Firmware Version you are running. If you are on 2.2.x, please skip the conditional step, if you are 2.1.x OR 2.2.x, you have to upgrade your bootloaders to 2.3.x. "

I think this is a 'contradictory' point...

Otherwise, if this was a little proof-read, could be a dang good guide.

F x

Reactions: slotteh

slotteh

Jan 24, 2011
Singapore
Hi sorry for all late replies, have been a little busy, you may already have gotten answers to these but still,

what recovey do i need to install cm7 as it doesn't say or how do i install with odin

You need Clockworkmod Recovery and unless you're coming from a stock rom, you should already have this.

In either case, onstallation of EZbase from odin has been covered pretty well here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1089989

It's really simple to follow, just make sure you have a full battery while flashing via odin.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, flashing Cyanogenmod7/MIUI on the SGS i9000 is an area covered in many, many tutorials to date. However, the vast majority of them are outdated or just downright confusing, this guide tries to make flashing CM7/MIUI as painless as possible.

DISCLAIMER: This guide is based on my personal experience in flashing CM7/MIUI and i take NO RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER in whatever untoward happens to your phone and/or life if you follow this. Also, this guide is meant for the SGS I9000GT PHONE ONLY, other variants please do not follow this guide to the letter and download the appropriate files for flashing.

Edit: This guide can be used to flash MIUI roms as well, seeing as they share the same requirements of needing Froyo bootloaders.

MIUI roms
    available:
    1.MIUI Official [MIUI.us]
    2. Galnet MIUI [Galnet and team]
    3. MIUI+ [Decalc and Mothatt]
    4. fitMIUI [Andro!de]
    5 Nothing Fancy [spasms]
    Note that this is not an exhaustive list.
    Okay, lets go

Now, there are 2 ways to go about flashing CM7/MIUI.

1. ROMmanager method.

-Simple, fast but thats another tutorial altogether

2. The ODIN + CWM flashing method.
    - That's what this tutorials all about!

NOTE: For those who wish to pursue Method 1, rschenck has written a guide on it.

Okay, now for the tutorial.

Firstly, find out what firmware you are running. Gingerbread bootloaders are now able to run MIUI/CM7. These give better battery life and are thus encouraged.

Go to ->SETTINGS ->ABOUT PHONE and look at what Android/Firmware Version you are running. If you are on 2.3.x, please skip the conditional step, if you are 2.1.x OR 2.2.x, you have to upgrade your bootloaders to 2.3.x.

CONDITIONAL STEP: Upgrade to GB bootloaders. (FOR 2.1.X AND 2.2.X FIRMWARE VERSIONS ONLY, 2.3.X FIRMWARES PLEASE SKIP THIS SECTION.)

Go to EZboot page.

1. Go to that website and download the Gingerbread bootloaders.
    2. Download Odin, if you haven't done so already.
    3. If you don't have Kies, you would need Samsung Drivers, which you can easily find around this forum. I believe its a sticky somewhere.
    4. Open Odin and put your phone in download mode before connecting it.
    5. Set up Odin as per picture in the link provided(The gingerbread one)
    6. Flash and wait for reboot!

/END OF CONDITIONAL STEP.

2. Acquiring CM7/MIUI.

CM7 users: CM7 uses the term Nightlies, which are actually so called "experimental" builds that are updated, well, nightly. Despite it being called experimental, most nightlies are actually stable for "everyday usage". So don't be scared to flash 'em!

So,

1. Download the latest(topmost) version of CM7 or the various MIUI roms. (Links above)

2. Transfer the .zip file onto your phone through ADB push or USB cable.

3. Make sure your phone is not connected to your computer or anything. You're almost there!

Third, Flashing time.

1. Boot into recovery mode using the following method.
    (a) Phone off.
    (b) Press in the following order: VOLUP, HOME, POWER.

2. Now you have to clean out your phone.
    -Wipe CACHE
    -Go into advance options, WIPE DALVIK CACHE
    -Go into mounts and storage. FORMAT SYSTEM, DATA AND CACHE. (Three separate moves)

3. Go to 'Install zip from sdcard' and scroll to your CM7/MIUI .zip file.

Flash.

Wait for reboot. And. You are done.

Congratulations, you are now running CM7/MIUI.

For CM7 users: Go get GAPPs(Google Apps) for Android Market and other android apps. Stay updated by flashing updated Nightlies.

[Small expansion of guide] Flashing from MIUI
    If coming from MIUI rom, and wishing to switch to CM7(or vice versa)
    1. Download newest version of CM7(or MIUI, whichever the case) and place in phone.
    2. Boot into recovery. Format Cache and System. Not necessary to format Data(will erase all apps) but is recommended for stability purposes. You can backup your apps using Titanium Backup or use the native backup app in MIUI.
    3. Install from zip and choose the correct file. Flash it.
    Done.

Please comment if this was helpful to you. And THANK if it helped you!:)

Credits:
    codeworkx - http://twitter.com/codeworkx
    coolya - http://twitter.com/dumdidum
    guiper -http://twitter.com/guiperpt
    -All for CM7
    nitr8 - For EZboot
    rschenck - For his guide
    And of course, myself for writing this.
    Is it wrong this passage ?

1. Download the latest(topmost) version at : http://insanity.rollus.net/EZbase/img/sc/ezodin.png
    Yeah i've been a little confused looking for it. I'll edit it.

@slotteh
    one more MIUI rom, you may want to update your OP

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1184066
    Revise?

This section is not clear...

"Go to ->SETTINGS ->ABOUT PHONE and look at what Android/Firmware Version you are running. If you are on 2.2.x, please skip the conditional step, if you are 2.1.x OR 2.2.x, you have to upgrade your bootloaders to 2.3.x. "

I think this is a 'contradictory' point...

Otherwise, if this was a little proof-read, could be a dang good guide.

F x
    Really great and non-confusing guide. You should make guides for more roms too ;-) i have few questions.

1. U didnt touch the kernels, that means cm7 and miui both have kernels included?

2. Which miui is most stable?

3. Does cwm recovery work on cm7 and miui? I am asking because i would need cwm to make the nandroid backup :-D

Thanks alot! But I think most other roms are quite straightforward to install. MIUI and CM7 seemed to be the most confusing roms to install in the past, hence this guide. But it's become relatively easy as well. I'm still doing this up due to the existence of many other outdated installation guides out there. This might give newcomers a much easier guide to refer to since its fully updated.

Thanks for the approval though! Maybe you could suggest some roms where its confusing for people to install and I'll take a look.

In response to your questions,
    1. CM7 and MIUI(the official MIUI.us version) do have kernels included and both run on the stock kernel developed by the CM7 team. The Nothing Fancy MIUI runs on zach's kernel.

As a side note, all roms include kernels since, well, Roms can't run without them. Most roms will indicate which kernels they choose to run on but even if they don't, there will be a kernel inside. So yeah. Don't worry. Kernels are like the buns of the hamburger. The good stuff is in the filling(rom), but the kernel holds it.

2. In terms of stability, all miui rom variants are based off the Miui.us version. So in terms of stability, the official version SHOULD be the most stable version since there are the least changes and tweaks to the system. HOWEVER, other roms may have stability fixes (galnet has a few I think) and it may be more stable.

Personally, I use miui.us' version (can't stand galnet's name being stamped everywhere in his rom) but even that isn't very stable. I do have random reboots and random lags, but battery life is good enough and overall, I don't notice much problems. But I'm not a power user so you might want to check it out yourself.

3. Firstly, yes. CWM is a custom recovery that allows for us to flash stuff and do all sorts of funny things and ALL galaxy s roms run on it. CWM recovery is (i think) the only existing alternative to stock recovery (which can't do anything) so as far as i know, all roms run on it. You're fine doing a nandroid backup in CM7/MIUI in CWM.