I have made a new Qtopia image, It's not more stable than previoues, but it has sound support now.
Unfortantly i can not inlcude helix player, because of license rules. If you want Helix included you have to build it yourself. The phone now alerts on incomming call and sms.
But the huge news is that it has never been easier to install linux on your HTC Universal. Now you wouldnt need any linux computer or a ramdisk image to test linux.
A guy at irc (Kevin2) has created a script that installs linux to a vfat partition. So all you have to do now is to hit the Qtopia-Linux-htcuniversal.exe file and the image will install it self on the SD card.
But you will need at least 128MB free space on your card. Sometimes that isent enough either, i am having 200MB free space on my cards.
When you hit the file it will create a 100MB image file on your card. Linux will install in to this image. If you dont want linux on your universal anymore you can just delete the file. But if you want to have it just hit the Qtopia-Linux-htcuniversal.exe file again and linux will now boot from the image file. The *.tar.bz2 can be deleted after first boot.
So how to do this:
Grab both of the files from here: http://www.linuxtogo.org/~htcpxa/htc.../Qtopia-4.3.1/
1) Place them on the root of your SD card (not inside any folder, it will break).
2) Hit Qtopia-Linux-htcuniversal.exe
3) Linux will start and it will install as explained above. Just so you know,it will take some of time to install, at least 5 min, maybe more, it depends on the speed of your sd card.
4) Next Angstrom boot logo will appear linux is now installed and it runs from the angstrom image and not the installer anymore.
5) Qtopia will start and screen might be a little funny, maybe flash a little (it's normal).
6) Qtopia Linux is running, have fun. The phone might be a liitle unstable, but we are working on it.
If you dont want to run linux anymore just held the power button for a few sec and a shutdown menu will appear.
To shut down linux, just hit RESTART DEVICE
and wince will boot.
If the phone doesnt work first time and the screen get locked, just held the powerbutton for a few sec and and choose "Restart Qtopia". Somtimes it hels to get phone working.
If you somehow ended up in the shell just write username root
hit enter. To shutdown linux write:
Or if you want to start Qtopia again from the shell run:
If you want to test linux again from wince just hit the Qtopia-Linux-htcuniversal.exe file and it will boot, but now it will boot alot faster since the image is installed and the linux distribution is finalized.
Remember, if you are having wifi enabled when booting linux then your touchscreen wouldnt work in linux. So be sure to have wifi disabled when booting linux.
Good luck, have fun...
As allways, you do this at your own risc. It might break your device, it has never happend, but you never know. We do this just for fun, and we dont see the point of not shairing this.