Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,721 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon 4g LTE Tab - Netflix Working

Tip us?

bmyton
Old
(Last edited by bmyton; 4th August 2011 at 10:02 PM.) Reason: Clarity
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Talking Verizon 4g LTE Tab - Netflix Working

First, nothing in this post is my own work. I just wanted to compile the information for everyone else who is surely wanting to know if the 4g LTE tab can run Netflix.

Step 1 - Root:

1. Download the file from THIS THREAD POST to your Tab10.1 (anywhere should work, I went with the /sdcard folder on my tab)

2. Power Down Tab

3. Power On and when you see the Samsung Text Hold Power + Volume UP (From This Post)

4. Select the Android+Box (Volume up to switch, then volume down to select)

5. Chose "apply update from /sdcard" and select the .zip file you downloaded in step 1 (When finished, the tab will automatically reboot).

6. Verify Root - You should see SuperUser in your apps when your tab finishes rebooting.

Step 2 - Asus Transformer Patch

1. Download the Transformer Patch from THIS THREAD

2. Install Patch - I chose to use Root Explorer to manually move the libnvomx.so file into my /system/lib folder, but you could also reboot into recovery and apply the .zip file that way instead (steps 2-5 above).

3. Reboot - If you manually move the .so file you will need to reboot, using the recovery it should reboot for you when finished.

4. Watch Movies

If anyone has trouble with this Please Do Not Email Me

I am really not a pro at troubleshooting, I was just willing to take a shot at rooting and found out that it worked. Hopefully this will ease other people's minds about getting root and netflix on your Verizon Tab 10.1

Also it is worth mentioning that I did all of this without using ODIN or KIES or ADB Shell or any of those other scary things. I chose not to try to install Rom Manager of Flash Clockwork Recovery as I had heard they may cause troubles.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bmyton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dfxdeimos
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I noticed that you mentioned using an SD Card multiple times in this post, but the 4G LTE version doesn't support SD Cards (doesn't even have the slot).

Why the discrepancy?

dukins
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxdeimos View Post
I noticed that you mentioned using an SD Card multiple times in this post, but the 4G LTE version doesn't support SD Cards (doesn't even have the slot).

Why the discrepancy?
He probably meant place it on the root of the drive of the tab. When you plug in your tab to your computer, you should be able to view your files there. Add the zip file to the root of that drive. Hope that makes sense.

bmyton
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxdeimos View Post

Why the discrepancy?
True. I was torn with how to describe the location and decided to use SD Card to be in line with the "\sdcard" which is still in use in the file system for the tab

I guess I've been explaining the root / recovery process on the OG Droid for so long that I still toss references to "root of the sd card" and "install zip from sd".

I'll edit the original post for clarity.

CSGirl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question (and thanks this is very helpful!). I'm going to do the same as you I think and stick with custom rom and no cwr. So if you need to unroot for warranty return or whatever, and we've only done the steps in this post, what do we have to do to unroot? Thanks!

cramjammer
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
This worked very well...it was almost too easy. Thank you for sharing the info.

wiibrewer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does it work on the wifi only model? P7510?

bmyton
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGirl View Post
Question (and thanks this is very helpful!). I'm going to do the same as you I think and stick with custom rom and no cwr. So if you need to unroot for warranty return or whatever, and we've only done the steps in this post, what do we have to do to unroot? Thanks!
Not 100% sure CSGirl... in my experience, the person making the determination about warranty approvals would be the in-store rep. In that case you should be fine by just using root explorer and deleting the SuperUser app. The permissions would still be there I suppose, but the store guy wouldn't see the telltale app.

Someone else could probably give a better answer.

If you open up the .zip file for rooting and go into \meta-inf\com\google\android and open the updater-script file you can see everything that is getting changed, I guess you would just have to change that back.

Also, @wiibrewer, I have no idea

wiibrewer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well how about is there any reason it should not work on the wifi model?

bmyton
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiibrewer View Post
Well how about is there any reason it should not work on the wifi model?
None that I can think of...

I know that Droid-Life posted this file for the special edition wifi tab: Search "Galaxy Tab 10.1 Rooted" post from May 2011

You might try that too.

Tags
10.1, netflix, root, verizon