Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,457 Members 51,790 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Own Asus TF Getting Iconia A500

Tip us?

eviltuna
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Own Asus TF Getting Iconia A500

I've had the Asus Transformer since it was released and got the keyboard as well once it was available. I never really liked the way the Transformer looked with the bezel, and really found the extra keyboard kind of pointless. Anyways, yesterday I went to my local Staples and checked out the Iconia A500 and here are my thoughts, the build quality on the Acer is actually better than the Asus, I didn't care which one weighted more but screen quality was very important to me, luckily, the store had a Transformer on display as well and after some comparing I found the screens to really be on par and viewing angles/colours are just as good to the naked eye on the Acer as it is on the Asus. Overall though I thought the Acer Iconia A500 is a better choice than the Transformer if like me, you don't care for the keyboard. Aesthetically I like the way the Acer looks better and also feel that the build quality is a bit better with the Acer. So I ordered one from Staples and will be selling my Asus Transformer + Dock.

I'm just worried at the frequency of updates from Acer as I've owned other Acer products before and they are not the best when it comes to Support, as well it seems that development for the Transformer is moving a long faster than for the Iconia.

jtheking
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Acer is a directly partnered with Google while Asus is not, but Asus seems to be more community friendly.
Sidekick Color->HP iPaq->HTC PPC-6700->BB 8830->HTC Hero->Epic 4g->Galaxy Nexus-> Moto X

Tablet - Acer A500 (ICS 4.0.3)

iSheep - iPod Touch, iPhone 4S, iPad 4 gen

janduin
Old
(Last edited by janduin; 2nd June 2011 at 05:36 PM.) Reason: added link
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtheking View Post
Acer is a directly partnered with Google while Asus is not, but Asus seems to be more community friendly.
fairly certain your 100% wrong. at least on the "partnered with google" part.

http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/oha_members.html

gh123man
Old
Thanks Meter 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by janduin View Post
fairly certain your 100% wrong. at least on the "partnered with google" part.

http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/oha_members.html
under "handset manufactures" acer is on the top of the list.
(provided im reading and understanding this correctly)

Needa916
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltuna View Post
...I found the screens to really be on par and viewing angles/colours are just as good to the naked eye on the Acer as it is on the Asus. ...
I can't find a Transformer to compare the screens anywhere. I noticed the Acer's screen is kinda washed out or muddy looking. How did you see the blacks and contrast between the two?

foxmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh123man View Post
I think you miss the point - both Acer and Asus are on that list, hence both are partner with Google (at least for handsets as it says nothing about Tablets).

Regards,

Dave

janduin
Old
(Last edited by janduin; 2nd June 2011 at 08:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh123man View Post
acer is at the top of the list, because the list is in alphabetical order. not because they have any preferential treatment or are more "in with google" than any other member of the OHA

true, that technically is for "cell phones" but thats all android was originally for.

i havent been able to see anything anywhere about tablet manufacturers specifically =\

eviltuna
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmeister View Post
I think you miss the point - both Acer and Asus are on that list, hence both are partner with Google (at least for handsets as it says nothing about Tablets).

Regards,

Dave
Sony and Samsung are also partners, and we know how fast they roll out their updates right?

eviltuna
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needa916 View Post
I can't find a Transformer to compare the screens anywhere. I noticed the Acer's screen is kinda washed out or muddy looking. How did you see the blacks and contrast between the two?
I didn't really look at the blacks I was more comparing viewing angles and colour reproduction and like I said, I can't see much of a difference between the two tablets. To be honest I didn't really care much for how real the blacks are as this was mainly a gaming/surfing tablet and wont be used to watch a lot of movies, I much rather enjoy watching movies on my 60" TV. Build quality wise the transformer just felt so cheap after holding the Iconia, I also really don't like the power button on my Transformer cause sometimes it takes me a couple presses for it to be recognized, while the power button on the Iconia feels a lot more precise and feels like it will last. Basicly just small annoyances with the Asus, and since the hardware is almost identical as well as software, I really think it comes down to if you need the dock or not, if you don't then by all means go for the Acer, I also got the Acer for a very nice price as well $429.99 for the 32GB version so that was a major plus.

helix19
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your comparison. How did you get the 32GB version at that price? That is a great price.