[Q] facebook contact integration

Search This thread

kymochi

Nov 9, 2007
Hi all,

Maybe I haven't enabled some setting (still new to the android game, even newer to the Timescape UI) but is there some way to search and link your phone contacts to facebook friends?

I've seen this integration being done using a built-in HTC feature.. wondering if there's something similar in Timescape that i've just missed.

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
Hi all,

Maybe I haven't enabled some setting (still new to the android game, even newer to the Timescape UI) but is there some way to search and link your phone contacts to facebook friends?

I've seen this integration being done using a built-in HTC feature.. wondering if there's something similar in Timescape that i've just missed.

search the market for life.contacts by sony ericsson, it's a gr8 app and lets you sync contact with facebook, it also emails you if you miss a call or text :D

kymochi

Nov 9, 2007
hey thanks for that guys.
@ thomassafca: yep i've done that, but what i mean is an app that runs through ur contacts, compares them to your facebook contacts and suggests whether u should merge the two.. not sure if that's what's happening atm tbh LOL but so far it doesn't look like a lot of contacts have fb details.

@androhero: thanks will give that a go, sounds promising.

kymochi

Nov 9, 2007
haha tried life.contacts but if your contacts don't have the same name (e.g. first and last; most of my contacts in my phone are nicknames / first names only) it doesn't play too nice. would be great if you hv a clean contact list though, thanks for the heads up.

also (i'm an idiot) if you long-press a contact name in contacts it pulls up the context menu where you can select 'join contacts'. not quite what i was looking for (an automated suggestion app) but it'll do for now.

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
haha tried life.contacts but if your contacts don't have the same name (e.g. first and last; most of my contacts in my phone are nicknames / first names only) it doesn't play too nice. would be great if you hv a clean contact list though, thanks for the heads up.

also (i'm an idiot) if you long-press a contact name in contacts it pulls up the context menu where you can select 'join contacts'. not quite what i was looking for (an automated suggestion app) but it'll do for now.

life.contacts works great, as long as the first name of the person in you contacts is exactly the same as there first name on facebook :)

Jun 22, 2010
Toronto
hey! if you're still looking for a way to merge phone contacts with facebook IE their picture or status, what i did with mine was go into contacts, click on a contact and select edit. once you're in the editing screen for the contact press the menu button and at the bottom of the screen it will say join with two funny looking arrows..and then if your contact name is similar to any of your facebook contacts, it has that persons profile and you just select it!

if you know the person's on facebook and it doesn't show their name, sometimes you can edit the phone contact so it has the same name as their facebook page and join the two, then rename the contact in your phone so not every person has a first and last name lol.

hope this helps!

ryocoon

Jun 10, 2008
San Jose
life.contacts works great, as long as the first name of the person in you contacts is exactly the same as there first name on facebook :)

I second this as Life.Contacts widget/account-sync does work. However, I would just as soon have native Facebook sychronization. It works on my Thunderbolt, it works on my Moto Droid A855 (OG Droid), it works in my dev environment Android Emulator. _WHY_ Doesn't it work on the Xperia Play? Even on the "stock" Android 2.3.2 on the Verizon version (R800x). The facebook app works fine, except it has no settings under the "other settings" option inside the app, and if you try and add an account listing under your system Accounts menu, it just goes right back to the account list. :mad:

(Also, no it is not moved to SD, installed to a SD-Ext partition or anything else, just normal internal storage install directly from the Android Market)

Anybody have any ideas as to why? :confused:

ncaissie

May 15, 2011
Why would anyone want to put there phone numbers and personal contact data on facebook? That is just stupid. Why not just post your credit card information while your at it?

yoyohere2

Nov 20, 2010
Why would anyone want to put there phone numbers and personal contact data on facebook? That is just stupid. Why not just post your credit card information while your at it?

No, we are not putting phone numbers and personal contact data on facebook. It is putting facebook data on your phone.

For example. I have a friend John Doe in facebook. He is also in my phone. When he calls me, his facebook photo automatically shows up. Same for all other friends.
It's nice to see new facebook profile pictures when people call me.

ncaissie

May 15, 2011
I c. But there are to many people in my Facebook that I wouldn't want on my phone. A lot of them I don't even know. They just add me because we know someone in common. LOL

I had a similar problem with gmail on my iPhone all of a sudden I had everyone I ever emailed on my phone. Even people I only emailed once to buy something on kijiji.

M

matknny

Because your only meant to add your friends. People go crazy and add anyone they can its up to them.

NeoandGeo

Jan 25, 2011
I c. But there are to many people in my Facebook that I wouldn't want on my phone. A lot of them I don't even know. They just add me because we know someone in common. LOL

I had a similar problem with gmail on my iPhone all of a sudden I had everyone I ever emailed on my phone. Even people I only emailed once to buy something on kijiji.

That is why you just integrate the facebook info with only people from your contact list.