How to Control Both Moto G and Moto E LEDs

Notification LEDs offer a great way to check for notification at a glance on the Moto G (2013) and … more

LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Putting in the SIM card on the fly

OP eva_d

5th September 2007, 11:10 AM   |  #1  
eva_d's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Zielona Gora (PL)
Thanks Meter: 11
 
606 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2006
More
Just got my Kaiser, lovely boxing, lovely phone but I've had a little unpleasant surprise - I've entered SIM card while phone was already on. In result Kaiser have just crashed - I mean switched off itself. :( Anyone else noticed similar trouble? Does it mean there is still need to switch the phone off before changing SIMs? :(

Anyway, going to explore Kaiser. :)
5th September 2007, 03:09 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 227
 
2,226 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2006
More
its not a crash, its just what it does from what I have read, so i guess its just not "hot swapable"
5th September 2007, 03:56 PM   |  #3  
eva_d's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Zielona Gora (PL)
Thanks Meter: 11
 
606 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2whisper

its not a crash, its just what it does from what I have read, so i guess its just not "hot swapable"

It seems like - switching off occurs in the exact moment of unlocking SIM card cover... Well, shame - SIM hotswapping would be really cool :(
5th September 2007, 04:13 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
SIM card hot swapping is really bad. I work at a Operator and you don't want to know what kind of network trouble this can bring.

I've also had the Kaiser for a couple weeks now, and yes, it is supposed to shut down when you open the SIM cover. It's just for your own protection, you can even break your SIM if you remove it while the device is on (and, has a electric current flowing to the SIM).
5th September 2007, 04:19 PM   |  #5  
hanmin's Avatar
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK
Thanks Meter: 9
 
1,937 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2006
More
thats what many design work are done to prevent users from doing things dangerously. If you've noticed, that all phones SIM cards are hidden under the battery and/or blocked by the battery in one way or the other. That's to force user to shut down the phone before doing anything with it. I'm sure that's for the protection of the SIM and/or not making a mess on the telco system, which may heavily affect the phones popularity
5th September 2007, 05:01 PM   |  #6  
SecureGSM's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 1
 
502 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
More
Not true. Another HTC handset with easy access to SIM card slot locatyed under slide out keyboard:

HTC VOX

also:

HTC TOUCH - side access to SIM card


Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmin

thats what many design work are done to prevent users from doing things dangerously. If you've noticed, that all phones SIM cards are hidden under the battery and/or blocked by the battery in one way or the other. That's to force user to shut down the phone before doing anything with it. I'm sure that's for the protection of the SIM and/or not making a mess on the telco system, which may heavily affect the phones popularity

Last edited by SecureGSM; 5th September 2007 at 05:03 PM.
5th September 2007, 05:29 PM   |  #7  
Member
Flag San Jose Ca.
Thanks Meter: 0
 
54 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_d

Just got my Kaiser, lovely boxing, lovely phone but I've had a little unpleasant surprise - I've entered SIM card while phone was already on. In result Kaiser have just crashed - I mean switched off itself. Anyone else noticed similar trouble? Does it mean there is still need to switch the phone off before changing SIMs?

Anyway, going to explore Kaiser.

It's actually in the manual. Page 24 section 1.2
Always turn off your device before installing/replacing the USIM/SIM card and battery.

Cheers.
5th September 2007, 05:59 PM   |  #8  
hanmin's Avatar
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK
Thanks Meter: 9
 
1,937 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureGSM

Not true. Another HTC handset with easy access to SIM card slot locatyed under slide out keyboard:
HTC VOX
also:
HTC TOUCH - side access to SIM card

Interesting.. I'd guess I'm at the old age. I did a bit of research, it seems that THERE ARE phones out there that can have hot-swap SIM. This is news. From Nokia N93 review

Quote:

The hot-swap SIM slot is a very good solution, especially for users having more than one SIM. It allows you to exchange SIM cards without the necessity to switch off the phone and remove the battery. It is enough to switch phone in offline mode while changing card. At least it should work and it works on N90 just fine but on N93 with the current firmware version it is impossible to remove the SIM card even in offline mode because it causes prompt freezing.

Last edited by hanmin; 5th September 2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: add url
5th September 2007, 06:01 PM   |  #9  
eva_d's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Zielona Gora (PL)
Thanks Meter: 11
 
606 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redah

SIM card hot swapping is really bad. I work at a Operator and you don't want to know what kind of network trouble this can bring.

Such as? Hotswapping SIM card from network's point of view looks exactly the same as removing battery without actually switching off the phone, as many people do. In such case network get no notification (IMSI detach) at all about switch off, and the only 'trouble' is network still 'thinks' that user is reachable until the next PLU (Periodic Location Update) or call attempt..

Well explained article on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI_detach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redah

I've also had the Kaiser for a couple weeks now, and yes, it is supposed to shut down when you open the SIM cover. It's just for your own protection, you can even break your SIM if you remove it while the device is on (and, has a electric current flowing to the SIM).

That's reasonable explanation. I have never got SIM card damaged, but I'd rather prefer not to experience it in future. :) In fact, my the very first SIM card I have *ever* had is already over 8 years old and still works perfect. ;)
Last edited by eva_d; 5th September 2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Added link to wiki

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes