[Tutorial] Phone Calls on Verizon Tab (both incoming + outgoing)
*this is for intellectual purposes only. i'm not responsible if you break your TOS with Verizon, and so on and so forth.*
(this is based on google voice, which is US and (maybe canada?) only. i think the same process would work with another VOIP type account, so like if you pay for vonage, or something, you can create an extension on the pbxes.org site, and then follow the same steps, but putting in the VOIP info instead of the google voice info, for those of you who are rocking the big VZW internationally.
to make calls: (outbound)
1. if you don't already have a google voice account, get one.
2. download dialer one.
4. download the google voice apk (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22394327/gv4232.apk
5. go to google voice on the computer, and add your tab's 'phone number' (found under the about device->status->device number. it'll act like it needs to verify some stuff to work, but it doesn't, really.
6. go through the set up on your device. (keep repeating the set up, and eventually, it'll tell you that it can't configure voicemail.)
7. open sipdroid. at the bottom of the screen, there'll be a button that says 'link pbx to existing gv account'. hit that, and enter your password.
8. go to pbxes.org (on your computer) and log in with the username and password you just created.
9. click 'extensions'. choose the sip 200 link
10. change anything you need to change, like outbound caller ID or whatever.
11. open the settings in the sipdroid app
12. put the password in first, even though it's second on the list.
13. put in your username with a -200. so if your username is flamingo, you'd put in flamingo-200.
14. set it to use wlan only, or wlan and 3g, if you've got a decent dataplan.
15. exit out of settings
16. put in a phone number and hit enter.
17. enjoy having outgoing phone-call abilities on your Verizon Tab.
(as far as I know, you don't need root for any of this. I'm running a rooted, Better Than Life RC1 tab, so YMMV.)
ETA: inbound calling: (again, i think this is US and Canada only)
okay. now I have incoming calls on the google voice number. here's what i did.
1. go to https://secure.tpad.com/signup/
and sign up for a SIP number. it's free, near as i can tell. i didn't put in any billing information anywhere.
2. after you have your tpad SIP number, go to http://phone.ipkall.com/
and port your SIP number there, to get a free, us based phone number.
3. add that phone number to google voice.
4. open sipdroid on the phone, and select your second account option under settings.
5. put your tpad SIP number into the auth username part. put your password into the password part, and put sip.tpad.com as the server or proxy. leave everything else the same.
6. go back into google voice on the computer, and click verify.
7. answer your tab, and enter the verification code.
8. your SIP number now forwards to your ipkall number, which forwards to your google voice number, allowing you to get free incoming calls on your tab.
9. use your other device to call yourself, and feel clever. enjoy!