Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,934 Members 37,624 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Mobile iSCSI Initiator - Connect to your HDD no matter where you are!

Tip us?
 
Matt_Williams
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Talking Windows Mobile iSCSI Initiator - Connect to your HDD no matter where you are!

Hello all!

I would like to tell you that there is an app that allow you to connect to your hard drive whenever you are over WiFi or 3G/4G. Thanks to that you can get huge storage boost (even 2TB) in your Windows Mobile 4.x to 6.x phone. Best thing is, you can do it for free!

First this software is KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator and it works for both, Windows Embedded CE and Windows Mobile. It uses iSCSI technology to attach new storage to your phone. You can connect to your drive using either WiFi or 3G/4G.


It can be used in many different ways:

* Access hard drive when you are not at home
* Copy data directly from mobile device to backup drive
* Automatically save pictures from your phone to your hard drive
* Easily share data with friends that have WinCE iSCSI Initiator installed
* Stream movies from your hard drive directly to your mobile device


The best way to see it in action is to watch a video tutorial on Youtube.

Finally, you can download this software FOR FREE here:

http://www.kernsafe.com/product/winc...initiator.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt_Williams For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Matt_Williams
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Does any one have some feedback or suggestion about it?

I would love to hear some comments from users.
 
cajunflavoredbob
Old
(Last edited by cajunflavoredbob; 24th July 2011 at 08:58 PM.)
#3  
cajunflavoredbob's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6,816
Posts: 9,604
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Your Basement
I've watched the video and looked into it myself, but the downside to this software seems to be that you need the $99 iStorage software installed on your PC first. I'm sorry, but as amazing as this application is, most users on this site are not going to pay a hundred dollars to have that added storage space when their are several online backup solutions to choose from. I understand that the iStorage Server software is shareware, but that still means that it would still eventually need to have a license purchased.
¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯ New users: Please click HERE or HERE before posting ¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯

PHP Code:
public class XDA {
    public static 
void main(String[] args) {
        
System.out.println("XDA Member");
                if (
You beg for thanks) {
                        
"Go Jump Off a Bridge!";
        }
    }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord. –Proverbs 18:22 KJV
The Following User Says Thank You to cajunflavoredbob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
swiss420
Old
(Last edited by swiss420; 25th July 2011 at 09:23 AM.)
#4  
swiss420's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 349
Posts: 1,103
Join Date: Jul 2007

 
DONATE TO ME
Default FreeNAS and KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator

With this very helpfull hint I imediately tried it out and it works amazingly good. I never used iSCSI before but after reading up on Extends, Targets, and Portals, a quick and dirty setup worked well. I now can define as many disks I want. For the test I set up a 500MB Disk. That said there are still a couple of things I have to look into. Right now its setup for a local target via WLAN. Copying a MP3 of 3.3MB took about a minute where the device was responding poorly. Once it was on the iSCSI drive I wanted to listen to the MP3 and double clicked on it. After 20 to 30 seconds it started playing it without interruptions. I wonder if the delay is soly based on the bandwidth or if there are things I could do too improve the speed. An 200KB text file can be copied and opend without delay.

Edit: Speed seemed to be related to a very old HDD. Will leave more reliable benchmarks and experience in a later post.

Things to figure out:

Wireless connectivity in Standby
Backup for KernSafe iSCSI Initiator
MPIO Multipathing Support for iSCSI
Secure Worldwide Access (iSCSI with CHAP authentication through a SSH Tunnel)
Writeout Clear instructions on how to set up everything. (The posibilities are very complex)
PIMBackup iSCSI drive as Target through 3G

Server Software used:

FreeNAS v7 (http://www.freenas.org/)
KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator (http://www.kernsafe.com/download/Win...itiator1.0.zip)

Screenshots:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	664358Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	664359Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	664368Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot4.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	664369Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	664370Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	664371


The Following User Says Thank You to swiss420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Matt_Williams
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunflavoredbob View Post
I've watched the video and looked into it myself, but the downside to this software seems to be that you need the $99 iStorage software installed on your PC first. I'm sorry, but as amazing as this application is, most users on this site are not going to pay a hundred dollars to have that added storage space when their are several online backup solutions to choose from. I understand that the iStorage Server software is shareware, but that still means that it would still eventually need to have a license purchased.
You are not entirely correct. iStorage Server, as you will see on the licensing page here http://www.kernsafe.com/product/isto...-compares.aspx, have also a free version available. That means you don't need to purchase it, in order to use it after the trial period is expired.

In other words, after installing trial version, you may either choose to use it in unlimited form for 20 days and then change it to limited free version, or immediately apply free license to it after installation.


NOTE:
Free version of iStorage Server allow you to create one iSCSI target which is sufficient to use all Mobile iSCSI Initiator features. Therefore using app itself even with iStorage Server is completely free.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt_Williams For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cajunflavoredbob
Old
#6  
cajunflavoredbob's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6,816
Posts: 9,604
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Your Basement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Williams View Post
You are not entirely correct. iStorage Server, as you will see on the licensing page here http://www.kernsafe.com/product/isto...-compares.aspx, have also a free version available. That means you don't need to purchase it, in order to use it after the trial period is expired.

In other words, after installing trial version, you may either choose to use it in unlimited form for 20 days and then change it to limited free version, or immediately apply free license to it after installation.


NOTE:
Free version of iStorage Server allow you to create one iSCSI target which is sufficient to use all Mobile iSCSI Initiator features. Therefore using app itself even with iStorage Server is completely free.
Thank you for clearing that up. I think I will give it another try then. I wouldn't mind paying for an app like this, I just thought $100 was pretty steep for it. Have you considered making a standalone app for WM that would accomplish this? Ever since MS announced they would be shutting down their storage and backup services for WM, users have been looking for other ways. This is a very nice method.
¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯ New users: Please click HERE or HERE before posting ¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯-.¸¸.·´¯

PHP Code:
public class XDA {
    public static 
void main(String[] args) {
        
System.out.println("XDA Member");
                if (
You beg for thanks) {
                        
"Go Jump Off a Bridge!";
        }
    }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord. –Proverbs 18:22 KJV
 
Matt_Williams
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss420 View Post
With this very helpfull hint I imediately tried it out and it works amazingly good. I never used iSCSI before but after reading up on Extends, Targets, and Portals, a quick and dirty setup worked well. I now can define as many disks I want. For the test I set up a 500MB Disk. That said there are still a couple of things I have to look into. Right now its setup for a local target via WLAN. Copying a MP3 of 3.3MB took about a minute where the device was responding poorly. Once it was on the iSCSI drive I wanted to listen to the MP3 and double clicked on it. After 20 to 30 seconds it started playing it without interruptions. I wonder if the delay is soly based on the bandwidth or if there are things I could do too improve the speed. An 200KB text file can be copied and opend without delay.

Things to figure out:

Wireless connectivity in Standby
Backup for KernSafe iSCSI Initiator
MPIO Multipathing Support for iSCSI
Secure Worldwide Access (iSCSI with CHAP authentication through a SSH Tunnel)
Writeout Clear instructions on how to set up everything. (The posibilities are very complex)
PIMBackup iSCSI drive as Target through 3G

Server Software used:

FreeNAS v7 (http://www.freenas.org/)
KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator (http://www.kernsafe.com/download/Win...itiator1.0.zip)

Screenshots:

Attachment 664358Attachment 664359Attachment 664368Attachment 664369Attachment 664370Attachment 664371


swiss420,

Thank you very much for giving our app a try!


To help you with you low performance problem, you would first need to check if this is software or hardware related.

To determine it, you would need to copy files to your phone using same network (WLAN).

To do it, you can set up a build-in IIS in Windows Server 2003 and 2008. Then you can easily open a website using your phone and download some files from it.
You would need to setup IIS because you would need to download some files locally so you can check the performance of your network using your device.
Using Internet to test it wouldn’t be accurate source of information since then speed of the internet is additional variable.

If you don't know how to set up IIS, please tell on which OS you would like to do it and I can guide you set by step how to do it.

Alternatively you may use other software like XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) which can be installed on either Windows, Linux or Mac.
Same as with IIS, it will allow you to create a web server from which you may download file.
If you would like me to assist you with XAMPP, please tell me, and I will be glad to help you.

About your MP3 problem, did you use default Windows Media Player to listen to it? If not, can you check if using WMP will help?
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt_Williams For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Matt_Williams
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunflavoredbob View Post
Thank you for clearing that up. I think I will give it another try then. I wouldn't mind paying for an app like this, I just thought $100 was pretty steep for it. Have you considered making a standalone app for WM that would accomplish this? Ever since MS announced they would be shutting down their storage and backup services for WM, users have been looking for other ways. This is a very nice method.
Im glad you will check it!
But what do you mean by creating a separate version for Windows Mobile?
Create an iSCSI Target app for WM?
 
swiss420
Old
(Last edited by swiss420; 25th July 2011 at 10:29 AM.)
#9  
swiss420's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 349
Posts: 1,103
Join Date: Jul 2007

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Williams View Post
...To help you with you low performance problem, you would first need to check if this is software or hardware related.
...
Acctualy I probably know what impacts performance in my case. Its a 20 Year old HDD that I used in my NAS. But since it worked I can now set up a brand new FreeNAS v8 x64 Server with a couple 2TB SATA3 drives. Its been long overdue anyway. I preferr FreeNAS because it allows great flexibility, its super easy to setup, and just like KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator its just a great product from some very talented people. Will post instructions on how I set up everything so in case someone is interested in giving it a try. Offcourse on the Windows Side of life KernSafe seems to have other nice products unfortunately Unix based Servers are just so much more convenient for my purposes. So that I dont feel to bad maybe setup a donation button on your website for the free powerhouse client. Just an idea.

PS: All my external HDD's are hooked up to the FreeNAS Server. My System boots and in general responds better. FreeNAS Emails or Alerts me if one of the HDD's is running into problems and Hotpluggeable to take with me is also no problem. I can only recomend this set up. Used to have 5 external HDD's on my System which was a pain under Windows.

PS: By the way Matt_Williams and or KernSafe thank you so much for a Windows Mobile Client. I know the trend goes to Windows Phone and Android so your contribution is greatly appreciated. I am realy looking forward to trying it over 3G once it runs good over Wireless. Just for knowledge sake do iSCSI clients exist under Windows Phone 7 and or Android?


 
mike2nl
Old
#10  
mike2nl's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 535
Posts: 3,603
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Utrecht
Hi Matt and swiss,

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss420 View Post
PS: All my external HDD's are hooked up to the FreeNAS Server. My System boots and in general responds better. FreeNAS Emails or Alerts me if one of the HDD's is running into problems and Hotpluggeable to take with me is also no problem. I can only recomend this set up.
What i can say is, that i am using FreeNAS since it was up some years ago and it is a fast and secure system. I use it on a very small system with a 1TB HDD for backup's. And BTW, Unix is my best friend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss420 View Post
PS: By the way Matt_Williams and or KernSafe thank you so much for a Windows Mobile Client. I know the trend goes to Windows Phone and Android so your contribution is greatly appreciated. I am realy looking forward to trying it over 3G once it runs good over Wireless.
+1 for it and don't forget the wm user at all. This OS will run longer then HTC and/or Microsoft has thought about the lifetime of that devices. Or is everyone bying a new device every year?
Sensation XE: 光盤 6, PYDX & AIO latest
SGT 7 3G: CM 11, 4.4.2 storm31
HD2: 光盤 3.7, marc 0.2.3
Teams: CHTBeta, CHTArt, CD
Apps: 3D Photo Browser Mods
Android Test Links: USB Echo

Tags
initiator, iscsi, mobile initiator, mobile iscsi initiator, windows mobile
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes