[Telus Only][How-To] Root your Fascinate Gingerbread 2.3.3 T959TLKG2

Search This thread

MrManiacNF

Jul 11, 2011
Newfoundland
Same.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using XDA App

did the fascinate come up in the list for you in rom manager, cause it don't for me.

I was thinking, I have the zip file that rom manager downloads when I was on froyo, I was going to take the recovery.bin from it, make a odin flashable file and try it out. But I'm afraid too.

is the recovery specific to the rom you're using. I'm on stock gingerbread now. The zip is for froyo.

Another thing I was thinking is simply replacing the stock recovery.bin with the CWM one inside the zip file. Either using root explorer, or adb.

Here are the instructions I found

adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

I don't know if this will work.

-Maniac

Edit: One thing I did do when I had the speedmod kernel flashed for rooting, I made a backup. So I guess something I could do is try this out, and if it don't work I could flash the speedmod kernel, restore the backup, and then stock kernel again. That sound like something that should work??

Last edited:

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
did the fascinate come up in the list for you in rom manager, cause it don't for me.

I was thinking, I have the zip file that rom manager downloads when I was on froyo, I was going to take the recovery.bin from it, make a odin flashable file and try it out. But I'm afraid too.

is the recovery specific to the rom you're using. I'm on stock gingerbread now. The zip is for froyo.

Another thing I was thinking is simply replacing the stock recovery.bin with the CWM one inside the zip file. Either using root explorer, or adb.

Here are the instructions I found

adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

I don't know if this will work.

-Maniac

Edit: One thing I did do when I had the speedmod kernel flashed for rooting, I made a backup. So I guess something I could do is try this out, and if it don't work I could flash the speedmod kernel, restore the backup, and then stock kernel again. That sound like something that should work??
No the phone was listed but I thought I would try i9000 since its similar to ours - but to no avail. Not really that shocking - I could not get CWM on my phone previously using ROM manager - it said it worked, but didn't. I instead used lagfix which then got CWM on - like you I"m wondering if the update.zip from Froyo would work - I could try that using SGS Flasher maybe.

Demetris

Recognized Developer
Aug 15, 2008
Limassol
Hi,
anyone here able to help me locate a standalone T959TLKG2 modem.bin since you now have root?

adb shell
su
cat /dev/block/bml12 > /sdcard/modem.bin
Modem.bin should be on your sdcard and 12,0 MB (12.582.912 bytes) when right click and select properties on it. It takes 3 seconds from start to finish to dump the modem, once you have adb shell working.
Thanks in advance
P.s
If anyone knows how to dump the gps driver off this rom would be breaking news over the Vibrant forums as we need the driver to push it to cyanogen mod.
Fascinate 3g+ and Vibrant are the same specs just rebranded so the drivers will work just fine ;)

Last edited:

MrManiacNF

Jul 11, 2011
Newfoundland
Hi,
anyone here able to help me locate a standalone T959TLKG2 modem.bin since you now have root?

adb shell
su
cat /dev/block/bml12 > /sdcard/modem.bin
Modem.bin should be on your sdcard and 12,0 MB (12.582.912 bytes) when right click and select properties on it. It takes 3 seconds from start to finish to dump the modem, once you have adb shell working.
Thanks in advance
P.s
If anyone knows how to dump the gps driver off this rom would be breaking news over the Vibrant forums as we need the driver to push it to cyanogen mod.
Fascinate 3g+ and Vibrant are the same specs just rebranded so the drivers will work just fine ;)

I've done this, I'm getting a modem.bin 12.5 MB (13,107,200 bytes), when I check those size on the froyo modem, JL3, it's the size you state, right to the byte. Is it possible the GB modem is bigger, or it not in BML12 anymore?

Demetris

Recognized Developer
Aug 15, 2008
Limassol
Modem.bin is the same size and BML12 stays as the modem partition :)
You are doing something wrong but anyway i got the modem.bin from the harimgs Rom link, thanks

MrManiacNF

Jul 11, 2011
Newfoundland
Modem.bin is the same size and BML12 stays as the modem partition :)
You are doing something wrong but anyway i got the modem.bin from the harimgs Rom link, thanks

I want to figure this out, if you happen to flash the rom, and you rip the modem, and the size is 12.5, plz confirm with me so I can make my odin backup.

I've tried gettiing the modem using the cat command, as well as dd=/of= bs=4096 command... both give me exactly the same file.

Anyways, at least you got the file.

Maniac

a2000rick

Feb 21, 2008
Telus Fascinate 3G+ recently got updated to Gingerbread and here is how to root it.

Things that you need

1.Speedmod Kernel
2.Stock GB kernel [attatched below]

How?

1. First flash the Speedmod kernel via odin [vol down + connect the usb]
2. uncheck repartion, auto reboot option and flash it
3. go to recovery mod [vol up & down + power button]
4. go to speedmod advanced option menu
5. root your device
6. flash back to Stock Telus GB kernel via odin

which version of speedmod and odin (and link for download)?

Last edited:

mxpxboi

Apr 7, 2006
Telford, PA
Telus Fascinate 3G+ recently got updated to Gingerbread and here is how to root it.

Things that you need

1.Speedmod Kernel
2.Stock GB kernel [attatched below]

How?

1. First flash the Speedmod kernel via odin [vol down + connect the usb]
2. uncheck repartion, auto reboot option and flash it
3. go to recovery mod [vol up & down + power button]
4. go to speedmod advanced option menu
5. root your device
6. flash back to Stock Telus GB kernel via odin
Will this work on the 3G+? I assume it's the same exactly phone except with the faster download speeds?

a2000rick

Feb 21, 2008
ok it worked, thanks. Just asked for the download link incase it was a specific version of odin. I used speed mode version K15I-T10 and odin3 v1.7 btw.

did anyone get a gps test secret code to work with 2.3.3?

Last edited:

keroma

Sep 2, 2008
I got this phone 2 days ago from TELUS.
And trying to root it with 2.3.3 that i just updated from kies.

I used odin3 v1.83 + speedmod-kernel-k15i-t10.tar.
It flashed successful.
But it keep restarting at the beginning. It shown "I9000" logo and "Sgh-t959D" logo. But it cannot boot to the system.

So i used odin3 v1.83 + T959TLKG2_Kernel.tar flash it again. (I tried the file in PDA and bootloader)
It flashed successful also.
But this time, i can boot to the system.

And i installed superuser app on my phone. It said i didn't root my phone yet.
So i guess it doesn't work.

Anyone can tell me which step i do wrong? I tried few times already, but same result. Cannot root the system.

Thank you

P.S. I don't understand how to do this>> 4: go to speedmod advanced option menu - how can i go to the menu? Do i need to press any button?

Last edited:

a2000rick

Feb 21, 2008
that P.S. is your problem.

after you flash the speedmod kernel, unplug the phone and turn it off. now hold down volume up and down, and then while still holding vol up and down, hold down the power button. continue to hold all 3 buttons until you see a green menu. use the volume buttons to navigate to speedmod advanced menu. use the power button make a selection. choose to root. then go back to the initial menu and select to reboot into download mode. now flash the stock kernel back using odin

Reactions: keroma

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Click on the PDA box in Odin and choose Speedmod Kernel. Uncheck those boxes on the left and then put your phone in download mode.

Click start and pray.

The rest of the directions are pretty straight forward. Follow those same principals for dumping the stock kernel back on the phone.

Like this:
    exampled.png
    Power the phone off.. Have your usb cable on hand.

Plug the phone in, press vol down + power on. You'll know immediately if it worked. Took me a few tries to figure it out.
    that P.S. is your problem.

after you flash the speedmod kernel, unplug the phone and turn it off. now hold down volume up and down, and then while still holding vol up and down, hold down the power button. continue to hold all 3 buttons until you see a green menu. use the volume buttons to navigate to speedmod advanced menu. use the power button make a selection. choose to root. then go back to the initial menu and select to reboot into download mode. now flash the stock kernel back using odin