5,606,722 Members 36,759 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Skype Video for Froyo (and GB)

Tip us?

droidrx
Old
(Last edited by droidrx; 8th August 2011 at 06:51 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261

DONATE TO ME
The changes in this build are:

• Software encoded 320x240 resolution. - values with “ENC320x240” in the resolution selection are converted to NV21 320x240 before Skype gets the data. It is basically the same as “Forced 320x240” without requiring hardware support.
  • “Single Resolution” checkbox. - when checked, Skype sees only one resolution. I’m not sure if this can make a difference on blank screen issue but I just added it. This is enabled only when a fixed resolution is selected.
  • Image rotation – for users with wrong camera orientation.
  • Image Scaling – how the camera image is scaled when ENC320x240 is used or when rotation is 90/270 degrees.
  • Image Flip – for users with flipped image.
  • Auto-detect NEON/VFP compatibility. On first run, the app tries to use the video library. When the app is killed while attempting to use the video library, the app knows it cannot use video call and the feature will be disabled.
  • For ease of editing the Tweaks dialog, I adapted the PreferenceActivity from theos0o. All the “Tweaks” settings from the old version will be discarded.
  • Broken down the audio fix like how theos0o did (“Force speaker off after call” and “Use MODE_IN_CALL”).
  • Added the “Keep Alive” too for voice calls.
  • Added support for Camera.open(“secondary”) used by some FROYO devices in opening FFC. If your FFC is not detected, you can go to “Tweaks” and tap on the “No FFC detected” to email me your FFC detection log. In addition, please send me also a copy of any app that can access the front camera (e.g. camera app supporting back and front) so I can check how the app uses the FFC.

Update 2011-08-02: Updated for FFCs in Dell Streak 5 and LG Revolution VS910.

For LG Optimus 3D users, I need the files from your /system/framework/ and the Camera app from /system/app/. You can email your download link at rxdroid@hotmail.com

Update 2011-08-11: Check the OP for the link on the newest build
Attached Files
File Type: zip com.skype.raider.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.89 MB, 8602 views)

Samsung Nexus S - CM7 Nightly 180
Dell Streak 5 - SimpleStreak 1.2
Viewsonic GTablet - GHarmony Gingerbread 2.7.2

Previous: Motorola Atrix 4G (MB860) - Bell Leaked 2.3.5 with %1 battery, "Reboot" mods

Skype Video for Froyo (and GB)
Yahoo Messenger FFC support for more devices
Vtok FFC support for more devices
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to droidrx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

barty22
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Dear droidrx, with all due respect, may I ask why theos0o and you are still both developing more or less the exact same thing?
Or is there a clear difference between the two projects that I am overlooking?

jackjohn
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidrx View Post
Sorry guys for having no update for a week. I was too busy with work projects and I had no time for updating this.

The changes in this build are:

1. Software encoded 320x240 resolution. - values with “ENC320x240” in the resolution selection are converted to NV21 320x240 before Skype gets the data. It is basically the same as “Forced 320x240” without requiring hardware support.
2. “Single Resolution” checkbox. - when checked, Skype sees only one resolution. I’m not sure if this can make a difference on blank screen issue but I just added it. This is enabled only when a fixed resolution is selected.
3. Image rotation – for users with wrong camera orientation.
4. Image Scaling – how the camera image is scaled when ENC320x240 is used or when rotation is 90/270 degrees.
5. Image Flip – for users with flipped image.
6. Auto-detect NEON/VFP compatibility. On first run, the app tries to use the video library. When the app is killed while attempting to use the video library, the app knows it cannot use video call and the feature will be disabled.
7. For ease of editing the Tweaks dialog, I adapted the PreferenceActivity from theos0o. All the “Tweaks” settings from the old version will be discarded.
8. Broken down the audio fix like how theos0o did (“Force speaker off after call” and “Use MODE_IN_CALL”).
9. Added the “Keep Alive” too for voice calls.
10. Added support for Camera.open(“secondary”) used by some FROYO devices in opening FFC. If your FFC is not detected, you can go to “Tweaks” and tap on the “No FFC detected” to email me your FFC detection log.

Again, all these video features I added are UNTESTED so I NEED FEEDBACKS and if you encounter FCs or errors using them, please take time to make a logcat.

Dear droidrx

Not managed to install the apk. " Application not installed".

droidrx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by barty22 View Post
Dear droidrx, with all due respect, may I ask why theos0o and you are still both developing more or less the exact same thing?
Or is there a clear difference between the two projects that I am overlooking?
theos0o's version is designed for Gingerbread and I'm trying to fill the gap for Froyo. Although we share some codes, we cannot combine them as I don't have a GB device and he doesn't have froyo to test if the code works for 2.2. Also, my atrix cannot use video calling due to the processor limitation and so I have to keep pushing updates for users to test. That was one of the reasons why I posted the sources I was working so others can add more to it. It should be easier for other devs with Froyo and NEON enabled processors to add features as they can check right away but unfortunately, of now only theos0o and I are working on it.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Previous: Motorola Atrix 4G (MB860) - Bell Leaked 2.3.5 with %1 battery, "Reboot" mods

droidrx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjohn View Post
Dear droidrx

Not managed to install the apk. " Application not installed".
If you have a previously installed skype, try to use titanium backup to clean it (as others are suggesting). Or try to unzip it on a PC first and then copy the apk to your device.

If still doesnt work and you have adb, you can use "adb install <name of apk>" to install it. it should tell what the problem is.

jackjohn
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
If you have a previously installed skype, try to use titanium backup to clean it (as others are suggesting). Or try to unzip it on a PC first and then copy the apk to your device.

If still doesnt work and you have adb, you can use "adb install <name of apk>" to install it. it should tell what the problem is.

Dear Droidrx,

Noted will try it out. Anyway from my previous testing i cant initiate a video call will always get skype.com.rider error and crash the skype. Iam using galaxy tab p1000.

Really need your assistance. Attach is the cat log.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2011-07-15-23-55-17skype.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.0 KB, 358 views)

GwynBleidd
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:

Again, all these video features I added are UNTESTED so I NEED FEEDBACKS and if you encounter FCs or errors using them, please take time to make a logcat.
Here's some feedback (SGS Froyo):

- Unfortunately, can't give you a logcat at this time, I simply don't see it (kernel related or something, not sure)

- New version force closes every time when it tries to display opponent's video - I can make a video call only if the opponent answers with voice only. All combinations (switch cameras, turn camera on/off, etc) work fine from my side as long as opponent's video is OFF. Once the app tries to display opponent's video, it immediately FCs.

- Rotation doesn't work (at all), either with front or with rear cameras. Simply doesn't have any effect on the image (both on my screen and on receiver's screen).

- Flip image works as it should

- Resolutions switch seems to work nice but all options with ENC show a bunch of moving green lines instead of the clear image.

Hope this helps.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 / Echoe V4 / MJ7
The Following User Says Thank You to GwynBleidd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidrx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261

DONATE TO ME
@GwynBleidd: Can you try the updated APK in post #251 above if you can at least receive video. I also saw a bug when the resolution is not set to a predefined value.

I will work on the green and rotate issue after work and I still need logs so if you can make one it can help me a lot.

GwynBleidd
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
@GwynBleidd: Can you try the updated APK in post #251 above if you can at least receive video. I also saw a bug when the resolution is not set to a predefined value.
Nope, still FC, exactly the same behaviour.

Can't really give you logcats because debug logging is turned off at kernel level :( And switching kernels just for logcat seems like too much, maybe I will later, not sure.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 / Echoe V4 / MJ7

droidrx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261

DONATE TO ME
That's ok, i'll try to look at my codes again tonight if I can't get a logcat.

For others experiencing the same problem, please send me your locats. It would be much easier to find out where the error is.