[Kernel] Dragon-G2x v1.1.1 (OTA/Weapon) [9/2/2011]

Search This thread

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
First off, big thanks to Faux123. This is based on his repo with a few tweaks of my own. I'll be adding more as we go on. And of course, he's welcome to pull any patches he likes from my github.

Changes:

Added zram compressed swap support. I'll attach a script to turn it on and one to see what its status is. It's not like the older ramzswap that requires a special tool, everything is done through sysfs now. Very nice.

Added zcache compressed cache. This is a bigger win IMO, it compresses any compressible data in the cache. This means you can keep much more data in cache, which means you have to read it in from slow flash much less often.

Tweaked the low memory killer to take swap space into account, but only some of it.... This prevents swap thrashing while the system tries to kill processes and free up ram/swap. I also suggest using something like AutoKiller to set the levels to the best performance for your workload. We all run different apps and such, and that can affect how these things work for each user. There is no setup that is going to be perfect for 100% of users. Speaking of AutoKiller, I have found the advanced tweaks to help a fair bit as well. Don't use the memory management one, it overides your settings for things like swappyness. And the IO Scheduler doesn't do anything as we aren't using cfq. Unless you turn on cfq...

On Swap and compression:

While badly configured swap can slow things down, it's far more complex than people think. It also frees up RAM that's not being used frequently for apps that are. So your system can more efficiently use the resources it has. While compression does use some CPU time, our dual core 1Ghz+ CPUs can compress/decompress REALLY fast. Far faster than reading from the flash storage. In theory, this can affect battery life, though I haven't seen any significant issues from it.

Q: But we have 512M, that's a LOT!
A: Well, kind of... Not all of it is accessible to the kernel for running apps. 128M for the GPU, some for the cameras, wifi, etc... In the end, a little less than 400M is available. Then you have to add in system overhead from the kernel itself, Android's OS processes, etc.. That is quite limiting, IMO, so using it more efficiently is important to me.

Q: I don't like compression/swap.
A: Then don't run this kernel. :p

Download (OTA) v1.1: http://goo.gl/2dCK8
Scripts: http://goo.gl/M4SzG

Code:
OTA Changelog: 

v1.1.1:

* Fixed Haptic Vibration
* Fixed some config settings

v1.1: 

* Updates from faux123 to fix LG crap code
* Increase voltages and enable 1.5GHz

v1.0.3:

* Added low memory killer changes back in. 
* Fixed Haptic Vibration

v1.0.2: 

* Correct mis-applied zcache patch.

Last edited:

C-4Nati

Jun 28, 2010
Cincinnati
Haptic feedback doesn't work. Faux had the same problem in one of his earlier kernels bbut he fixed it .

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Haptic feedback doesn't work. Faux had the same problem in one of his earlier kernels bbut he fixed it .

I'll test it again, but I know it was working at one point.

EDIT: Argh.. yeah, config got messed up. Compiling now.

OK. 1.1.1 is up, tested on my phone with working vibrate.

Last edited:
Reactions: albertorodast2007

albertorodast2007

Oct 10, 2010
Guatemala
Data missing

Hey ttabbal, maybe you can help me a little bit with the issue im having with cyanogenmod based roms,

I've been trying to know a bit more bout RILs and ended up learning that it resides at the kernel. My objetive of learning about it is because no matter I do i cant have data conection on any CM7 based ROM but I DO have data on any Froyo / Gingerbread OTA rom, even tryed to change basebands, change sim card, push the apps related to the telephony from GB OTA to Cyanogen and replace Ril Libs also. Nothing had worked. And this is where you can help me a little: while using your kernel I have the exact same issue! No data whatsoever! No matter what ROM I use, in the other hand using Faux's kernel i got no issue, and bec you based yours in his work im sure you know what exactly changed between them and enlight me or make me understang what can I possibly do to fix my issue.

Thanks!

BTW I live in Guatemala CA, using a data plan from CLARO (America Movil) carrier

Look here at the Wikipedia Link to look at the baseband Im using.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hey ttabbal, maybe you can help me a little bit with the issue im having with cyanogenmod based roms,

I've been trying to know a bit more bout RILs and ended up learning that it resides at the kernel. My objetive of learning about it is because no matter I do i cant have data conection on any CM7 based ROM but I DO have data on any Froyo / Gingerbread OTA rom, even tryed to change basebands, change sim card, push the apps related to the telephony from GB OTA to Cyanogen and replace Ril Libs also. Nothing had worked. And this is where you can help me a little: while using your kernel I have the exact same issue! No data whatsoever! No matter what ROM I use, in the other hand using Faux's kernel i got no issue, and bec you based yours in his work im sure you know what exactly changed between them and enlight me or make me understang what can I possibly do to fix my issue.

Thanks!

BTW I live in Guatemala CA, using a data plan from CLARO (America Movil) carrier

I'm happy to share any information I can. Your issue is interesting as I can't think of any changes that should affect the radio. Most of the radio code isn't in the kernel. It's handled by a daemon called rild. We could try reverting some patches. The first thing to try would be to test all the older versions of the kernel. I'll get links posted for you when I get to a computer. If one of those work, we can look at the differences between them to try and narrow it down.

Whitehawkx

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2010
Emerald City

Thanks!

I'm not so sure the kernel is going to affect your issue much. As ttabbal said it lies in the RILD binary. CM7/Miui has known issues with no data connectivity though it seems to happen pretty random. Have you tried doing a hard reboot? (hold power + vol up approximately 10 seconds) On occasion I have the same issue with no data signal (though cell is just fine). Usually a hard reboot (or two) solves the problem though.

albertorodast2007

Oct 10, 2010
Guatemala
I'm not so sure the kernel is going to affect your issue much. As ttabbal said it lies in the RILD binary. CM7/Miui has known issues with no data connectivity though it seems to happen pretty random. Have you tried doing a hard reboot? (hold power + vol up approximately 10 seconds) On occasion I have the same issue with no data signal (though cell is just fine). Usually a hard reboot (or two) solves the problem though.

Yup, its someting else, i even managed to solve the APN dissapearing issue in other way: install market enabler, change SIM code to anything and ther revert back to defualt an it will show u again your APNs just like if you hard rebooted.

I even tried copying rild (/system/bin) from OTA GB rom to a CM7 rom and flash, and nothing, and why using your rom and faux's kernel i got data and if using ttabbal's one i have none? has to do something with the kernel! but thanks for ur posts anyways I know ur busy guys :p

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Yup, its someting else, i even managed to solve the APN dissapearing issue in other way: install market enabler, change SIM code to anything and ther revert back to defualt an it will show u again your APNs just like if you hard rebooted.

I even tried copying rild (/system/bin) from OTA GB rom to a CM7 rom and flash, and nothing, and why using your rom and faux's kernel i got data and if using ttabbal's one i have none? has to do something with the kernel! but thanks for ur posts anyways I know ur busy guys :p

Your description sounds like the known cm7 apn bug to me. Installing a kernel usually triggers the bug for me as it involves soft reboots. With dragon, do the data workarounds work? Exactly what ROM are you running?

albertorodast2007

Oct 10, 2010
Guatemala
I think im not leaving things clear, my above post was what I did to fix apn dissapearing when i flashed cm7... and even if i hard rebooted (or used the market enabler trick) and apns where restored still couldnt get data to work...

Im usign whitehawk's rom now, but if i pair it with your kernel, the issue i have is not that apn dissapear (like they did in cm7, bec of the known issue) but that I cant get data to connect.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I think im not leaving things clear, my above post was what I did to fix apn dissapearing when i flashed cm7... and even if i hard rebooted (or used the market enabler trick) and apns where restored still couldnt get data to work...

Im usign whitehawk's rom now, but if i pair it with your kernel, the issue i have is not that apn dissapear (like they did in cm7, bec of the known issue) but that I cant get data to connect.

OK, just making sure. Here are the older versions of the kernel. Try them out and see if any resolve the data issue you are seeing.

1.1: http://goo.gl/e913p
1.0.3: http://goo.gl/7QY0a
1.0.2: http://goo.gl/O6PDb
1.0.1: http://goo.gl/OWkG8
1.0: http://goo.gl/gLeFz

I honestly don't expect them to, but if the only change is the kernel, it seems like it could be related. Could you also attach a file with logs when it's trying to connect? Perhaps also with a log when booting from Faux's kernel when it works right?

adb logcat > log.txt
adb logcat -b radio > radio.txt

I might be able to see something in there...

Just to make sure we're on the same page, by Whitehawkx's rom you mean Weapon 2.4? I just noticed your sig says 2.3... I don't see sigs when I'm on my phone, so I missed that before. :) Have you tried updating to 2.4? It might help... it might not... :)

albertorodast2007

Oct 10, 2010
Guatemala
OK, just making sure. Here are the older versions of the kernel. Try them out and see if any resolve the data issue you are seeing.

1.1: http://goo.gl/e913p
1.0.3: http://goo.gl/7QY0a
1.0.2: http://goo.gl/O6PDb
1.0.1: http://goo.gl/OWkG8
1.0: http://goo.gl/gLeFz

I honestly don't expect them to, but if the only change is the kernel, it seems like it could be related. Could you also attach a file with logs when it's trying to connect? Perhaps also with a log when booting from Faux's kernel when it works right?

adb logcat > log.txt
adb logcat -b radio > radio.txt

I might be able to see something in there...

Just to make sure we're on the same page, by Whitehawkx's rom you mean Weapon 2.4? I just noticed your sig says 2.3... I don't see sigs when I'm on my phone, so I missed that before. :) Have you tried updating to 2.4? It might help... it might not... :)

hahahaha noob mistake... yeah im on 2.4 just updated my sig, thanks for pointing me that, thanks man! gonna use adb to get u some usefull logcats...

BTW i've seen some interesting updates on the nightly changelog for the p999, gonna try flashing latest nightly and see if something has changed....

Last edited:

albertorodast2007

Oct 10, 2010
Guatemala
Logs

Ok some logs from faux's and yours latest kernels, gonna start trying previous kernels from your links, muchas gracias! :D

BDW: flashed nightly #124 and still no data for me, i guess its bec im using it outside the states and/or its a SIM unlocked device.. :(

Attachments

• logs.zip
    85.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

skburke

Feb 9, 2005
Crashes on OTA

Used for half a day and had two lock ups using GB OTA. G2X would not come out of stand by. I will retry at a later time. It was nice to be able to use annyconnect vpn.

FastJoe78

Aug 6, 2010
I cannot get the zswap stats script to run properly...it says syntax error (expecting ")") or some ****...what I'm I not understanding with this

Last edited:

bighulk666

Jun 8, 2010
Bay Area
Been running the kernel for about a day, both scripts running with script manager, no freezes or issues yet. Been trying to cause problems like I've had with other kernels, and i'm not getting them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    anyone happen to have a active download link for this? Thank you.

Here is the latest from what I had.
    First off, big thanks to Faux123. This is based on his repo with a few tweaks of my own. I'll be adding more as we go on. And of course, he's welcome to pull any patches he likes from my github.

Changes:

Added zram compressed swap support. I'll attach a script to turn it on and one to see what its status is. It's not like the older ramzswap that requires a special tool, everything is done through sysfs now. Very nice.

Added zcache compressed cache. This is a bigger win IMO, it compresses any compressible data in the cache. This means you can keep much more data in cache, which means you have to read it in from slow flash much less often.

Tweaked the low memory killer to take swap space into account, but only some of it.... This prevents swap thrashing while the system tries to kill processes and free up ram/swap. I also suggest using something like AutoKiller to set the levels to the best performance for your workload. We all run different apps and such, and that can affect how these things work for each user. There is no setup that is going to be perfect for 100% of users. Speaking of AutoKiller, I have found the advanced tweaks to help a fair bit as well. Don't use the memory management one, it overides your settings for things like swappyness. And the IO Scheduler doesn't do anything as we aren't using cfq. Unless you turn on cfq...

On Swap and compression:

While badly configured swap can slow things down, it's far more complex than people think. It also frees up RAM that's not being used frequently for apps that are. So your system can more efficiently use the resources it has. While compression does use some CPU time, our dual core 1Ghz+ CPUs can compress/decompress REALLY fast. Far faster than reading from the flash storage. In theory, this can affect battery life, though I haven't seen any significant issues from it.

Q: But we have 512M, that's a LOT!
    A: Well, kind of... Not all of it is accessible to the kernel for running apps. 128M for the GPU, some for the cameras, wifi, etc... In the end, a little less than 400M is available. Then you have to add in system overhead from the kernel itself, Android's OS processes, etc.. That is quite limiting, IMO, so using it more efficiently is important to me.

Q: I don't like compression/swap.
    A: Then don't run this kernel. :p

Download (OTA) v1.1: http://goo.gl/2dCK8
    Scripts: http://goo.gl/M4SzG

Code:
    OTA Changelog: 

v1.1.1:

* Fixed Haptic Vibration
    * Fixed some config settings

v1.1: 

* Updates from faux123 to fix LG crap code
    * Increase voltages and enable 1.5GHz

v1.0.3:

* Added low memory killer changes back in. 
    * Fixed Haptic Vibration

v1.0.2: 

* Correct mis-applied zcache patch.
    I cannot get the zswap stats script to run properly...it says syntax error (expecting ")") or some ****...what I'm I not understanding with this

Make sure the zram_stats file is on root of your sdcard (/sdcard). Then, instead of trying to use zram_stats with script manager, use the run-zram_stats I made... http://db.tt/kQonXqF.
    Again, original zram_stats must be on sdcard, but do not run it with script manager. Instead, use the script in my link by using script manager.

Please remember to "Thank" if you've been helped
    Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

I'll test it again, but I know it was working at one point.

EDIT: Argh.. yeah, config got messed up. Compiling now.

OK. 1.1.1 is up, tested on my phone with working vibrate.

Thanks!

I'm happy to share any information I can. Your issue is interesting as I can't think of any changes that should affect the radio. Most of the radio code isn't in the kernel. It's handled by a daemon called rild. We could try reverting some patches. The first thing to try would be to test all the older versions of the kernel. I'll get links posted for you when I get to a computer. If one of those work, we can look at the differences between them to try and narrow it down.