Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just unlocked my old Excalibur and about to start playing

Tip us?

Daeraxa
Old
(Last edited by Daeraxa; 30th July 2011 at 06:25 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Just unlocked my old Excalibur and about to start playing

Last October I finally upgraded from my old Excalibur to my new HTC Desire but recently found a need to have a secondary phone on hand with a different network provider.
I have the BT version of the Excalibur (the ToGo) and got it unlocked for free very easily and painlessly from BT (0800 6781030 from landline or 01324 456789 from mobile).
I know the device is quite old now but I've only really found out about all the custom stuff for it and just wanted to make sure what I am doing.

Plan is to put the WM 6.5 3VO ROM onto it but having explored the forums, FAQs and stickies there are a number of things I'm still confused about.

First thing is what exactly is the CID unlock (and why is the USPL better?) and is the USPL necessary to properly flash the new ROM (as it isn't mention in the 3VO installation instructions).
EDIT: I found a USPL folder inside the 3VO rar. Does the auto.bat file do it for you?
EDIT 2: Answered my own question - the batch file does have the instructions to first install the USPL before running the RUU...

Next is the installation of the T9 keyboard after the flash. This thread (does not explicitly mention 3VO but is about other 6.5 ROMs) mentions the need to update the keyboard. Is this necessary and if so does it need to be the US one or should I use the UK one listed in the stickied thread?

Lastly I understand that the 4th ROM on this list is the official ROM for my phone if it all goes wrong. The unbricking tutorial mentions that I would need to run the RomUpdateUtility.exe but the file comes simply as an .exe with the name HTC_S620_WWE_BT_3.66.424.1_4.1.13.44_02.94.90_Ship .exe. I assume that it is the same?
EDIT: Whoops. Might help if I actually opened the archive to find the RomUpdateUtility.exe sitting inside...

Other than that I hope to enjoy what this new ROM can bring over the horribly slow and nasty one that shipped on the device (when I didn't even know this place existed).

Any help much appreciated

Mr. Clown
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Fear the Clown
Thanks Meter 2290

DONATE TO ME
Welcome ,

There is a sticky to follow up and also the thread already opened for any discussion. Please post in one of them.

Enjoy your stay and happy flashing .

Devices:
Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300 - Stock Rom 4.2.2 (Stolen)
T-Mobile SGH-T999 - Stock Rom 4.3
HTC HD2 : Nexus HD2 JB 4.1.2 (RIP)