Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,614 Members 40,621 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] LTE +Netflix+USB = Fail?

Tip us?
 
pissinguoff247
Old
#1  
pissinguoff247's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 218
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Unhappy [Q] LTE +Netflix+USB = Fail?

My charge is running stock Froyo with the latest version of Netflix and the rotation patch applied.

In my office here, I get LTE, so I enabled it, fire up Netflix, and connect with my USB cable (The cable is Samsung, leftover from my Epic) to my computer to keep it charged.

The battery still drains, and eventually it even overheated (said charging was paused because of battery temperature).

Anyone else experience anything similar? Any suggestions on how to fix?
 
blarrick
Old
#2  
blarrick's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 67
Posts: 590
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Hollywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by pissinguoff247 View Post
My charge is running stock Froyo with the latest version of Netflix and the rotation patch applied.

In my office here, I get LTE, so I enabled it, fire up Netflix, and connect with my USB cable (The cable is Samsung, leftover from my Epic) to my computer to keep it charged.

The battery still drains, and eventually it even overheated (said charging was paused because of battery temperature).

Anyone else experience anything similar? Any suggestions on how to fix?
First off, the Charge has a specific cable with a special connector pin that helps with flashing(among other things) and that might be your problem. Second, USB charging is much slower then direct wall socket charging, and third Netflix is a battery devouring MONSTER. I think one episode of Prison Break(42mins) drained about 10-20% battery. You can't out-charge Netflix with a USB charge, as for the overheating there's nothing you can do on stock, if you flash the PBJ OTB kernel you can underclock/volt to keep your battery cool, it still got slightly warm during netflix but everything else felt air conditioned. Sorry if I sound like an asshole, just read my post and I sounded like I was trying to prove a point lol. Just trying to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to blarrick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pissinguoff247
Old
#3  
pissinguoff247's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 218
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarrick View Post
First off, the Charge has a specific cable with a special connector pin that helps with flashing(among other things) and that might be your problem. Second, USB charging is much slower then direct wall socket charging, and third Netflix is a battery devouring MONSTER. I think one episode of Prison Break(42mins) drained about 10-20% battery. You can't out-charge Netflix with a USB charge, as for the overheating there's nothing you can do on stock, if you flash the PBJ OTB kernel you can underclock/volt to keep your battery cool, it still got slightly warm during netflix but everything else felt air conditioned. Sorry if I sound like an asshole, just read my post and I sounded like I was trying to prove a point lol. Just trying to help.
It's cool. I figured the Epic USB cable would work since it's an SGS phone, and I've used it to flash ROMs to that phone - and I definitely don't feel like shelling out to samsung for more special magical heavy duty usb cables. Maybe a powered USB hub would help. It seems it's heating up quite a bit just using Pandora, too. I'm wondering if it's a combination of volts/amps/whatever that it's trying to suck from the USB port, and maybe also my otterbox not allowing the heat to dissipate off of the back.
 
hazard209
Old
#4  
hazard209's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 126
Posts: 689
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pissinguoff247 View Post
It's cool. I figured the Epic USB cable would work since it's an SGS phone, and I've used it to flash ROMs to that phone - and I definitely don't feel like shelling out to samsung for more special magical heavy duty usb cables. Maybe a powered USB hub would help. It seems it's heating up quite a bit just using Pandora, too. I'm wondering if it's a combination of volts/amps/whatever that it's trying to suck from the USB port, and maybe also my otterbox not allowing the heat to dissipate off of the back.
The otterbox will definitely hold in some heat. As for the powered usb hub, that won't do anything unfortunately. The max amount of power coming from a usb port is 500 mA and a wall charger (at least the one specified for the charge) shells out 1000 mA.
 
bkhorn
Old
#5  
bkhorn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 85
Posts: 459
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Easton, PA
I did find a 12 adapter that puts out 1A. Not that has to do with anything on this topic.

OK, I am going back to work.
Current Phone: HTC Rezound S-OFF & Samsung Galaxy S4 (rooted)
ROM: [Unofficial] CM10.1 [JB-4.2.2] for HTC Rezound, XenonHD, ☣infection 2.7☣ or whatever I decide to try
Check out MediaFire to get up to 50GB of free online space! http://mfi.re/?4e0ivsw
Tags
lte, netflix, overheat
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes