Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,810 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Force portrait mode?

Tip us?

Trooper_Max
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Force portrait mode?

Is there a way to force an application into portrait mode or spoof/disable the accelerometer to maintain portrait orientation across applications? Ideally in the long-term it'd be nice if there were an elegant solution for handling portrait vs. landscape devices and screen rotation - or maybe more apps just need to take this into account - but a workaround for apps that don't would be nice.

My primary use case for this issue is when lying sideways, holding the tablet sideways to read on the Kindle application. The tablet thinks it should be in landscape mode, but I want it in portrait mode lying sideways with me so I can read it. The Kindle application can lock itself, but it always does so into landscape mode on tablets. This is inconvenient since it is easier to read on narrower displays (it's trickier for your eyes to wrap around to the beginning of the next line the longer those lines are).

Using the CyanogenMod beta I came up with a workaround - be sure you have the 180 degree/upside down rotation position disabled so that the display won't flip upside down - now when you turn it upside down it will stay in whichever portrait rotation it was previously in. Unfortunately, I was not able to figure out a similar workaround in Beast ROM since the display always rotates, even to the 180 degree/upside down position.

Now I might like to switch back to CyanogenMod in the long term (I use it on my Nexus One and like all the options and developer goodies it gives and it's kinda neat/convenient to be running similar software on both devices), but I think I currently like the Beast ROM better since it feels more solid and less buggy (it's particularly embarrassing trying to explain to friends why the camera orientation is messed up in CM >_>).

Anybody have any other solutions/workarounds for this issue? particularly something that might work with Beast rom?

~Troop

adante111
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I would also really like to know if this is possible, for basically the exact same reasons you would.

In the past I would have thought that this would be a really high priority issue, but my experience has been bookreading does not appear to be a very highly used application of pdas/tablets - I remember when the HTC G1 first came out, there was a surprising lag before usable bookreader apps were released...

adante111
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just incase anybody is interested, I brought up this question on stackexchange as well:

http://android.stackexchange.com/que...roid-specified

blazingwolf
Old
Thanks Meter 401

DONATE TO ME
There are apps that should lock you in to portrait or landscape. Just install one on your device and you should be good to go. Here is an example:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (Rooted NC5), Nook HD (CM11)

In fire and EMS? Check out my apps on Google Play Pumper Calc and Code Log.

adante111
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
There are apps that should lock you in to portrait or landscape. Just install one on your device and you should be good to go. Here is an example:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
thanks, but unfortunately the problem is more complicated than that. Once you turn off auto-rotate, your device goes back to its default orientation mode.

For a tablet, that is landscape