View Poll Results: I have a problem with touchscreen
Yes 447 66.52%
No 225 33.48%
Voters: 672. You may not vote on this poll

[LINK TO FIX][UPD 29AUG]Touchscreen Not Responsive

Tip us?

abrown0809
Old
(Last edited by abrown0809; 23rd August 2011 at 02:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Default The metal contact might be it...

I noticed if you touch the silver metal contact with your finger as you have the back cover off, the performance of the touchscreen increases. This is what I am talking about.

Here is what I believe to be the problem, correct me if I am wrong. That metal contact is meant to ground the phone and it is not working properly or maybe since most of us use rubber or plastic cases, we block that from happening. Since the static has no where to go it just builds up on the phone, and in turn messing up our touch commands. Capacitive touch screens work because our body is a conductor. The screen is coated with a transparent conductor, so it makes sense that static would mess things up. I forgot who but someone said earlier that they charged the phone on a metallic surface and the problem went away, charged it on wood and the problem came back. I study electrical engineering, but I am still a student and I could be wrong but its a start.....right
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abrown0809 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nugzo
Old
Thanks Meter 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown0809 View Post
I noticed if you touch the silver metal contact with your finger as you have the back cover off, the performance of the touchscreen increases. This is what I am talking about.

Here is what I believe to be the problem, correct me if I am wrong. That metal contact is meant to ground the phone and it is not working properly or maybe since most of us use rubber or plastic cases, we block that from happening. Since the static has no where to go it just builds up on the phone, and in turn messing up our touch commands. Capacitive touch screens work because our body is a conductor. The screen is coated with a transparent conductor, so it makes sense that static would mess things up. I forgot who but someone said earlier that they charged the phone on a metallic surface and the problem went away, charged it on wood and the problem came back. I study electrical engineering, but I am still a student and I could be wrong but its a start.....right
Is this what you are talking about?

aliensmille76
Old
Thanks Meter 0
tested it yesterday,worked also for me:)
Removed the cover played for two minutes and it worked like new.

Great, thanks

That's a faster metode than with the safe mode.
But now i don't understand why the safe mode also work.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

exb0
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Touchscreen issue was a software problem for me. After a wipe it was okay

Sent from my own custom Rom for sensation. 200mb free :3
Current Devices :
LG Nexus 5
LG Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Sony W810

Ex Devices :
HTC Dream - SOLD
HTC HD2 - Water Damaged :'(
LG Nexus 4 - Stolen </3
HTC Sensation - Retired
Nexus One - Retired
ZTE V9 - Retired

My Google Plus
My Website
Transparent StatusBar Mod Thanks to ZduneX25
Register for Dropbox here

aliensmille76
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It will come back:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

misiek_to_ja
Old
(Last edited by misiek_to_ja; 23rd August 2011 at 12:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown0809 View Post
EDIT: I just played with it for about a minute without the back cover on, I have to say this is the first time I have seen the carousel in weeks. Lockscreen works with the lightest touch now. I hope this fix lasts. I put the cover back on and the effects are still there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensmille76 View Post
tested it yesterday,worked also for me:)
Removed the cover played for two minutes and it worked like new.
Hi guys,

Good to hear that it also works for you ! So we have 4 confirmed cases ! You can thanks my daughter, because if I would not be with her on the playground, let be honest - little bored, I would not discover this I think it is definitely related to static electricity, as abrown0809 wrote: "Since the static has no where to go it just builds up on the phone, and in turn messing up our touch commands". By putting the phone in our palm we let it go to our body and then to the ground. It might be related to some silver metal contact, but I think the static could gather on different parts as well and by touching the whole phone you can let all the static electricity go to hell. In my case it is totally repeatable, I did several more tests and I think the time required to play with the touchscreen without the back cover is related to the amount of static electricity you have in your phone. Sometimes it is 5 seconds and sometimes I need to play with it for 2 minutes. But anyway it brings my touchscreen back to normal.

And guys - please remember that people mixed several different reasons in this thread for touchscreen problems. Sometimes it is because of the software (restarting the phone, performing hard reset, loading new ROM helps), but most of us experience the second problem - more hardware related.

marine1312
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Had the same problem with sensation got a replacement bad screen they said

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

misiek_to_ja
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine1312 View Post
Had the same problem with sensation got a replacement bad screen they said
I don't want to make you sad, but read the entire thread - some people did 3-4 replacements and had the same problem after some time. It seems that HTC didn't find fix for this yet and all phones are vulnerable after some time.

veper
Old
Thanks Meter 6
So basically the proper solution is for HTC to produce new, modified back cover that will deal with static?

Sent from my HTC Sensation
Current phone: Galaxy Nexus & Nexus S

Pro Gamer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I bought this phone a month ago and I don't have any problem with touchscreen.
Mine is India branded and production date is : 5/26/2011

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App