[Widget] Speedlauncher app launcher

Search This thread

osbapat

Jan 16, 2011
Hi There,

I am relatively new to XDA Dev forum, although a long time developer. We've got a vibrant community here so as a budding Android developer let me introduce myself with my first Android app!:) Speedlauncher app launcher widget !! Let me describe my app for your feedback.

Many of us install a ton of apps on our phone and have to constantly scroll up and down screens to find a specific game or app. Its pretty annoying at times. Speedlauncher is a different take on the launcher concept. Speedlauncher is an app launcher widget that launches any app by pressing a 1 or 2 digit shortcode. So for e.g. you might have shortcode 9 for Angry Birds, 18 for Facebook, 27 for Twitter and so on....

You need to add Speedlauncher on your homescreen from the widgets list to be able to use it. I'm giving the Android market link below as well as the QR code.http://market.android.com/details?id=com.bapatsoftware.android.SpeedLauncher
attachment.php

I have also attached few screenshots with this post.

Please give it a try and share your real feedback both negative and positive:) as that will help me in refining the app.

Thanks,
Omkar

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SLSCR1_Resize.jpg
    SLSCR1_Resize.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 3,076
  • SLSCR2_Resize.jpg
    SLSCR2_Resize.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 3,083
  • SLSCR3_Resize.jpg
    SLSCR3_Resize.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 3,057
  • http___market_android_co.png
    http___market_android_co.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 3,167

claus1953

Aug 15, 2008
I hav'nt tried the widget but my impression is that it might be a bit difficult to use, as you have to memorize the number of each application you want to launch.
What if instead you make an alphanumeric keyboard, where you can type in the first 2-3 letters of the name of an application and it starts listing all applications containing this letters in the name? From this pop up list you can then launch the one you want.

Reactions: Mano1982

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
I hav'nt tried the widget but my impression is that it might be a bit difficult to use, as you have to memorize the number of each application you want to launch.
What if instead you make an alphanumeric keyboard, where you can type in the first 2-3 letters of the name of an application and it starts listing all applications containing this letters in the name? From this pop up list you can then launch the one you want.

It is a nice suggestion but an app for that is already available (kinda works the same way as SmartDial, but to launch apps).

This concept is not bad at all. Yes, you need to memorize the speed dials, but if you have some contacts on speed dials it should flow rather well. I would be nice to be able to have a reminder of what is what.

Edit: nvm, just saw the "Edit" button :p

Last edited:

osbapat

Jan 16, 2011
Thanks to all of you for your valuable feedback! I will try to improve my app.

@egzthunder1, do you think a screen that displays only the app name and assigned shortcode, to quickly scan which shortcode is given for which app will be useful?

Thanks and Regards,
Omkar S. Bapat

nobooya

Feb 21, 2010
Well, I rather create folder with apps. But you could do something like t9 search (similar to t9 dialer)

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
Thanks to all of you for your valuable feedback! I will try to improve my app.

@egzthunder1, do you think a screen that displays only the app name and assigned shortcode, to quickly scan which shortcode is given for which app will be useful?

Thanks and Regards,
Omkar S. Bapat

I think it will help.... kinda like having a quick guide on regular land line phones....

GeitjeG

Nov 7, 2009
Rotterdam
I think a t9 launcher makes more sense and is much easier to use. Indeed, reminding all those shortcut codes is not convenient at all. As far as I know there is no t9 launcher for android, so +1 from me for making one :).
I also prefer an app over a widget...

imneo1

Mar 26, 2010
www.nexus-labs.info
i suggest you will use a t9 like suggestions :
lets say i configured number 10,11,12 as Email,Gmail,Phone

when i'l just press '1' ill see an icon of all 3 apps above as a suggestion.
i think your idea is great.

osbapat

Jan 16, 2011
Speedlauncher Version 1.0.5 released!

Thanks for your feedback. Based on the feedback received so far I have made 2 changes to the app:

1) Added a new screen for quick reference of shortcodes to apps. To access this screen tap on the SCode button on the widget

2) Changed the UI of the widget buttons

Regards,
Omkar

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SLSCR1.jpg
    SLSCR1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 162
  • SLSCR4.jpg
    SLSCR4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 158

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.