No registration required

[Widget] Speedlauncher app launcher

OP osbapat

17th July 2011, 06:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
Hi There,

I am relatively new to XDA Dev forum, although a long time developer. We've got a vibrant community here so as a budding Android developer let me introduce myself with my first Android app! Speedlauncher app launcher widget !! Let me describe my app for your feedback.

Many of us install a ton of apps on our phone and have to constantly scroll up and down screens to find a specific game or app. Its pretty annoying at times. Speedlauncher is a different take on the launcher concept. Speedlauncher is an app launcher widget that launches any app by pressing a 1 or 2 digit shortcode. So for e.g. you might have shortcode 9 for Angry Birds, 18 for Facebook, 27 for Twitter and so on....

You need to add Speedlauncher on your homescreen from the widgets list to be able to use it. I'm giving the Android market link below as well as the QR code.http://market.android.com/details?id....SpeedLauncher

I have also attached few screenshots with this post.

Please give it a try and share your real feedback both negative and positive as that will help me in refining the app.

Thanks,
Omkar

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLSCR1_Resize.jpg
Views:	3024
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	657508   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLSCR2_Resize.jpg
Views:	3021
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	657509   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLSCR3_Resize.jpg
Views:	3000
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	657510   Click image for larger version

Name:	http___market_android_co.png
Views:	3116
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	657511  
17th July 2011, 09:48 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 89

2,846 posts
More
I hav'nt tried the widget but my impression is that it might be a bit difficult to use, as you have to memorize the number of each application you want to launch.
What if instead you make an alphanumeric keyboard, where you can type in the first 2-3 letters of the name of an application and it starts listing all applications containing this letters in the name? From this pop up list you can then launch the one you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to claus1953 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th July 2011, 01:30 AM   |  #3  
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 126

1,015 posts
More
Very nice & useful app/widget osbapat But i think Claus is right, please think about it
18th July 2011, 03:44 AM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 52

312 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano1982

Very nice & useful app/widget osbapat But i think Claus is right, please think about it

Google search. Press search button, type app name, possible matches show up. Run app.
18th July 2011, 09:47 PM   |  #5  
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,192

18,707 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by claus1953

I hav'nt tried the widget but my impression is that it might be a bit difficult to use, as you have to memorize the number of each application you want to launch.
What if instead you make an alphanumeric keyboard, where you can type in the first 2-3 letters of the name of an application and it starts listing all applications containing this letters in the name? From this pop up list you can then launch the one you want.

It is a nice suggestion but an app for that is already available (kinda works the same way as SmartDial, but to launch apps).

This concept is not bad at all. Yes, you need to memorize the speed dials, but if you have some contacts on speed dials it should flow rather well. I would be nice to be able to have a reminder of what is what.

Edit: nvm, just saw the "Edit" button
Last edited by egzthunder1; 18th July 2011 at 09:49 PM.
19th July 2011, 07:45 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
Thanks to all of you for your valuable feedback! I will try to improve my app.

@egzthunder1, do you think a screen that displays only the app name and assigned shortcode, to quickly scan which shortcode is given for which app will be useful?

Thanks and Regards,
Omkar S. Bapat
19th July 2011, 10:01 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 31

215 posts
More
Well, I rather create folder with apps. But you could do something like t9 search (similar to t9 dialer)
19th July 2011, 10:34 PM   |  #8  
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,192

18,707 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbapat

Thanks to all of you for your valuable feedback! I will try to improve my app.

@egzthunder1, do you think a screen that displays only the app name and assigned shortcode, to quickly scan which shortcode is given for which app will be useful?

Thanks and Regards,
Omkar S. Bapat

I think it will help.... kinda like having a quick guide on regular land line phones....
19th July 2011, 10:36 PM   |  #9  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 6

210 posts
I think a t9 launcher makes more sense and is much easier to use. Indeed, reminding all those shortcut codes is not convenient at all. As far as I know there is no t9 launcher for android, so +1 from me for making one :).
I also prefer an app over a widget...
20th July 2011, 02:45 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 32

161 posts
Donate to Me
More
i suggest you will use a t9 like suggestions :
lets say i configured number 10,11,12 as Email,Gmail,Phone

when i'l just press '1' ill see an icon of all 3 apps above as a suggestion.
i think your idea is great.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app launcher, speedlauncher, widget
Previous Thread Next Thread