Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 36,361 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Fre3vo / Fre3dom Official Thread

Tip us?

pbedard
Old
Thanks Meter 356
Oh yes they are thry released the kernel to blow a whole

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

ViViDboarder
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 617

DONATE TO ME
Come on people, stop whining! (at least in this thread).

We all want to see this through by any means and we'll just need to be patient or keep working. Venting frustration in the Dev forum isn't really going to help.

If you want to vent AND be helpful, vent on the HTC Facebook page or bug them over email and Twitter. Frustrated customers can be a strong motivator, but I doubt HTC cares much about what is said in this thread.

So I hope this post is encouraging.

Favorite Quotes: Emulators | Crysis

OnePlus One (On the way)
Nexus 7
Nexus 4 (CM Nightlies)
HTC One S (CM10) SOLD
Google Nexus One (CM7)
Touchpad (WebOS/CM9 with twrp 2) SOLD
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (CM9) SOLD
EVO 3D (Mynz/CM9 + twrp 2) SOLD
EVO 4G (CM 7 + twrp 2) SOLD
iPhone 3G (whited00r) SOLD

Twitter | UbuntuForums Profile | MacRumors Forums | WinMatrix Profile

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViViDboarder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quailallstar
Old
Thanks Meter 93

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrabren View Post
[GUIDE] Fre3vo / Fre3dom Official Thread

#teamwin is proud to announce the Fre3vo tool for the HTC EVO 3D and Sensation!

What is Fre3vo: Fre3vo is a temp-root acquiring tool, allowing users access to a root shell on their HTC EVO 3D and Sensation devices.

What is Fre3dom: Fre3dom is the name of the tool being developed to enable S-OFF on the EVO 3D and Sensation.

ETAs:
Fre3vo: Available Now!!! http://tinyw.in/1lJ
Fre3dom: No ETA yet.

Prereqs:
1. You must be able to push files via adb to your device.
2. You must know what a shell is.

Instructions:
1. Download the fre3vo zip
2. Unzip the fre3vo binary
3. Push the binary via 'adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp'
4. Change the permissions via 'adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'
5. Run the binary via 'adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'

If all goes well, you'll be kicked back to your computer's command prompt. (Some may get more messages, but it seems the Sensation buffers the stderr more than the EVO 3D)

run 'adb shell' and you should have a '#' prompt instead of '%'.

This is temporary root. A reboot will clobber it. Also realize that the system partition is nand-protected (at least on the EVO 3D) so writes won't stick for long, and there will be issues getting tools like Titanium Backup to work. We are still developing upon this huge stepping stone. We look forward to hearing methods other developers have found to build temp root to either make the device better, or gain perm root even.

This *IS* a work in progress.
Worked like a charm on the first try Thank you.

LG Optimus L70 Black

BlackBerry Z30 LTE STA100-5

Let's connect on LinkedIn | Twitter: @LuvGermanCars

PortableTech
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Please forgive my tired brain if I am way off track here, but tell me if this makes any sense given my limited understanding of processes and permissions.

We have now a situation where we can for a short term run processes with super-user privileges. Also, unless I am mistaken (and I may well be) the permissions that a process has are determined at launch time, and thus a processed launched with su permissions should maintain them until terminated.

Assuming that this filesystem reset that occurs to undo the changes we have made does not go terminating processes at the same time, would it not be possible to write a program that would continue to run in resident memory with su privileges and watch for the file system to revert, and then when it sees this action, the process could, using its existing su privileges, put things back the way we want them?

I am making several assumptions here, so please feel free to educate me on my fallacies. Either way, thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

Oh, and to the great folks whom put this temp root together, it works wonderfully. Your efforts, time, and dedication are greatly appreciated.

--Mia

DigitalPioneer
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Mia:

What happens to lose the root is a reboot. We make changes to the is, but the flash memory rejects them so when the os boots again, the changes are reverted. In a reboot, all processes are necessarily terminated.

Until you reboot, you get to be root. :P

Alternatively, the os may try to write your changes to the flash memory while running, and it gets an error when the memory says "no." In this event, the os forces the filesystem to be read only, and no changes can be made until (you guessed it) you reboot.

Tilde88
Old
(Last edited by Tilde88; 8th July 2011 at 10:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 211
Is it just me or does SU(app) only work for one program per root? IE... I root everything good... open TiBu fine... SU allows... Then go to SetCPU ... root failed... go to TiBu, still has root... try to open SU app FC... reboot... reroot... SetCPU opens, allows... Try TiBu fails. Rinse + repeat.

Hmm... weird... Now SetCPU always works and TiBu never... guess ill read the TiBu threads.
Better than DropBox, you get more space, and its forever + free. https://copy.com?r=ZBCUUK using my link you get an extra 5GB, so thats 20GB permanent storage. You can get +5GB for every referral.

wake69
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilde88 View Post
Is it just me or does SU(app) only work for one program per root? IE... I root everything good... open TiBu fine... SU allows... Then go to SetCPU ... root failed... go to TiBu, still has root... try to open SU app FC... reboot... reroot... SetCPU opens, allows... Try TiBu fails. Rinse + repeat.

Hmm... weird... Now SetCPU always works and TiBu never... guess ill read the TiBu threads.
with alot of these methods, SU is not stickied and if you are not running the su loop script in adb su will fail. try one of the new bat files here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1159354
and see if that works for you, it is getting good reviews thus far and i am looking to try when i get home. need to bring micro usb to work

Zarboz
Old
Known Scammer
Thanks Meter 9,257

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake69 View Post
with alot of these methods, SU is not stickied and if you are not running the su loop script in adb su will fail. try one of the new bat files here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1159354
and see if that works for you, it is getting good reviews thus far and i am looking to try when i get home. need to bring micro usb to work
5 hours layer still have root with Eugenes .bat

sent from my EVO 3D

Building a better droid is the purpose of today Android History
G1->mytouch 3g -> Mytouch slide -> Mytouch 4g -> HD2 magldr -> Thunderbolt -> Evo 3D -> Sensation -> Evo 4g -> Evo 3D -> HTC vivid -> One X -> One S -> ( Evo LTE (thanks xda) -> Droid DNA
I stay HTC.
Checkout my new project at EasyDevStudio
[showp1984] Times of day and sleep are something for weak people - I am a cybernetic organism, and have a sleep mode.
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Come hangout
irc.freenode.net
#teamblackout
I BUY BRICKED PHONES!

The Following User Says Thank You to Zarboz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shad0w77
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarboz View Post
5 hours layer still have root with Eugenes .bat

sent from my EVO 3D
+1 10 char

HTC ONE: ViperROM
Nexus 7: Offical AOKP

mikeyxda
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 13,163

DONATE TO ME
Does anyone know why fre3vo will run if you execute it via adb, but it fails with "this device is unsupported by this exploit" if you put the exact same command (/data/local/tmp/fre3vo) in a shell script (root.sh) and you run that script form the phone without adb? Why does the same command work via adb but not in a script when you run it from the phone?

If this could be addressed, we could easily have permanent root or at least be able to root from the phone without a computer.

Mike

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe