Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Putting in the SIM card on the fly

Tip us?

eva_d
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Putting in the SIM card on the fly

Just got my Kaiser, lovely boxing, lovely phone but I've had a little unpleasant surprise - I've entered SIM card while phone was already on. In result Kaiser have just crashed - I mean switched off itself. :( Anyone else noticed similar trouble? Does it mean there is still need to switch the phone off before changing SIMs? :(

Anyway, going to explore Kaiser. :)
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz

y2whisper
Old
Thanks Meter 217
its not a crash, its just what it does from what I have read, so i guess its just not "hot swapable"
Google Nexus 5 by LG 32GB
Slimkat 6.6
Faux Kernel

Google Nexus 7 by Asus 32GB
Stock L Preview - Rooted
Stock Kernel

eva_d
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2whisper View Post
its not a crash, its just what it does from what I have read, so i guess its just not "hot swapable"
It seems like - switching off occurs in the exact moment of unlocking SIM card cover... Well, shame - SIM hotswapping would be really cool :(
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz

Redah
Old
Thanks Meter 0
SIM card hot swapping is really bad. I work at a Operator and you don't want to know what kind of network trouble this can bring.

I've also had the Kaiser for a couple weeks now, and yes, it is supposed to shut down when you open the SIM cover. It's just for your own protection, you can even break your SIM if you remove it while the device is on (and, has a electric current flowing to the SIM).

hanmin
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 9
thats what many design work are done to prevent users from doing things dangerously. If you've noticed, that all phones SIM cards are hidden under the battery and/or blocked by the battery in one way or the other. That's to force user to shut down the phone before doing anything with it. I'm sure that's for the protection of the SIM and/or not making a mess on the telco system, which may heavily affect the phones popularity

SecureGSM
Old
(Last edited by SecureGSM; 5th September 2007 at 04:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Not true. Another HTC handset with easy access to SIM card slot locatyed under slide out keyboard:

HTC VOX

also:

HTC TOUCH - side access to SIM card

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmin View Post
thats what many design work are done to prevent users from doing things dangerously. If you've noticed, that all phones SIM cards are hidden under the battery and/or blocked by the battery in one way or the other. That's to force user to shut down the phone before doing anything with it. I'm sure that's for the protection of the SIM and/or not making a mess on the telco system, which may heavily affect the phones popularity
Himalaya / Typhoon / Wizard/ Tornado / wizard/ Universal / Star Trek / Hermes / Breeze / Oxygen / Excalibur / Trinity / Artemis / HP hw6965 / Herald / Cavalier/ Treo 750 / Vox / Elf / Niki / Polaris / Pharos/ Juno / Wings / Kaiser / Sedna / Diamond / Rafael (soon)
------------------
Securing the future of communication
http://www.securegsm.com

zachto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_d View Post
Just got my Kaiser, lovely boxing, lovely phone but I've had a little unpleasant surprise - I've entered SIM card while phone was already on. In result Kaiser have just crashed - I mean switched off itself. Anyone else noticed similar trouble? Does it mean there is still need to switch the phone off before changing SIMs?

Anyway, going to explore Kaiser.
It's actually in the manual. Page 24 section 1.2
Always turn off your device before installing/replacing the USIM/SIM card and battery.

Cheers.
Just because something's fixed doesn't mean you can't break it....

Alan Rickman as Phil Allen
Blow Dry..... 2001
Director Paddy Breathnach

HTC Kaiser WM 6
First PPC
Kais130
ROM Version: 1.56.405.5
ROM Date: 08/28/07
Radio Version: 1.27.12.11
Protocol Version: 22.45.88.07H

hanmin
Old
(Last edited by hanmin; 5th September 2007 at 05:00 PM.) Reason: add url
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureGSM View Post
Not true. Another HTC handset with easy access to SIM card slot locatyed under slide out keyboard:
HTC VOX
also:
HTC TOUCH - side access to SIM card
Interesting.. I'd guess I'm at the old age. I did a bit of research, it seems that THERE ARE phones out there that can have hot-swap SIM. This is news. From Nokia N93 review

Quote:
The hot-swap SIM slot is a very good solution, especially for users having more than one SIM. It allows you to exchange SIM cards without the necessity to switch off the phone and remove the battery. It is enough to switch phone in offline mode while changing card. At least it should work and it works on N90 just fine but on N93 with the current firmware version it is impossible to remove the SIM card even in offline mode because it causes prompt freezing.

eva_d
Old
(Last edited by eva_d; 5th September 2007 at 05:03 PM.) Reason: Added link to wiki
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redah View Post
SIM card hot swapping is really bad. I work at a Operator and you don't want to know what kind of network trouble this can bring.
Such as? Hotswapping SIM card from network's point of view looks exactly the same as removing battery without actually switching off the phone, as many people do. In such case network get no notification (IMSI detach) at all about switch off, and the only 'trouble' is network still 'thinks' that user is reachable until the next PLU (Periodic Location Update) or call attempt..

Well explained article on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI_detach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redah View Post
I've also had the Kaiser for a couple weeks now, and yes, it is supposed to shut down when you open the SIM cover. It's just for your own protection, you can even break your SIM if you remove it while the device is on (and, has a electric current flowing to the SIM).
That's reasonable explanation. I have never got SIM card damaged, but I'd rather prefer not to experience it in future. :) In fact, my the very first SIM card I have *ever* had is already over 8 years old and still works perfect. ;)
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz