Flash playback on TF vs Tab 10.1

Search This thread

newtybar

May 11, 2011
GOT IT!!!!!
changed the settings in the browser...
user agent string in the advanced tab to tablet and it now streams 1080p via the browser on the YouTube website. YouTube must opitimise playback for tablets automatically.

I don't want to see mobile versions of websites hence why I have the browser set to desktop

I set mine to desktop as well....

Why would I want to view mobile sites?!

I will try the VEVO (user agent:tab) vs VEVO (user agent: desktop) when I get home.

sassafras_

Aug 18, 2010
Flash video playback on the Transformer is not being accelerated, end of story. If playback seems ok on some 720p source then it is just that: a perception. The human eye isnt really capable of discerning frame rates much above 20-25 fps on average so if the software is getting close to that ( for some people 15 might even be enough) they might perceive to be ok but it is still NOT working correctly.

The only solution right now is to watch videos in HTML5 or in the native YouTube app.

I have filed an official bug report with both Adobe and Asus and we'll hopefully get some feedback on this soon.

sassafras

Last edited:

darkonex

Jun 2, 2011
Good idea, I filed a bug report to Asus too on this and the battery drain on dock and random reboots and pointed them to this forum with all these issues. More of us should do this to try so they know we really need fixes for these.

Reactions: chatch15117

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Actually to fix this on Youtube in a browser go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and opt in to have the videos be HTML5 by default, it seems to be working for me, I just played some vids in the browser @ 720P and they weren't all jerky like they were before, and still get the full site experience.

What browser are you Using? if I et plugins to be on demand all Youtube videos still want to use flash even after I've opted in...

xTRICKYxx

Jun 30, 2011
Jericho
www.youtube.com
Now it is just a matter of waiting. When I first got my tablet, I was extremely disappointed with the sluggish playback while being perplexed on why that was. But HOPEFULLY, Asus or Adobe or Google (whoever screwed this up) will fix this and we will all be happy!

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
oh I See! It appears not every video on Youtube is served with html5. The on tajt have adverts still use flash and so do a lot of others. The opt in does work though on many titles. Nice find :D

we still need a proper patch though...

cottinghamm

May 2, 2006
I have tried the Tablet vs. Desktop setting for the BBC website to watch the tennis, in Tablet you get full screen, in Desktop only a small section when selecting Full Screen - seems odd.

On either the performance is pixelated and choppy, nothing wrong with my network speed.

From the comments here it seems obvious that Flash video through the browser is compromised and Asus need to address this. We all know that the browser has other faults such as laggy text entry & FCs so there are multiple issues that need addressing.

Someone from Asus really should be looking at these threads.

vikdmon

Sep 1, 2006
New York
I am now using Opera as my main browser becaus eas you say its teh fastest so far, I know flash is not enabled which might be a caue of some of teh speed increase but it stil seems snapper. I tried original, then went to Dolphin HD which was good, then found Maxthon which I thought I was going to stick with, then I tried opera mobile whcih Ive now set as my main browser. There seems to be less issues viewing various sites and it just seesm nicer to use. I kept maxthon incase i needed flash but I don't tend to need it much, if at all really.

All my issues seem to be related to teh base software from google. I wonder why they aren't releasing the code for something thats supposed to be open source? what are they hiding? I know they say they wrote it from the ground up but I know of a lot of coders that have had a poke around and have said a lot of the coding seems to be left from teh earlier android versions. Are they trying to hide that? Makes me wonder...

Flash is now enabled for Opera mobile 11.1

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1148317

http://www.opera.com/mobile/specs/

deadman3000

May 27, 2006
Anyone know how I can stop the Youtube app from playing back videos in Opera Mobile latest? It seems top be opening them in the Youtube app when I click a video. I want to play them natively in Opera Mobile. Flash or HTML5 so I can compare.

vikdmon

Sep 1, 2006
New York
Anyone know how I can stop the Youtube app from playing back videos in Opera Mobile latest? It seems top be opening them in the Youtube app when I click a video. I want to play them natively in Opera Mobile. Flash or HTML5 so I can compare.
Try:
Settings -> Applications -> All -> Youtube . Clear Defaults

And then go to browser and try to play a flash video it should ask how the action should be performed, select browser. You can check the default box if you want.

xTRICKYxx

Jun 30, 2011
Jericho
www.youtube.com
There really is nothing we can do to FIX the lack of Hardware Acceleration at this time; only find something that seems a little better. I for one will enable HTML5 on YouTube, and wait for a new SD card to overclock my Transformer.

sassafras_

Aug 18, 2010
Here's the situation:

Flash hardware acceleration is totally possible. I know that, you know that, they know that. In theory, it should be working. We have Honeycomb 3.1, the latest Flash Player in the market and everything seems golden.

The problem is that the Flash Player itself is not loading a module called "Stage Video." This module is required for hardware accelerated playback on any device. Stage Video has to work on your PC if you want acceleration there, it has to work on your Transformer if you want acceleration there too. From what I understand, there will be one of two reasons why it is not working. Either 1) Adobe passes the request off to the OS and the OS replies that it cannot do it (Asus's fault) or 2) Flash Player assumes that this is a low-end Android device and doesn't even bother trying to load the Stage Video module (Adobe's fault).

Having the kernel source will not fix this problem because this is not where the problem lies. Hopefully this is just a problem with Flash Player not being aware of what the Transformer is and--wrongly--refusing to load the Stage Video module. That should be an easy fix that they can push to the market as soon as they identify and correct it. If it's a problem with the Asus built Honeycomb libraries being modified in such a way as they are borked, then this requires Asus to solve the problem.

Does this make sense? Right now we're at the mercy of Adobe (and maybe Asus) to solve this problem for us.

sassafras

cerchiara

Oct 17, 2007
So maybe we need to start barking at adobe and not just asus.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have both TF and the Tab 10.1 right now and contemplating returning one. I liked both the tablets, but one little issue I dont like about the TF is flash playback. Flash playback even in 720p, is ultra smooth on the 10.1, while its choppy at best on the TF. Anyone else facing the same issue?

Anyone running custom ROMs able to fix this? Would getting the browser apk from the Tab 10.1 fix this issue on thr TF?
    this is a known issue, go to .. http://www.youtube.com/my_speed

Scroll down and hit show test video.. URL see the fps, change it to 720p on my tf it gets 9-10 ,where is the xookm gets 30+ on all videos , and I'm on 3.1

Seems like hardware acceleration isn't working with tf...
    What does 10.1 get
    ENOUGH OF THE VS THREADS ALREADY!

Either you like it or not. Just make up your mind by yourself....because that is ALL that is gonna use it....YOU.

SO asking others will not help YOU out.

Sorry for the outburst but these VS threads are getting out of hand and are just going to start a flame war. They should NOT be allowed.

There was no intention of flame. The question was asked, to find out what different in the TF, having the same hardware n the OS as the Tab 10.1. I'm not asking others to take my decision, I'm only asking others to help me resolve an issue, which I feel is important in my decision making. Stop jumping onto obnoxious conclusions.
    So maybe we need to start barking at adobe and not just asus.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

I've filed a bug report with Adobe and it is currently under review by their guy in charge of dealing with Android Flash Player bugs.

sassafras
    Flash video playback on the Transformer is not being accelerated, end of story. If playback seems ok on some 720p source then it is just that: a perception. The human eye isnt really capable of discerning frame rates much above 20-25 fps on average so if the software is getting close to that ( for some people 15 might even be enough) they might perceive to be ok but it is still NOT working correctly.

The only solution right now is to watch videos in HTML5 or in the native YouTube app.

I have filed an official bug report with both Adobe and Asus and we'll hopefully get some feedback on this soon.

sassafras