[FIX] AT&T SGS2 Data Speed Issue's (Correct APN Settings)

Search This thread

locust43

Jul 24, 2008
Hey all, hope this is the correct forum to post.

This is a Fix it guide I wrote for AT&T user's. These are the correct settings for your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II

I hope this helps everyone who has been possibly experiencing slower speed's on AT&T Mobility.

1'st, make sure you are on the CORRECT data plan.

1. HSPA+ 4G 2GB plan OR for Unlimited Customer's

2. Smartphone Personal Data plan with 4G SOC code : HSDPPB

Then under your APN settings, I have found personally that WAP.CINGULAR is not the right APN. When your tethering you can tell what the correct gateway you should be connected to by visiting speedtest.net tethered to a PC and seeing when you run the test by your IP, it should show SERVICE PROVIDER and NOT AT&T GLOBAL NETWORK SERVICES.

Wap.Cingular connects you to the older gateway made for 7.2 phone's. I found in real world AT&T testing it caps/throttles you at around 7.5Mbit/s or slower.

FIX:

Under you Access Point Settings click on each APN you already have then in the menu, delete them.

Next create a new APN:

Menu Key, New APN.

Name : AT&T HSPA+

Important step: tap APN and enter exactly : phone

That's it! It's literally just "phone", not kidding. Leave everything else blank including Username and Password!

Scroll down to APN Type, Select Internet only

Hit the Menu Key, and hit SAVE
Your will return to APN settings, go to the APN you just created called AT&T HSPA+, tap the dot next to the APN and make sure it turns green!

Now for the MMS settings

Step 2 : MMS Settings

At the APN settings hit the menu key again and create a new APN, call it MMS

Under APN again just type : phone

go down to MMSC and fill the fields as follows

MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410

APN type: MMS only

Now again hit the menu key and save. This will be your default MMS setting and you will not need to select it.

Once your back at the APN menu with the fields you just created, make sure AT&T HSPA+ still has a green got by it.

Now hit the home key, then turn your phone off and back on.

You should have full internet access if you have the correct data plan. While you may not experience faster data speed's in every area. This APN will allow you to have more consistent and through speed's, especially in an AT&T "4G" HSPA+ enhanced backhaul area.

Here show's the difference in the two APN's. The first SpeedTest is the Wap.cingular, the second is the one we just created.

Old APN:

1326034736.png

New APN: Better ping and better speed, Notice Service Provider vs. AT&T Gobal

1326030327.png

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask me in the forum or PM me.

I really hope this help all of you Galaxy S 2 users on AT&T!!

UPDATE 07/17/2011 - Possible slow data speed explanation theory..

Ok. So I think I may have found a reason why the SGSII is slower than phone's like the Infuse and has so many radio problems.

You guys remember with the Apple iFail 3G through the iPhone 4 on AT&T and other GSM providers, with the severe signal issues and dropped calls??

It was later tied to the Infineon modem in the handset powering the devices..
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10015301-37.html

Well unfortunately, stupid Samsung put an Infineon baseband modem chipset in the Samsung Galaxy S II's.

To me I have the SAME issue's I was having with the iPhone 4.... Coincidence or not?? You decide. But the SGSII has the chip, it is HSPA+ capable but of course since Infineon makes it, it likely cant hit H+ speeds.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/silicon-art-samsung/

The chip, the Infineon PMB5703, provides radio-frequency transmission and reception functions relating to the devices’ baseband and 3G features.

Last edited:

3waygeek

Dec 31, 2004
Duluth, GA
Just tried it; my download speed has roughly 50% (4 Mbps to 6), but upload hasn't changed much. I'm in Duluth, GA, just outside downtown, and I don't think we've gotten HSPA+ yet. The Speedtest app results say it's a UMTS connection. However, the H+ icon on the phone stays on.

I've gotten HSPA connections at my office a few miles down the road in Norcross; I'll try it from there on Monday. The HSPA in Norcross isn't too fast -- I've never gotten more than 2.1 Mbps out of it.

FWIW, I'm on the old $30/month smartphone personal plan.

zevrosenthal

Mar 24, 2005
WoW! Thanks - I just got a SGSII and spent 1+ hours on the phone with AT&T yesterday trying to get this info and I got nowhere with them - had me put in the same old wap.cingular. This is great

ph00ny

Aug 10, 2008
New York
Ironically, those applications would almost require unlimited plan, not the 2GB (or 4GB tethering) plan.
Now you need to ask yourself, "Do I want to pay $25-$30 more per month for less allowance and slight bump in speed?"

pretty much

even with some of the enterprise plans available in premier site, it still can't match it

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
No difference in speeds at all for me here in the SF Bay Area which is an HSPA+ covered zone.
I am getting slower speeds on the SDS2 than the Infuse.

sportedwood

Jul 22, 2010
I posted this a week ago when I took the settings from my infuse, had a few people say it didn't work for them but its been working great on my phone. Figures.

Reactions: fieryavenger

zevrosenthal

Mar 24, 2005
Long Island today:

5824/1555
3734/2218
5016/2144

the signal isn't consistent. i'll get a very fast connection for awhile then it will drop back to mid 2's for download and 1.1-1.2 for upload.

Changing the settings made a big difference. I also have an atrix and swapping my SIM into the atrix (which has the same apn settings for default) yields similar results.

mchimney

Aug 15, 2010
Just tried this out, i can't seem to receive an MMS photo, it just says downloading.

*EDIT1* i seem to have no data at all now, gonna check to make sure i added everything correctly

bendispo

Jun 9, 2010
Many of us are on the $15 or $10 unlimited data non-smartphone plan. I'm assuming there's no way to use these HSPA+ settings without switching to an official "4G" smartphone data plan?

mchimney

Aug 15, 2010
I rechecked the settings 3 times now and i can't seem to get a data connection. I'm on the AT&T website right now trying to see if i have the right data plan but this site is so confusing it's hard to tell.

haha,
Just got off the phone with AT&T, after putting me on hold for 20 minutes they finally told me there's nothing they can do to help me get data back because i'm not on an AT&T phone. Trying to find my old atrix to copy the apn, hopefully that fixes it.

*EDIT2* Changed the APN type to wap.cingular and i'm finally showing the H+ and 3G notifications up top. Data speed is crazy slow however. I guess it doesn't like 'phone' as the apn type

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all, hope this is the correct forum to post.

This is a Fix it guide I wrote for AT&T user's. These are the correct settings for your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II

I hope this helps everyone who has been possibly experiencing slower speed's on AT&T Mobility.

1'st, make sure you are on the CORRECT data plan.

1. HSPA+ 4G 2GB plan OR for Unlimited Customer's

2. Smartphone Personal Data plan with 4G SOC code : HSDPPB

Then under your APN settings, I have found personally that WAP.CINGULAR is not the right APN. When your tethering you can tell what the correct gateway you should be connected to by visiting speedtest.net tethered to a PC and seeing when you run the test by your IP, it should show SERVICE PROVIDER and NOT AT&T GLOBAL NETWORK SERVICES.

Wap.Cingular connects you to the older gateway made for 7.2 phone's. I found in real world AT&T testing it caps/throttles you at around 7.5Mbit/s or slower.

FIX:

Under you Access Point Settings click on each APN you already have then in the menu, delete them.

Next create a new APN:

Menu Key, New APN.

Name : AT&T HSPA+

Important step: tap APN and enter exactly : phone

That's it! It's literally just "phone", not kidding. Leave everything else blank including Username and Password!

Scroll down to APN Type, Select Internet only

Hit the Menu Key, and hit SAVE
    Your will return to APN settings, go to the APN you just created called AT&T HSPA+, tap the dot next to the APN and make sure it turns green!

Now for the MMS settings

Step 2 : MMS Settings

At the APN settings hit the menu key again and create a new APN, call it MMS

Under APN again just type : phone

go down to MMSC and fill the fields as follows

APN type: MMS only

Now again hit the menu key and save. This will be your default MMS setting and you will not need to select it.

Once your back at the APN menu with the fields you just created, make sure AT&T HSPA+ still has a green got by it.

Now hit the home key, then turn your phone off and back on.

You should have full internet access if you have the correct data plan. While you may not experience faster data speed's in every area. This APN will allow you to have more consistent and through speed's, especially in an AT&T "4G" HSPA+ enhanced backhaul area.

Here show's the difference in the two APN's. The first SpeedTest is the Wap.cingular, the second is the one we just created.

Old APN:

1326034736.png

New APN: Better ping and better speed, Notice Service Provider vs. AT&T Gobal

1326030327.png

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask me in the forum or PM me.

I really hope this help all of you Galaxy S 2 users on AT&T!!

UPDATE 07/17/2011 - Possible slow data speed explanation theory..

Ok. So I think I may have found a reason why the SGSII is slower than phone's like the Infuse and has so many radio problems.

You guys remember with the Apple iFail 3G through the iPhone 4 on AT&T and other GSM providers, with the severe signal issues and dropped calls??

It was later tied to the Infineon modem in the handset powering the devices..
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10015301-37.html

Well unfortunately, stupid Samsung put an Infineon baseband modem chipset in the Samsung Galaxy S II's.

To me I have the SAME issue's I was having with the iPhone 4.... Coincidence or not?? You decide. But the SGSII has the chip, it is HSPA+ capable but of course since Infineon makes it, it likely cant hit H+ speeds.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/silicon-art-samsung/

The chip, the Infineon PMB5703, provides radio-frequency transmission and reception functions relating to the devices’ baseband and 3G features.
    So, I was playing around with this over the past couple of days, and on the ICS AOKP build, I was able to hit 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up last night. MMS also works as intended. I have not tested tethering with my settings, so YMMV. I'd expect these settings to work fine on any other ICS ROM as well.

Default connection
    Name: AT&T US HSDPA (this could be named anything you like)
    APN: phone
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: Not set
    MMS Proxy: Not set
    MMS Port: Not set
    Authentication Type: Not set
    APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun,hipri,internet
    APN Protocol: IPv4
    Bearer: Unspecified

Name: AT&T US (this could be named anything you like)
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    MMSC: Not set
    MMS Proxy: Not set
    MMS Port: Not set
    APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun

Name: AT&T US MMS (this could be named anything you like)
    APN type: mms
    Well I just fixed my own issue! I got MMS to work using the following settings. Let me know if anyone else has any luck.

I left the Internet settings exactly as explained in the OP's original post. I made the MMS settings as follows:

Name: AT&T
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: not set
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN Type: MMS
    Finally got to an agent who was able to change the plan for me.

There is no additional charge for changing over to a the unlimited 4g plan.

Now where in the account do i look to confirm the change. Where is this HSDPPB ?
    ( i have not noticed any change in speed using speednet testing )

Log into your MyAT&T account and go to Wireless > My Wireless Service > Usage & Recent Activity
    You will see it under "ADDITIONAL DATA PURCHASED USAGE"
    It should say "Data
    GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - HSDPPB"
    GEEZUS, finally after hours and hours of searching and scouring the internet for correct settings, trying probably over 70+ combinations. This got me 6.3 megs internet down and around 2.3 up, and allowed MMS

my Data plan - GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - CMB1, as many of you know CM7 has different settings than samsung firmware. So here is what worked for me in the US, in texas.
    The "phone" aspect of the APN works, however the "apn type" is "default"

Name: att hspa
    APN: phone
    Authentication type:
    APN type: default
    APn protocol: IPv4

Name: ATT MMS