Add Hebrew Support to Samsung Galaxy [MOD]

Search This thread

TechSlave

Sep 17, 2010
Sent sms in Hebrew are garbled

Hello!

I've followed the instructions and now I can read Hebrew text on Samsung Galaxy S.
However, when i send SMS in Hebrew (Using the AnySoftKeyboard), the SMS is received as gibberish on the other phone.
Is there any solution to the problem?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I followed the guide and it works flawlessly - Thank you !

Although I can see, read and write in Hebrew, there are still 2 issues that I am not able to solve:

1) Email subject in Hebrew (when viewed) come up in reverse order.
2) Audio files tagged in Hebrew are presented in gibberish. (In the player)

Anyone else witnessed these issues ? and more importantly, has anyone found a solution for it ?

Thanks !

TechSlave

Sep 17, 2010
Hello!

I've followed the instructions and now I can read Hebrew text on Samsung Galaxy S.
However, when i send SMS in Hebrew (Using the AnySoftKeyboard), the SMS is received as gibberish on the other phone.
Is there any solution to the problem?

Thanks a lot!

NISIM2337

Sep 8, 2009
אני מבין שכולם פה מבינים עברית אחרת הם לא היו נכנסים לכאן.
בגלל שהאנגלית שלי לא ממש טובה אני כותב בעברית.

הבעיות שאתם מזכירים כאן:
1) email subject in hebrew (when viewed) come up in reverse order.
2) audio files tagged in hebrew are presented in gibberish. (in the player)
יש להם פתרון כנסו לאתר
iandroid.co.il
יש שם פתרונות לכל בעיות העברית כולל תיקוני
rtl ועוד.
(יש גם פה בעיה עם rtl)
מי שצריך עזרה בנושא יכול לפנות אליי.

NISIM2337

Sep 8, 2009
can you use rom manager using clockworkmod recovery with this mod?
yes
There is also an application in the market called "israelpack" which will install Hebrew fonts in a rooted phone. You don't need to flash the rom at all.
yes but the israelpack not perfect.
There are places that Hebrew from israelpack will be displays differently.

in My method is different fonts. And better.

גמר חתימה טובה.
וצום קל. ;)

Last edited:

penedo

Sep 21, 2010
cat /sdcard/DroidSans-Bold.ttf > /system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf
cat /sdcard/DroidSansMono.ttf > /system/fonts/DroidSansMono.ttf
cat /sdcard/DroidSans.ttf > /system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf
cat /sdcard/DroidSerif-Bold.ttf > /system/fonts/DroidSerif-Bold.ttf
cat /sdcard/DroidSerif-Regular.ttf > /system/fonts/DroidSerif-Regular.ttf
cat /sdcard/DroidSansFallback.ttf > /system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf
Thanks, it worked for me.

Just one thing which could save lots of typing - you can use a shell loop to do all the copying:
Code:
cd /sdcard
for i in Droid*.ttf; do cat $i > /system/fonts/$i; done

00sivan

Aug 3, 2010
אני מבין שכולם פה מבינים עברית אחרת הם לא היו נכנסים לכאן.
בגלל שהאנגלית שלי לא ממש טובה אני כותב בעברית.

הבעיות שאתם מזכירים כאן:

יש להם פתרון כנסו לאתר
iandroid.co.il
יש שם פתרונות לכל בעיות העברית כולל תיקוני
rtl ועוד.
(יש גם פה בעיה עם rtl)
מי שצריך עזרה בנושא יכול לפנות אליי.

I tried the fix from there but it didn't work. It requires a deodex ROM, which is fine I flashed Bionix 1.3. But when trying to apply the script from that site it just froze on the vibrant screen at boot. I had to odin back to JI2.

Which ROM did you get this to work on?

drakenabarion

Dec 13, 2010
Kildare
OnePlus Nord 2T
Nothing Phone 2
Hey all,
I just want to say thanks to all for, not only this topic, but for a great and supportive community. It is my first time to post and, because of the answers to previous people's questions, I have been able to update my firmware from a failed install which I would have otherwise have had no other option but to beg Samsung to fix my phone.

Ok so for my noob question :) I have a Samaung Galaxy S and I installed the Hebrew fonts just fine and they work on the system, etc.

However, whenever I send an sms on the phone's internal message creater, the received text message is a series of question marks. I have to use Handcent SMS to send the correctly but I much prefer not to need to use a 3rd party software for something as basic as sms.

Many thanks for the response!

IDtheTarget

Jun 21, 2010
The problem is that Android doesn't support Hebrew or other right-to-left languages natively. Gingerbread, the version of Android that comes after Froyo, is supposed to handle Hebrew, Arabic and Persian natively. However, considering that the Galaxy S still hasn't seen an official Froyo, Gingerbread may be awhile.

Best Buy starts selling the Samsung Nexus S starting on Thursday, and it has native Gingerbread. It's basically a Galaxy S, without the external microSD card, but with native Android. It's also the new Google reference phone, which means that it should be the first phone to get every new version of Android from now on. And because it's native, instead of having Samsung's TouchWiz overlay, it should get it immediately instead of waiting for months.

If you really want Hebrew, and quickly, you and the people with whom you text should probably consider the Nexus S. Of course, right now in the U.S. it's only available on T-Mobile...

Reactions: drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Dec 13, 2010
Kildare
OnePlus Nord 2T
Nothing Phone 2
Thanks for the reply. Ah that's a pity. I hope there will be an update with the added languages for Galaxy S.

BTW, my phone had the Froyo from the box. It was originally installed with the I9000XXJPP (JPP/JPA/JP7) firmware. The system was already capable of viewing Hebrew in the gmail app, but I though that the method used in this post would also allow proper sms sending. However, trying to root that firmware made it very unstable so I had to reflash. In the end, after several versions, I flashed to I9000XXJPU.

Just for anyone who needs to send text in Hebrew (Or almost another language), I am using Handcent SMS and AnySoftKeyboard with Hebrew pack. Handcent SMS doesn't have a very good contacts list (cant skip to letters) but messages are received correctly in any of the languages.

IDtheTarget

Jun 21, 2010
Update: I finally found a good way to handle Right-to-Left languages (or at least Persian, but it should apply to others as well):

Install CyanogenMod 7.

I've installed the latest release candidate (CyanogenMod 7.10RC1) on both my Nexus S and my Nook Color, and they both handle Persian flawlessly. I have to assume that they'd handle Hebrew as well, though I haven't tested it.

Good luck!

P.S. I'm also using the Multiling keyboard. I was an ardent fan of Swiftkey, and I still like it better in some ways, but the Multiling keyboard does a great job of handling multiple languages and making it easy to switch between them.

Last edited:

celltestr

Oct 9, 2009
There is a fix for the RTL issues in other ROM's as well (from > 2.1) posted in iandroid forum. No longer an issue. CM implemented the same fix in their Rom's.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The problem is that Android doesn't support Hebrew or other right-to-left languages natively. Gingerbread, the version of Android that comes after Froyo, is supposed to handle Hebrew, Arabic and Persian natively. However, considering that the Galaxy S still hasn't seen an official Froyo, Gingerbread may be awhile.

Best Buy starts selling the Samsung Nexus S starting on Thursday, and it has native Gingerbread. It's basically a Galaxy S, without the external microSD card, but with native Android. It's also the new Google reference phone, which means that it should be the first phone to get every new version of Android from now on. And because it's native, instead of having Samsung's TouchWiz overlay, it should get it immediately instead of waiting for months.

If you really want Hebrew, and quickly, you and the people with whom you text should probably consider the Nexus S. Of course, right now in the U.S. it's only available on T-Mobile...