5,599,677 Members 45,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GAME] Dot Boy - very hard platformer!

Tip us?

rpimps
Old
(Last edited by rpimps; 18th June 2011 at 03:54 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Exclamation [GAME] Dot Boy - very hard platformer!

Hey guys, I just finished up this game, I'd appreciate it if you guys could check it out and let me know what you think! https://market.android.com/details?id=org.dotboy

The controls do take a little time to get used to so if you die on your first try don't be discouraged.
apk link - http://www.mediafire.com/?6co77xwbnlazo6e

Samsung Galaxy S2 rooted 2.3.6
HTC Inspire stock 2.3

rpimps
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Added apk download link to OP. I didn't realize coupon codes wouldn't work for apps.
HTC Inspire stock 2.3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpimps For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tricky-Design
Old
(Last edited by Tricky-Design; 18th June 2011 at 09:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Thanks for sharing. It's fun that you wrote this game on age 10 and did port it to Android.

Some questions:
I've only played it till world 2, but are there only six levels in the version on the market?
A question about the permissions: Why does it need full internet access?

Some recommendations:
- explanation about the controls, at first I didn't noticed them on the screen.
- explanation about how to play the game in the game. I've downloaded the apk so I've missed the explanation on the market.
- decrease the speed so the controls become less "sensitive". When you're standing on the edge and want to turn around on a fairly small block, the chance is big you'll fall off. I don't think capacitive controls are accurate enough for such a sensitivity.
- ability to save. Because people play games on there phone to kill time. But mostly this if only for a few minutes and then you don't want to start at world 1 every time.

Release Android Apps:
- Money Is Time
- Money Is Time (No Ads)
- Bridle

Current Devices:
HTC One X, Sony Experia P, HTC Desire Z, HTC Wildfire S, Creative ZiiO 7", Samsung Galaxy Europe

rpimps
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Design View Post
Thanks for sharing. It's fun that you wrote this game on age 10 and did port it to Android.

Some questions:
I've only played it till world 2, but are there only six levels in the version on the market?

Some recommendations:
- explanation about how to play the game in the game. I've downloaded the apk so I've missed the explanation on the market.
- decrease the speed so the controls become less "sensitive". When you're standing on the edge and want to turn around on a fairly small block, the chance is big you'll fall off. I don't think capacitive controls are accurate enough for such a sensitivity.
- ability to save. Because people play games on there phone to kill time. But mostly this if only for a few minutes and then you don't want to start at world 1 every time.
Thanks for the feedback. The apk I posted and the Market version are the same - there are 6 worlds, and each world has 4 levels, so there are a total of 24 levels. It has the internet permission because I had originally planned to put Admob ads in it.

I like your idea about letting people save. There is actually a "resume" button if you quit in the middle of a game (not including when you get a game over). I think it would be good to let people choose which world to start at though, so they can start at any world that they've already reached.

I also agree about the controls, this is where I had the most trouble because in the PC version it's a lot easier to control with a keyboard. I'll try to fix them so they work better.

I'll add a "how to play" screen. Do you think it's necessary even in the Market version, do a lot of people download an app without reading the description?
HTC Inspire stock 2.3

Tricky-Design
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpimps View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The apk I posted and the Market version are the same - there are 6 worlds, and each world has 4 levels, so there are a total of 24 levels. It has the internet permission because I had originally planned to put Admob ads in it.

I like your idea about letting people save. There is actually a "resume" button if you quit in the middle of a game (not including when you get a game over). I think it would be good to let people choose which world to start at though, so they can start at any world that they've already reached.

I also agree about the controls, this is where I had the most trouble because in the PC version it's a lot easier to control with a keyboard. I'll try to fix them so they work better.

I'll add a "how to play" screen. Do you think it's necessary even in the Market version, do a lot of people download an app without reading the description?
Okay, I thought there were only 6 levels. Maybe it is also good to mention on the market that it includes a total of 24 levels so people know what they're buying.

It is indeed a good idea to let people select the world that they want to play. Most games you have to unlock the world first by completing all previous levels at least once.

If you going to make a how to play screen anyway, I should also update your game on the market. I think most people will read the description when they're buying an app or game on the market. Only with free apps and games people click on install fairly quick without reading I think.

If you've updated the game please let me know. I shall take another look and let you know what I think about the improvements.

Release Android Apps:
- Money Is Time
- Money Is Time (No Ads)
- Bridle

Current Devices:
HTC One X, Sony Experia P, HTC Desire Z, HTC Wildfire S, Creative ZiiO 7", Samsung Galaxy Europe

napalm393
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Design View Post

Some questions:

Some recommendations:
i agree with everything above, especially the sensitivity of the controls.
other than that, nice start.

wolfnut88
Old
(Last edited by wolfnut88; 5th July 2011 at 07:48 AM.) Reason: Update
Thanks Meter 8
Definitely going to try this later

Edit: downloaded and loved the game, takes me back to the contra and castlevania era where controls had to be perfect or you die. With that though I do agree with the first post talking about the sensitivity of the controls, I love being able to use my wiimote to play games like this. Also like the first post I had no idea the controls were on screen, an in game tutorial would be nice. Great game though and I can't wait to beat it so you can start working on part two now

orlandojumpoff
Old
Thanks Meter 6
very retro

Methos013
Old
(Last edited by Methos013; 31st August 2011 at 11:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
The market link isn't working and the alternate downloading site keeps saying "Error downloading file. Retrying..." :/ The game looked interesting, too.

31/8: Nvm. I guess Mediafire was messing up last night. Everything I tried to download from there was having the Error message.