Not sure if anyone got so far, to getting the honeycomb showing connection and selectable APN in settings?
from my port of honeycomb to folio100, and now experiments with a500.. i got huawei dongle's running using the builtin functions.
you will need to have root'd your device. and this might break a system-update, if any of my files are updated during next OTA..
but back to the working 3G.
Working 3G USB dongles:
Do note, your modem version can be seen on its white label written with very small text.
some modems require zerocd (linuxtool) or commands executed in windows to disable the mass storage part of it. (search google for the commands)
- * ZTE MF 639 (might need roaming enabled to get data working)
- * Vodafone K3765-H
- * Vodafone K3715
- * Vodafone K3565 / Huawei E160
- * Huawei E169
- * Huawai E170
- * Huawai E171
- * Huawei E173
- * Huawei E1550
- * Huawei E1692
- * Huawei E1750
- * Huawei E1752
- * Huawei E1820
- * HUAWEI K3520
- * HUAWEI K3565 -Rev 2
Download 3g-usb-stock1.zip for 3.0.1 stock release Acer_A500_1.141.01_EMEA_GEN3: (vermagic=22.214.171.124 SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7)
Download 3g-acer31stock-usb.zip for 3.1 stock release Acer_A500_3.019.01_COM_GEN1 (vermagic=126.96.36.199-00005-g5dff38c SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7)
- first: Backup your /system/build.prop on the tablet , just copy the file to a safe place, as its important if you wish to do a online update later on.
- updated zip, so you can now install the zip as an "update" using ClockWorkMod/CWM if you got this installed.
- download the "system.zip" attached to this post.
- unpack all files to a temporary folder ie. C:\myfiles
- assuming you got adb running
* push files to your tablet with;
- adb shell mkdir /data/local/temp
- adb push C:\myfiles\system /data/local/temp/
- adb shell
- su -
- mount -orw,remount /system (i forgot this line, ITS IMPORTANT)
- cp -a /data/local/temp/* /system/
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/pppd
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/rild
- chmod 755 /system/bin/rild.run
- chmod -R 755 /system/etc/ppp
If you done these steps correctly, and you reboot.
you will now have a working 3G option in Settings -> wireless networks
so you can configure your APN now and connect to your 3G network.
and you got it all automated with honeycomb 3g! no terminal needed to start 3G!
- Other reports are to remember to "Disable PIN" on the card.. I have no personal experience on this part, but check up on it, if its not working perfectly, or no data, but network is ok.
- I got reports back about enabling roaming to make it work, and also remember the story from Folio100 with 3G dongles..
so if you cannot get data connection at all, try to enable roaming and see if APN does not appear which matches your isp. maybe read you ISP website to confirm it.
- If you happen to remove the dongle, there is a solution (using as example gscript) to restart the ril daemon.
in a shell you can restart the ril-daemon if you reinsert the 3g usb dongle.
do it like this in the shell:
HOWTO FOR RESET'ing ,massstorage on Huawei modems.
Insert modem into pc and wait for driver to install
check in device manager which com port is assignated to your modem
close every program related to modem
click serial below port number and then change port number to one previously founded
write atz and press enter, modem should answer ok
write ati and press enter, modem should give name, type, etc
write AT^U2DIAG=0 and press enter, zero cd is now disabled
You need also put sim card from modem to any phone and disable pin checking.
Remember to press "thanks" if you find it useful