galaxy s2 android 4.0

Search This thread

redcellx

May 18, 2011
Hello Galaxy s2 owners,

I have 2 questions I need help with:

I sold my iphone 4 to get the Galaxy S2 , it comes with gingerbread. When icecream sandwich comes out (Android 4.0), is it easy for me to upgrade to the new android version.......... like in the iphone you can just sync to I tunes and do it,
I want to know is it simple for a non techie person to upgrade the firmware to ice cream sandwich when it comes out ?

Second question: They released an extended battery for the galaxy s2 anyone has any experiences with it and can tell how long it lasts ?

Thanks
RedCell X

JupiterdroidXDA

Jul 8, 2011
London
Hello Galaxy s2 owners,

I have 2 questions I need help with:

I sold my iphone 4 to get the Galaxy S2 , it comes with gingerbread. When icecream sandwich comes out (Android 4.0), is it easy for me to upgrade to the new android version.......... like in the iphone you can just sync to I tunes and do it,
I want to know is it simple for a non techie person to upgrade the firmware to ice cream sandwich when it comes out ?

Second question: They released an extended battery for the galaxy s2 anyone has any experiences with it and can tell how long it lasts ?

Thanks
RedCell X

You will upgrade either through samsungs version of iTunes which Is kies, or through a leak, in a program called Odin (but you will download the rom independent in this process). We will most likely get 4.0 or 3.5 or what ever its gonna be called in a cyanogen mod rom first, and that would be flashed by a functioning clockworkmod (CWM), and for the second question, learn to charge every night at bedtime and your phone will last you all day mate:)

JD@XDA

Sent from my Samsung Galactic Crusader S II

Last edited:

redcellx

May 18, 2011
Hello,

Thanks for your response, so upgrading it fro keys or odin , is it simple as using itunes ?
Is it a simple process or is it an process only techies can do ?

Thanks
redcellx

JupiterdroidXDA

Jul 8, 2011
London
Hello,

Thanks for your response, so upgrading it fro keys or odin , is it simple as using itunes ?
Is it a simple process or is it an process only techies can do ?

Thanks
redcellx

Both are a simple process, kies is simpler because its all automated, but the downside is you will have to wait until Samsung officially releases it. I'm running 2.3.4 thanks to Odin. Odin is a little more technical but with a little revision and research you can master it in 10mins, there is a great tutorial in intratechs thread in the Dec section that tells you how to flash his packaged stock roms for Odin;) check it out;))) Odin is my preferred way because roms are leaked usually a few days/weeks before they are released on kies;)

JD@XDA

redcellx

May 18, 2011
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response, with odin my galaxy s2 must be rooted right ?
My phone numbest be rooted before i can use odin to instal the new os on it right ?
I think rooting it would be a techie skill than a newbie skill.

RedCell X

JupiterdroidXDA

Jul 8, 2011
London
Hello,

My phone numbest be rooted before i can use odin to instal the new os on it right ?

RedCell X

No,

Rooting is something that's done when the rom is installed, to install the rom you will go into a mode called download mode. You get into this mode by holding(down volume, power and home buttons until you get to a screen which asks you if you want to install custom Roms on the device. You reply yes by up volume and you should see a big green android, this is the mode you flash through Odin in. There is a great tutorial on intratechs thread dude in the dev section, he explains how to use it, once you start flashing its like heroin, lol;)

JD@XDA

JupiterdroidXDA

Jul 8, 2011
London
To root is just as easy too, its just a matter of flashing a kernel the same way and then flashing the stock kernel back. You have the biggest support network here so we are here to help you every step of the way. You will get the odd mushroom here that will say, use the search button, and stuff like that, but ignore them;) They forget that they was new once too;)

JD@XDA

qwerty warrior

Jan 21, 2011
Hello,

RedCell X

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

odin dosnt require root
its a pc program
ull just have to show odin where ur update is (4 files )
then click 3 check boxes
shut down ur phone and go to download mode
*u do that by clicking 3 buttons a lot like jail breaking an iphone
after that press volume up on ur phone to start download mode
and odin on ur pc will show a yellow box
after that click start on ur pc and wait

these are normally for stock roms from samsung not custom roms
i normally stay away from custom roms too scared :eek:

redcellx

May 18, 2011
Hello,

I am afraid of bricking the galaxy s2, where is the tutorial can you send me a link to the video please? This cynogen mod whats so special about it, is it better than the stocked gingerbread that comes with the galaxy s2 ?

redcellx

qwerty warrior

Jan 21, 2011
Hello,

I am afraid of bricking the galaxy s2, where is the tutorial can you send me a link to the video please? This cynogen mod whats so special about it, is it better than the stocked gingerbread that comes with the galaxy s2 ?

redcellx

look its better to just update through KIES and stay on the safe side
when u start learning more about android
then move to the next stage
ive been learning about android for about 3 months
rooting and custom roms is still super confusing for me

JupiterdroidXDA

Jul 8, 2011
London
Hello,

redcellx

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

You can't brick through Odin, unless you disconnect during flashing the radio. You have actually more chance of bricking your phone during a kies update as its buggy and crashes out quite a lot;(

JD@XDA

JupiterdroidXDA

Jul 8, 2011
London
Hello,

redcellx

Cyanogen mod is android in its purest form built purely from open source. Its then tweaked to add special menus and options to give it an extra edge. Also it gives the latest OS to the masses earlier. The desire HD has only just got gingerbread, cm has given gingerbread to the desire HD for about 6 months;))) this is its beauty:)

JD@XDA

redcellx

May 18, 2011
Hello,

I have a mac is odin ...... mac compliant ?
Where do I get this Odin application ?

Thanks
redcell x

redcellx

May 18, 2011
Hello,

Is cynogen mod available for the galaxy s2 yet ? So in essence CM is better than stocked android on the galaxy s2. If i am understand correctly I can use odin to root, update and get a better and newer version of android before it is officially out. This is awesome. Whats the downside, do i need drivers, does it drains the battery etc, will i still have touchwiz ?

Ex_silentio

Jul 6, 2011
Riga
Don't listen all this tech oriented guys. :D If before you use your iPhone as-is, you don't need any kind of Odins, firmwares et cetera. Samsung Kies found any official updates, and with two mouse clicks you can install this on your phone. Thats all.

Samsung Galaxy II have very impressive tech parameters, but really disappointing with software. It is reason why people looking for another ROMs flashing this trough Odin and so on, but still no one from this ROMs don't resolve all problems and bugs..
And keep in mind - in case of failure - you can brick your phone and/or loose guaranties..

And I agree with qwerty warrior..
stay on the safe side

Reactions: qwerty warrior

intruda119

Mar 12, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
What's wrong with the software?

Don't listen all this tech oriented guys. :D If before you use your iPhone as-is, you don't need any kind of Odins, firmwares et cetera. Samsung Kies found any official updates, and with two mouse clicks you can install this on your phone. Thats all.

Samsung Galaxy II have very impressive tech parameters, but really disappointing with software. It is reason why people looking for another ROMs flashing this trough Odin and so on, but still no one from this ROMs don't resolve all problems and bugs..
And keep in mind - in case of failure - you can brick your phone and/or loose guaranties..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

JupiterdroidXDA

Jul 8, 2011
London

Not good advice if you want to stay dumb to the advances made:) Its not so techy;))

JD@XDA

JupiterdroidXDA

Jul 8, 2011
London
intruda119;15539446]What's wrong with the software?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App[/QUOTE]

I would not try and work this dude out, seems like another trying to block people from advancing from scared user into confident intelligent informed user...

JD@XDA

Ex_silentio

Jul 6, 2011
Riga
What's wrong with the software?
Just look at custom ROMs features. Lag fix, lag fix, lag fix..

For example - I have been using HTC Desire Z & HTC HD - and HTC original soft is much more better then Samsung. Not ideal, of course, but much better! But Samsung have better hardware and screens.. ;)

I do not want to discourage people from learning! No! I only ask to do it gradually and safely! Each with a time can begin to flash the phone and use custom ROMs, but not the very next day after switching from iPhone to Android.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

stay on the safe side
    Kies is an unreliable piece of dirt. I have never even installed it... If you are happy with stock, use it.

If you are more discerning and want safer quality stuff, use odin or heimdall... I know 2 people who used kies. I had to fix both using odin due to kies being useless...

Software on SGS2 is amazing compared to other phones I have had. People are being very picky imo...
    you can update on the phone...

but try the lightning rom in the developer section its much faster