Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more
Post Reply

[REVIEW / DOA SO FAR] Official Malata USB/LAN Adapter

OP it2steve

15th June 2011, 03:26 PM   |  #21  
pgonza02's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 19
 
229 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
When I saw this, I decided to try an adapter I had lying around to see if it worked. It's a Netgear FA120.

Works same as using the dock, except no power needed.
Here is what I did.
1. Tablet off.
2. Plug in adapter to tablet and ethernet.
3. Power on tablet.
4. Run terminal emulator.
5. Type:
su <- switches to power user
netcfg eth0 dhcp <- enables ethernet adapter using dhcp
setprop net.dns1 192.168.1.1 <- sets the DNS server to my router's address, you need to substitute by your own router's address.

I have found a couple of issues with ethernet connectivity, one of them being that when you try to download something from the market, the download seems to start and just hangs at 0%. Not sure why this is, but I'm afraid that the download process might be trying to use the WiFi adapter...just my guess.

Hope this helps.
28th June 2011, 09:20 PM   |  #22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Thumbs up got mine working
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgonza02

When I saw this, I decided to try an adapter I had lying around to see if it worked. It's a Netgear FA120.

Works same as using the dock, except no power needed.
Here is what I did.
1. Tablet off.
2. Plug in adapter to tablet and ethernet.
3. Power on tablet.
4. Run terminal emulator.
5. Type:
su <- switches to power user
netcfg eth0 dhcp <- enables ethernet adapter using dhcp
setprop net.dns1 192.168.1.1 <- sets the DNS server to my router's address, you need to substitute by your own router's address.

I have found a couple of issues with ethernet connectivity, one of them being that when you try to download something from the market, the download seems to start and just hangs at 0%. Not sure why this is, but I'm afraid that the download process might be trying to use the WiFi adapter...just my guess.

Hope this helps.

Thanks pgonza02
I followed your instructions and bam working well for me.
I bought mine at amazon, since i can't post the link, search for USB 2.0 to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter for $6.99 and the seller is Deals International. Shipping was fast too
28th June 2011, 10:43 PM   |  #23  
pgonza02's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 19
 
229 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrymrcl

Thanks pgonza02
I followed your instructions and bam working well for me.
I bought mine at amazon, since i can't post the link, search for USB 2.0 to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter for $6.99 and the seller is Deals International. Shipping was fast too

Awesome, glad I was able to help.
29th June 2011, 12:06 AM   |  #24  
aasoror's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kitchener, ON
Thanks Meter: 54
 
508 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrymrcl

Thanks pgonza02
I followed your instructions and bam working well for me.
I bought mine at amazon, since i can't post the link, search for USB 2.0 to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter for $6.99 and the seller is Deals International. Shipping was fast too

Here you are:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-RJ-45-...9302266&sr=1-7

That said, how about this for $4 ?
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-N...9302266&sr=1-1
5th July 2011, 03:38 PM   |  #25  
Senior Member
Flag Praha
Thanks Meter: 10
 
100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrymrcl

Thanks pgonza02
I followed your instructions and bam working well for me.
I bought mine at amazon, since i can't post the link, search for USB 2.0 to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter for $6.99 and the seller is Deals International. Shipping was fast too

Could you please check what chipset is this adapter using? Maybe also other cheap adapters will work, if they have the same chipset...
I saw lot of others has DM9601 or DM9610 chipset.

I would like to buy this one, but Deals International asks 38$ for shipping...bit too much for this little thing.
6th July 2011, 02:17 PM   |  #26  
Senior Member
Flag Markham
Thanks Meter: 58
 
440 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror

Here you are:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-RJ-45-...9302266&sr=1-7

That said, how about this for $4 ?
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-N...9302266&sr=1-1

think this is the same thing as the other one you showed?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-10-...er-dongle-2797
7th July 2011, 02:48 AM   |  #27  
aasoror's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kitchener, ON
Thanks Meter: 54
 
508 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-devil

think this is the same thing as the other one you showed?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-10-...er-dongle-2797

According to the reviews it has the "Supereal SR9600" chipset
31st July 2011, 08:11 PM   |  #28  
Senior Member
Flag Praha
Thanks Meter: 10
 
100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror

According to the reviews it has the "Supereal SR9600" chipset

Thanks for info.

So I just got this device for 3.3$:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320697720334

According to the driver CD it is also using SR9600, but my rom doesn't not recognize it.
Could you please check which module is loaded in kernel for your adapter?
In case you don't know how to do that, please issue "lsmod" in Terminal or ConnectBot.
5th August 2011, 09:48 AM   |  #29  
aasoror's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kitchener, ON
Thanks Meter: 54
 
508 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
More
I am sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, the one reported to work has the "dm9601 " chipset (according to an amazon review).

My reply about the SR9600 was regarding the dealextreme link someone posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny.mnemonic

Thanks for info.

So I just got this device for 3.3$:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320697720334

According to the driver CD it is also using SR9600, but my rom doesn't not recognize it.
Could you please check which module is loaded in kernel for your adapter?
In case you don't know how to do that, please issue "lsmod" in Terminal or ConnectBot.

The Following User Says Thank You to aasoror For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th August 2011, 09:21 PM   |  #30  
Senior Member
Flag Praha
Thanks Meter: 10
 
100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror

I am sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, the one reported to work has the "dm9601 " chipset (according to an amazon review).

My reply about the SR9600 was regarding the dealextreme link someone posted earlier.

No probs. It looks like these two chips are either completely identical or at least can use the same driver.

But what I need is to get info what kernel module is loaded for this adapter on android ROM where it works.

So, dnrymrcl, could you please check what module is your kernel using for your module?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes