Hardware difference: XT862 vs XT860 vs XT883

Search This thread

deoxy

Jul 29, 2011
There are different versions of the Droid 3: XT862 (USA), XT860 (Canada), XT860 (Brazil), XT883 (China).
I'm wondering whether there are any differences in the hardware between these version, especially now that the Droid 3 has been rooted.

When looking the official Motorola specs, I find:
1) XT862 has HSDPA 10.2 Mbps in the consumer specs, but HSDPA 14.4 Mbps in the developer specs. Both are HSDPA category 9/10. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Downlink_Packet_Access, category 9 has a approximated max rate of 10.1 Mbps and category 10 has 14.0. So maybe Motorola took the value of category 9 instead of 10 when typing the consumer specs, while they should have listed the higher rate of category 10?
2) The Brazilian XT860 has HSUPA 7.6Mbps, while the Canadian XT860 and the XT862 have HSUPA 5.76 Mbps. But because the Brazilian and Canadian are both are XT860, I would expect this rate to be the same, instead of being different.
3) The XT860 doesn't have CDMA 800/1900 and CDMA EV-DO Release A, while the XT862 and XT883 do.
4) The XT862 and XT883 appear to be the same, although I haven't looked in the consumer specs of the XT883 (because it's in Chinese).

Rationaly, when a characteristic of device isn't listed in a specification, you cannot conclude that the device doesn't have that characteristic. The specification might simply be incomplete, but still be correct. But when a characteristic isn't listed for which you would expect it to be listed when would have that characteristic, then the specification suggest (but not conclude) that the device doesn't have that characteristic.

So rationaly, the XT860 might (or might not) have CDMA support, and the Canadian XT860 and the US XT862 might have the same higher HSUPA speed as the Brazilian XT860. And, according to the specs, the XT862 does support 14.4 Mbps HSDPA, although with doubt because the consumer specs list a lower value.

So based on the official specs it is difficult to derive the real maximum speed specs and all features

The best thing would be if someone physically opened all Droid 3 versions, and list the hardware chips. Like this:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-3-Teardown/6108/1

Which says the XT862 has the following hardware chips:
-Qualcomm MDM6600 supporting HSPA+ speeds of up to 14.4 Mbps
-SanDisk SDIN4C2 16GB MLC NAND flash
-Elpida B4064B2PB-8D-F 512MB RAM and TI OMAP 4430 CPU
-Triquint TQM7M5013 Linear Power Amplifier
-Avago A2F1106
-A5005 K1116, A5002 K1118, A5001 K1118
-Kionix KXTF9 11425 1411 three-axis accelerometer
-The Qualcomm PM8028 chip works in conjunction with the Qualcomm MDM6600 to provide wireless data connection to the phone.
-Hynix H8BCS0QG0MMR memory MCP containing Hynix DRAM and STM flash
-ST Ericsson CPCAP 006556001
-WL1285C 13M1HH3
-6792A 1113 T3971

I expect that the XT883 has the same hardware. But the more interesting question is whether the XT860 also has this hardware.

From this list, when it comes to mobile networks, the most important part is probably the Qualcomm MDM6600 and maybe also the Qualcomm PM8028.
The specs of the MDM6600 can be found in http://www.docin.com/p-162606115.html . If I understand it correctly, it supports both CDMA and GSM networks.

But even if a mobile device has a MDM6600 in it, which by itself supports CDMA, it doesn't mean that the mobile device supports CDMA. This is the case for the IPhone 4, which comes in a GSM/AT&T version and a CDMA/Verizon version:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Verizon-Teardown/4693/1
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

Interesting is the following quote for the CDMA/Verizon IPhone 4:
The Qualcomm MDM6600 chip supports HSPA+ data rates of up to 14.4 Mbps and CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B.
This is the same chipset as the Droid Pro world phone. It supports both GSM and CDMA—which means that Apple could have supported GSM!
Why didn't they? It may be that it was easier to design antennas for a CDMA-only phone -- this phone supports two cellular frequency bands, while Apple supports five bands in the GSM version.
So even when a phone has a chip that support CDMA, other parts of the phone might not (because of design reasons), causing the phone not to support CDMA.

But why would Motorola first release XT862 that supports both GSM and CDMA, and later release the XT860 with CDMA stripped off? I would expect that they would do this only if stripping CDMA from the XT860 would benefit some other feature. Any ideas?

Some info as reference for the different Droid 3 versions:
1)
-Name: Motorola Droid 3
-Code: XT862
-Sold by: Verizon Wireless
-Release date: 14 July 2011
-Motorola Consumer specs link
-Motorola Developer specs link

2)
-Name: Motorola XT860
-Code: XT860
-Sold by: Bell
-Release date: 9 August 2011
-Notes: Called "XT860 4G" at the Motorola and Bell website, but the manual and box just says "XT860" without "4G" in the name.

3)
-Name: Motorola MOTO XT883
-Code: XT883
-Release date: ~1-11 August 2011
-Note: Called "Milestone 3 XT883" at the Motorola Developer spec page.

4)
-Name: Motorola Milestone 3
-Sold by: Vivo
-Release date: ~18 August 2011
-Note: Sometimes called "Motorola Milestone 3 com Motoblur"

Last edited:

Sadrak86

Mar 20, 2011
Lexington
Speaking with a bit of experience with manufacturing, there isn't a lot of sense in making too many models, because the price savings based upon leaving out an antenna on one model would easily disappear in the context of devoting another production line to another model.
So, I have the strong impression that they are all cdma/gsm capable, though differences in firmware probably define the active radios.

This is a guess, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
For us Europeans this is an interesting question, because if the XT860 and XT862 have the same hardware, there is no reason to get the XT860 other than it doesn't have the verizon logo (now that we have root).

The XT862 can already be ordered in unlocked state while the XT860 cannot.

I also would think that creating just 1 phone is way more convenient and way cheaper for motorola, so I'm curious as to whether all "droid 3's" are the identical.

sarreq

Aug 31, 2010
CDMA only works in america, and a couple other small countries, and only on a couple carriers, so support for it ONLY makes sense in the XT862. the rest of that world went GSM and it's various 3g offshoots. the differences between the 860 & 883 are to support what those countries run on.

deoxy

Jul 29, 2011
CDMA only works in america, and a couple other small countries, and only on a couple carriers, so support for it ONLY makes sense in the XT862. the rest of that world went GSM and it's various 3g offshoots. the differences between the 860 & 883 are to support what those countries run on.
But, like Sadrak86 said, from a manufacturing cost point of view, it doesn't make sense to simply remove CDMA support because it isn't used in another country. Why would Motorola release a global phone (Droid3/XT862) and then a month later release the same phone but this time non-global phone (XT860) by removing CDMA support. There must be a better reason.

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
I can understand them making specific versions of specific regions, but not with different hardware components if they could just disable them software-wise.

deoxy

Jul 29, 2011
I can understand them making specific versions of specific regions, but not with different hardware components if they could just disable them software-wise.
I also think that if they can control it software wise without extra costs compared to hardware wise, they will choose software wise. But if the XT860 has CDMA removed software wise, than why didn't they remove GSM from the XT862.

This brings back the question: why would they first release a global phone (XT862), and later release the same phone (XT860) with less features and a higher price.

A reason could be that by removed hardware features (CDMA) from the XT860, other features (GSM) might perform better.

Found this page called Motorola XT860 4G Fact Sheet, but is more press release page. But it confirms that the XT860 has a QualComm MDM6600 (which supports both GSM and CDMA). The XT860 contains a GSM compatible antenna, but the question than is: does the XT860 also contain a CDMA compatible antenna?

This question is very interesting for all non-Americans. Because the following choice depends on it:
-Should you buy the cheaper, more widely available, and more network supporting global XT862? or
-Should you buy the more expensive, less widely available, less network support, but (possibly) better GSM signaled XT860?

At the moment we don't even know whether this option/choice exist. If this option doesn't exist, then there is NO reason at all to buy the XT860.

This (whether the XT860 has a CDMA antenna) is something that can only be proven by a teardown (physically open a XT860). I hope some guys will create an iFixit page for it.

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
There are plenty of reasons if you are GSM user. Verizon altered/disabled some GSM features of the phone like call forwarding settings for example. Droid 3 is certified/supported only with the Verizon SIM in it. There are already reported cases phone doesn't play nice on certain GSM networks across the world. Not to mention unlocking issues which were a wide spread issue with Droid 2 Global and there seem to be already one such case with D3 on this very same board. You can't use D3 on AT&T in the States either.
All those problems are easily overcome by going XT860 (pure GSM phone). Since I had to experience most of these above mentioned issues myself with my own Droid 2 Global in the past year, I went XT860 over D3. And I do not regret my choice. I do not use the phone on Bell (I unlocked and use with another operator in Canada), but I have no issues. I can go to the States and use the phone there just fine too.
So there are enough reasons to justify few bucks more when buying the phone.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deoxy

Jul 29, 2011
There are plenty of reasons if you are GSM user. Verizon altered/disabled some GSM features of the phone like call forwarding settings for example. Droid 3 is certified/supported only with the Verizon SIM in it.
Can this be fixed by rooting the phone? If not, then the hardware must be different.
There are already reported cases phone doesn't play nice on certain GSM networks across the world.
Maybe the user forgot to unlock the phone, or did it incorrectly?

Here a case:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/56763
(Don't know if he unlocked the phone.)

Not to mention unlocking issues which were a wide spread issue with Droid 2 Global and there seem to be already one such case with D3 on this very same board.
This might equally be the case for the XT860? Probably too early to tell?
(Both the XT862 and the XT860 have Qualcomm MSM6600, according to the Motorola fact sheet. But it could also be the antenna that determines the quality of the signal, instead of the chip.)

onethreeteeh

Aug 21, 2010
that issue on the motorla forums is due to the phone not being able to read the mcc and mnc codes from the sim card. buying a new sim fixes it (at least in my personal experience)

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
Can this be fixed by rooting the phone? If not, then the hardware must be different.

No - because this is a baseband feature (radio firmware). You can't alter the radio image unless bootloader is unlocked as it is signed. Root will not help.

Maybe the user forgot to unlock the phone, or did it incorrectly?

I doubt - unlocking procedure is dead simple. And code is just 8 digits long. Good thing is you can't hard-lock the phone - after 1/2 hour being left on, or so, it will let you enter codes again.
T

Here a case:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/56763
(Don't know if he unlocked the phone.)

This might equally be the case for the XT860? Probably too early to tell?
(Both the XT862 and the XT860 have Qualcomm MSM6600, according to the Motorola fact sheet. But it could also be the antenna that determines the quality of the signal, instead of the chip.)

This is something the operator does. And the only one operator in the world I've ever seen doing this is Verizon. I doubt that would be a case with non-Verizon phones.

Above case is another example of issues with D3 and sim cards - D2G suffered same issues too. Using Verizon world phone with non-Verizon SIM card in it is a hit or miss, at best.

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
So how could we find out whether the baseband firmware is different on the XT860 than on the XT862?

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The baseband firmware is absolutely different. One is a CDMA/GSM global device and the other is GSM only. Despite sharing the MDM6600 chipset, they are very different.

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
The baseband firmware is absolutely different. One is a CDMA/GSM global device and the other is GSM only. Despite sharing the MDM6600 chipset, they are very different.

How do you know this? Motorola's factsheet says the XT860 supports CDMA.
Would it be possible to flash the XT860 firmware to the XT862 droid 3?

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
How do you know this? Motorola's factsheet says the XT860 supports CDMA.
Would it be possible to flash the XT860 firmware to the XT862 droid 3?

where did you see XT860 supporting CDMA???

btw if someone knows something about Motorola radios that would be Cell Zealot. You haven't heard of Team Black Hat??

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
Last edited:

deoxy

Jul 29, 2011
It only lists WCDMA, which is not the same as CDMA. (The Droid 3 supports both.)

deoxy

Jul 29, 2011
Ah, i never noticed that. What is WCDMA then?
Wikipedia says:
Code division multiple access (CDMA) is a channel access method used by various radio communication technologies. It should not be confused with the mobile phone standards called cdmaOne, CDMA2000 (the 3G evolution of cdmaOne) and WCDMA (the 3G standard used by GSM carriers), which are often referred to as simply CDMA, and use CDMA as an underlying channel access method.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have obtained and used all 3 variants.
    To add some clarification to this post:

The XT862 and XT883 are the exact same phone. From the exact same factory with the exact same hardware.

For some reason Motorola has published different features (like FM radio on XT883) but not published it on XT862. Or Wireless N on the XT862 but not XT883. It exists on both phones, regardless of what Motorola published.

The ROM on the XT883 drains much more power which is why the battery life is published lower. The XT883 ROM also uses a different CDMA configuration, requiring a RUIM to function. This is why the XT883 radio will not work with Verizon when flashed to an XT862.

The XT883 system uses different partition sizes which is why tools like CWM/Safestrap for XT862 will not work.

The XT883 can flash an XT862 SBF and vice versa.
    Anyone with an XT883 can convert it to an XT862 and have access to the wider amount of third party support available for it.

The XT860 is a completely different phone hardware entirely. Different chipset and flashing an XT883 or XT862 SBF could brick it.
    There are different versions of the Droid 3: XT862 (USA), XT860 (Canada), XT860 (Brazil), XT883 (China).
    I'm wondering whether there are any differences in the hardware between these version, especially now that the Droid 3 has been rooted.

When looking the official Motorola specs, I find:
    1) XT862 has HSDPA 10.2 Mbps in the consumer specs, but HSDPA 14.4 Mbps in the developer specs. Both are HSDPA category 9/10. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Downlink_Packet_Access, category 9 has a approximated max rate of 10.1 Mbps and category 10 has 14.0. So maybe Motorola took the value of category 9 instead of 10 when typing the consumer specs, while they should have listed the higher rate of category 10?
    2) The Brazilian XT860 has HSUPA 7.6Mbps, while the Canadian XT860 and the XT862 have HSUPA 5.76 Mbps. But because the Brazilian and Canadian are both are XT860, I would expect this rate to be the same, instead of being different.
    3) The XT860 doesn't have CDMA 800/1900 and CDMA EV-DO Release A, while the XT862 and XT883 do.
    4) The XT862 and XT883 appear to be the same, although I haven't looked in the consumer specs of the XT883 (because it's in Chinese).

Rationaly, when a characteristic of device isn't listed in a specification, you cannot conclude that the device doesn't have that characteristic. The specification might simply be incomplete, but still be correct. But when a characteristic isn't listed for which you would expect it to be listed when would have that characteristic, then the specification suggest (but not conclude) that the device doesn't have that characteristic.

So rationaly, the XT860 might (or might not) have CDMA support, and the Canadian XT860 and the US XT862 might have the same higher HSUPA speed as the Brazilian XT860. And, according to the specs, the XT862 does support 14.4 Mbps HSDPA, although with doubt because the consumer specs list a lower value.

So based on the official specs it is difficult to derive the real maximum speed specs and all features

The best thing would be if someone physically opened all Droid 3 versions, and list the hardware chips. Like this:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-3-Teardown/6108/1

Which says the XT862 has the following hardware chips:
    -Qualcomm MDM6600 supporting HSPA+ speeds of up to 14.4 Mbps
    -SanDisk SDIN4C2 16GB MLC NAND flash
    -Elpida B4064B2PB-8D-F 512MB RAM and TI OMAP 4430 CPU
    -Triquint TQM7M5013 Linear Power Amplifier
    -Avago A2F1106
    -A5005 K1116, A5002 K1118, A5001 K1118
    -Kionix KXTF9 11425 1411 three-axis accelerometer
    -The Qualcomm PM8028 chip works in conjunction with the Qualcomm MDM6600 to provide wireless data connection to the phone.
    -Hynix H8BCS0QG0MMR memory MCP containing Hynix DRAM and STM flash
    -ST Ericsson CPCAP 006556001
    -WL1285C 13M1HH3
    -6792A 1113 T3971

I expect that the XT883 has the same hardware. But the more interesting question is whether the XT860 also has this hardware.

From this list, when it comes to mobile networks, the most important part is probably the Qualcomm MDM6600 and maybe also the Qualcomm PM8028.
    The specs of the MDM6600 can be found in http://www.docin.com/p-162606115.html . If I understand it correctly, it supports both CDMA and GSM networks.

But even if a mobile device has a MDM6600 in it, which by itself supports CDMA, it doesn't mean that the mobile device supports CDMA. This is the case for the IPhone 4, which comes in a GSM/AT&T version and a CDMA/Verizon version:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Verizon-Teardown/4693/1
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

Interesting is the following quote for the CDMA/Verizon IPhone 4:
    The Qualcomm MDM6600 chip supports HSPA+ data rates of up to 14.4 Mbps and CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B.
    This is the same chipset as the Droid Pro world phone. It supports both GSM and CDMA—which means that Apple could have supported GSM!
    Why didn't they? It may be that it was easier to design antennas for a CDMA-only phone -- this phone supports two cellular frequency bands, while Apple supports five bands in the GSM version.
    So even when a phone has a chip that support CDMA, other parts of the phone might not (because of design reasons), causing the phone not to support CDMA.

But why would Motorola first release XT862 that supports both GSM and CDMA, and later release the XT860 with CDMA stripped off? I would expect that they would do this only if stripping CDMA from the XT860 would benefit some other feature. Any ideas?

Some info as reference for the different Droid 3 versions:
    1)
    -Name: Motorola Droid 3
    -Code: XT862
    -Sold by: Verizon Wireless
    -Release date: 14 July 2011

2)
    -Name: Motorola XT860
    -Sold by: Bell
    -Release date: 9 August 2011
    -Notes: Called "XT860 4G" at the Motorola and Bell website, but the manual and box just says "XT860" without "4G" in the name.

3)
    -Name: Motorola MOTO XT883
    -Code: XT883
    -Release date: ~1-11 August 2011
    -Note: Called "Milestone 3 XT883" at the Motorola Developer spec page.

4)
    -Name: Motorola Milestone 3
    -Sold by: Vivo
    -Release date: ~18 August 2011
    -Note: Sometimes called "Motorola Milestone 3 com Motoblur"
    RWALEY

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Good news about the wireless-N.

According to the ebay seller, who I've used reliably before, this phone will come unlocked for all GSM networks, including USA (T-Mobile) networks.
    Considering this, do I still need to flash a different rom or radio?
    I'm new to android and Motorola phones, so not clear about this.
    Is rooting needed to freely add any app I want?
    Is rooting the same as unlocking the bootloader?

Thanx
    Joe

The phone you are getting is going to be unlocked but you will not be able to do much 3rd party wise. You will have the China Mobile ROM most likely. If everything works for you then you can just leave it as is.

If you want to have access to the wider amount of 3rd party modifications, you will have to convert the phone software to XT862. It is unfortunate because you likely paid a higher price for the XT883 but as of right now there is not much XT883 development.

If you flash to XT862 you will need to flash back the XT883 radio and build.prop so you have USA GSM support. Otherwise, the XT862 radio blocked USA GSM bands.

Rooting is only necessary for some applications, and has nothing to do with the bootloader. There is a kexec bootloader in progress for the XT862 if you are interested in completely changing the kernel.
    if and when we can find a xt860, UNLOCKED, will it work in Europe, France for instance, (GSM), without having to do any modification on it.

Calls, texts, emails will work directly if we put a Bouygues SIM (for France) in it, just like that ?

thank you.

It should, yes. At least the droid 3 works in europe, so I don't see why the XT860 shouldn't.
    Haven't seen anyone with the XT860 in europe though?
    you mean we can already get a droid 3 in europe ? it's available ?

No it's not, but you can buy it and ship it to europe.