5,604,686 Members 36,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[CM7][OMFGB]Software GPS Fix | V1.5.1 - 9/25/11 | Keep the (GPS) lights on!

Tip us?

OPTheory
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattack View Post
This works but great the first day but
GPS seems to not even lock in the next day.
YES! This happens to me too. It works *excellent* the first time you put it on when you test it out, but then when it comes time when you need to navigate somewhere you're just stuck waiting for a lock and it's hit or miss.

Either way, thanks OP for the software fix. Very convenient!

jad3675
Old
(Last edited by jad3675; 4th August 2011 at 11:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyrude27 View Post
tell me about it. i put the damn thing together and i'm in the same boat. It's really hit or miss for me.
Try removing /system/bin/agpsd. I never placed it when I did the manual GPS fix and I never had issues. Flashed 71 yesterday and your zip and had your issues. Removed agpsd and the problem went away.

Do you have a /data/gps/lto.dat?

John

strictlyrude27
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675 View Post
Try removing /system/bin/agpsd. I never placed it when I did the manual GPS fix and I never had issues. Flashed 71 yesterday and your zip and had your issues. Removed agpsd and the problem went away.

Do you have a /data/gps/lto.dat?

John
I'll try no agpsd and see how that goes.

I don't have the file you reference. What is it, and could you please PM me with a link to download?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

jad3675
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
I'll try no agpsd and see how that goes.

I don't have the file you reference. What is it, and could you please PM me with a link to download?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
LTO.dat is Long Term Orbit Data. As far as I can tell, the CM7 on the vibrant doesn't do AGPS.

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/tb/LTO-TB100-R.pdf

I've attached a shell script that will download the lto data.

I had merged this into gerrit for CM7 (Nightly 62), but I don't think it got merged properly.

John
Attached Files
File Type: zip get-gps-lto.zip - [Click for QR Code] (412 Bytes, 100 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jad3675 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

elsocplayer
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Sorry no Thank you button on XDA app, I will try it out an report a lil later on. Thanks for your work with this.

Sent from SGS Vibrant w/CM7

strictlyrude27
Old
(Last edited by strictlyrude27; 4th August 2011 at 06:20 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675 View Post
LTO.dat is Long Term Orbit Data. As far as I can tell, the CM7 on the vibrant doesn't do AGPS.

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/tb/LTO-TB100-R.pdf

I've attached a shell script that will download the lto data.

I had merged this into gerrit for CM7 (Nightly 62), but I don't think it got merged properly.

John
Awesome, thanks. I'll implement your script as a startup script in both fixes. I'm just testing it now. I might change the timeout time to 10 minutes, since the script will execute on boot and if the user wiped dalvik it'll take forever before the script can get DNS.

jad3675
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Awesome, thanks. I'll implement your script as a startup script in both fixes. I'm just testing it now. I might change the timeout time to 10 minutes, since the script will execute on boot and if the user wiped dalvik it'll take forever before the script can get DHCP.
It was originally made as a service that would run when Wifi or GPS was turned on. It was merged in #62; either someone took it out, or my submit didn't generate the init.aries.rc properly. If you can get it working as a update.zip, that's be great.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to jad3675 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

strictlyrude27
Old
(Last edited by strictlyrude27; 4th August 2011 at 07:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Dear all -

CWM flashable updated to V1.3. Based on discussion above, I've removed agpsd and added a script that downloads long term orbital data on boot. No-gpsd and script variants are also available. Please let me know of your results! Personally, I'm fairly hit or miss, but so far a lot of others are pretty happy with all the fixes thus far.

For some reason, my updater-script didn't always like deleting /system/bin/agpsd - if you flash V1.3-CWM and find that the file still exists, please let me know - then delete it and reboot. Thanks!

EDIT: Had to reupload the script version, forgot to create the GPSFix folder before putting all the files into the zip - please redownload and re-execute if you are using the script.
The Following User Says Thank You to strictlyrude27 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

strictlyrude27
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Last update of the day (hopefully week, maybe even ever if everything works out!), I swear!

Updated to 1.3.1. I wasn't getting any results with the new Long Term Orbit file fix; I changed permissions of /data/gps/lto.dat from 0644 to 0755 and I got looks and locks fairly quickly.

You do NOT need to flash 1.3.1 if you've already flashed 1.3. In fact, 1.3 might be working fine for you. But if it's not, try the following commands at a terminal:

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
sed -i 's/664/755/g' /etc/init.d/90getgps_lto
chmod 0755 /data/gps/lto.dat
mount -o ro,remount /system
reboot
This will change permissions on lto.dat to read/write/execute, and set the boot script to do the same when it downloads new files.

bellrb19
Old
(Last edited by bellrb19; 4th August 2011 at 08:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Just installed 1.3 and getting 0 in view with gps test and no lock. An hour after installing it gps would not show up as actively searching in notification even after toggling setting in menu and checking permissions (which appear correctly). I am on glitch, so will flash latest nightly and try with stock kernel and gpsd.

I also performed the instructions in original thread and had occasional locks. Thanks for this, progress is made every day with gps. Will report back after update.

EDIT: After doing the LTO fix mentioned above I got a gps lock in 15 seconds in maps. GPS test shows 12 birds in view with 7 locked. Accuracy fluctuates between 30-70 feet. Best I have seen on Gingerbread yet! Will see if it can actually track a trip in mytracks. Awesome!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Premium App