[Project] 08/22/12 - 2BOrange Beta 13 - universal installer for Android
New thread : Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1592042
I want to present you an Android application and a website I've made.
The project is called 2BOrange
NEW - ALL THE DOCUMENTATION IS THERE: DOCUMENTATION
The purpose of the project is to make anyone able to benefit of the best improvement available for their Android phone. It could be an application modified, a kernel, a ROM, etc, available on the net, and in particular on XDA Forum.
The application can work on any Android phone.
How Does it work?
Short version : You can post and download on a specific website a file to install on the phone, plus the shell script to execute for the installation.
There are 2 parts in the project, a website, and an Android application.
The website address: http://www.2borange.com
is used to upload and stock the shell script.
A script is composed of two parts:
- a text file
which contains the description, plus the command to execute in the shell
- an optional zip file
. The zip will contain any file necessary to the execution of the command, like a kernel to install.
By example, on Samsung GS, it is possible to install a kernel through the Android shell even if cwm is not installed. The script will contain commands to install the kernel and the zip file will contain the zImage itself plus the Samsung tool used for the installation. The zip size is limited to 20MB for the moment. It can be improved in the near future.
Is it Free ? Is it Open Source?
It is totally free.
Android application is open source, the code can be downloaded at this address
. The php scripts executed on the website will become open source when I will be sure there is no security risk.
Do I have to learn a new programming language to use your application?
You just have to use the android shell command and that's all.
So, how to do now?
1) You are a potential user of the application
In this case:
- install the application on your Android phone
- search something you want to install
- push download button
- push execute button
- that's all
- there is no need to create any account
2) You are an author of Kernel, ROM, application...
In this case:
- create an account on the website
- modify a script model or write your own from scratch
- upload the script and any file useful
If you need some example, go on the 2BOrange website
Can I help you?
Yes, you can:
- report the bugs you met in this thread or directly in the Google project page
- give some ideas of improvement
Just a last question, why this project?
To have the occasion to learn Java and PHP in a better way that some tuto on the net.
In advance, Thanks to everyone for your messages, report, ideas
List of all the Android application functions:
- can search a script by the name of it
- can filter the result of a search by the phone properties (name, brand, firmware) - NEW FUNCTION
- can display the last uploaded scripts on the 2BOrange server - NEW FUNCTION
- download a script from the 2BOrange server
- download a zip from the 2BOrange server
- download a file from any server of you provide a web link - NEW FUNCTION
- check the integrity of the file using MD5SUM - NEW FUNCTION
- can execute the script in the Android phone shell with root rights if needed and if the phone has been previously rooted
- can notify the user if an update of a script is available - BIG NEW FUNCTION
- can edit a script directly inside the application - BIG NEW FUNCTION
List of all 2BOrange website functions:
- can create an account to upload some work or to add comment to a script
- can perform a script search by giving a name
- do not need to have an account to search and see a script
- can upload a script and a zip file as attachment
- can send it to the phone
- compute a MD5SUM for the files uploaded on the server and communicate it to the phone, so integrity of the file is always checked - NEW FUNCTION
- can add and display comment for each script
- can delete a script
- can abandon a script, the script is not deleted, but another user can adopt it and update it in the future - NEW FUNCTION
- can inform a user that a comment relative to a specific script has been added - NEW FUNCTION
- can count votes for a specific script - NEW FUNCTION
- can update the user profile (password and email) - NEW FUNCTION
- can display a script including the description part - NEW FUNCTION
- have access to a documentation of the server and the application
- 8/22/11: fix an annoying connection bug
- 8/19/11: NEW FUNCTION : Editor of script inside the application + UI improvments + some bugs fixed + many optimisation
- 8/16/11: Beta 11 UI improvments
- beta 5 : add md5sum check on script.txt too,
- beta 6 : add check on execution of a script on a non rooted phone
- beta 7 : improvment in information message box
- beta 8, 9, 10 : general improvments, rewriting of a part of the source code for optimisation
- 7/31/11: improvement in the interface of the android application + bug fixes
- 7/26/11: finally uploaded a documentation on the website
- 7/26/11: fix a bug on the 2BOrange server
which prevents users to upload their work when they are under windows
- 7/21/11: Beta 3 of the application with lots of improvement in the Android application
- fix bugs
- improve the display
- possibility to add comment to a script through the application
- display the votes
- vote through the phone
- share the source code of the website