Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,985 Members 41,318 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Next device?
Android 16 59.26%
IOS (Iphone) 2 7.41%
Windows 7 9 33.33%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Life after TG01: Android or Iphone?

Tip us?

Pere
Old
(Last edited by Pere; 3rd September 2011 at 05:15 PM.) Reason: Added apps table
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Default Life after TG01: Android or Iphone?

http://bit.ly/nVOJok

It's hard to recognize it, but the sunset of our loved TG01 is coming....

I have a pair of TG01 and I love them, are the state of the art with WM. But WM is dead: all new software is for Iphone or Android. So, sooner or later, I'll jump to another device.

My problem is that I'm a Windows Mobile user since 2005 and absolutely ignorant regarding other operating systems.

I suppose that I'm not the only in this situation, and I'd like to know your opinions as you have already moved to other devices, from the point of view of a former WM 6.x user.

My son has a Iphone 4 and , jailbreaked, and it's impressive. On the other part, i love the specs of the last Android's Samsung Galaxy SII, specially after knowing that Host USB is possible on it.

Please contribute with your opinions , personal reviews, useful links, and specially, I'd like to create a table of programs on Android and Iphone OS, able to replace the hundred of WM programs (more or less) that I've got in my TG01.

Waiting your comments.

Thank you!

Rila
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Hi Pere,

I am an Android user of Galaxy S (not SII) since May 2010 and i love the way it feels that SO!
I bought two weeks ago TG01 because I liked from the begining and I can compare it for you!

The first thing is that with Android you are better connected with the internet, the internet browser load everything, play flash ... (its like having a real computer with Crome installed as a browser )

The second thing is that you have Android Market (200.000 apps and the number grow). All the apps have a free of charge use(contains comercials but that doesn't bothered)

The third but not least is the optimization of the SO for finger use! Win Mob SO it was designed for stylus use not for finger and it shows!
Greeting everyone!

nikola92
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Android, i have samsung galaxsy s II and comparing to other phones GOD, there is no better phone. to be honest same price as iphone 4 and twice better, well you could wait for iphone 5G but the camera and screen are the best spots on sgs2.
Samsung Galaxy S II - Omega
HTC HD7 - Deepshining v7.8 'NokiaLove'
Simens A35 >Nokia 3310 >Sony Ericsson V600i >Nokia N73 Music edition >Nokia 5130 Xpress Music >HTC HD2 >Samsung gt-800 JET >Meizu M8 SE 8 Gb White >Toshiba Tsunagi tg01 >Samsung Galaxy S II >iPhone 3GS 32 Gb >Meizu M9 > HTC Desire >HTC DHD> HTC HD7> HTC Titan>Samsung Galaxy S II
The Following User Says Thank You to nikola92 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pere
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Nice to met you here! Your opinion is very valuable to me as expert TG01 user.

USB Host is a must for me (My previous XDA Flame has it and was the reason to choose TG01 two years ago) but it seems to be a rarity in today's market.

Have you tested it?

And what about apps?

Thank you for explain us your experiences....

(InsertNameHere)
Old
(Last edited by (InsertNameHere); 29th August 2011 at 08:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 266
I have just moved to a Dell Streak, the huge 5" screen being the thing i really wanted.

I still have my TG01 right now and can compare them quite well as they both run on a snapdragon 1Ghz cpu.

Screen size aside, Android is so much faster on the hardware, WM seems quite slow in comparison, the user interface of Froyo just seems so fast.

Dell Streak can support USB host i think, and i have it overclocked to 1.19ghz for a little extra speed.

The process of flashing roms was a bit of a learning curve, but it was the same when i got my TG01 having come from a few Symbian devices before that, but its always the same when you change phone os.

I think if you are starting to consider the move to android, your time is pretty much now, becuase WM is starting to look quite old, and performance on the same hardware is just so far removed.

Apps are a plenty, lots of good free apps out there, for instance, there is a free app called AdFree which can block ads by installing a hosts file containing the addresses of ad servers. Lots of customization options including many different homescreen/launchers and you can have animated wallpaper if you want, the homescreen/today screen supports widgets, so you can have a htc style clock with weather, and lots of other widgets far too many to mention.

nikola92
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Angry Samsung Galaxsy S II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere View Post
Nice to met you here! Your opinion is very valuable to me as expert TG01 user.

USB Host is a must for me (My previous XDA Flame has it and was the reason to choose TG01 two years ago) but it seems to be a rarity in today's market.

Have you tested it?

And what about apps?

Thank you for explain us your experiences....
USB Host is working tested with Nokia HDMI to usb host cable, mouse, and external HDD 500 Gb, they will try to make the cable connection to LCD TV and charger at same time, mouse bluetooth connection and you just need to run ubuntu that i personaly tested . SGS2 AMAZING PHONE!!!! I will try to test that multy connection mode too, but i don't think it will be problem to a 1,6 GHz machine. Apps all working SPB shell best thing i saw ever, all HD games...

i have been using all kinda os's but android is still not my favourite one, iOS is but i don't like the Apple brand so overtook it i mean that OS on sgs2 best thing ever. So Pere it's all on you, just take iphone 4 and sgs2 i hands and it will be all clear to you, brand vs. power
Samsung Galaxy S II - Omega
HTC HD7 - Deepshining v7.8 'NokiaLove'
Simens A35 >Nokia 3310 >Sony Ericsson V600i >Nokia N73 Music edition >Nokia 5130 Xpress Music >HTC HD2 >Samsung gt-800 JET >Meizu M8 SE 8 Gb White >Toshiba Tsunagi tg01 >Samsung Galaxy S II >iPhone 3GS 32 Gb >Meizu M9 > HTC Desire >HTC DHD> HTC HD7> HTC Titan>Samsung Galaxy S II

Pere
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by (InsertNameHere) View Post
I have just moved to a Dell Streak, the huge 5" screen being the thing i really wanted........Dell Streak can support USB host i think, and i have it overclocked to 1.19ghz for a little extra speed.

The process of flashing roms was a bit of a learning curve, but it was the same when i got my TG01 having come from a few Symbian devices before that, but its always the same when you change phone os.....
Thanks, very interesting. Is a pity that Streak 5 is no longer available. It seems that 5" is too big for present market....

And what about apps? I mean, for instance, with program Android users prefer to watch videos or listen to the music?

(InsertNameHere)
Old
(Last edited by (InsertNameHere); 30th August 2011 at 06:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere View Post
Thanks, very interesting. Is a pity that Streak 5 is no longer available. It seems that 5" is too big for present market....

And what about apps? I mean, for instance, with program Android users prefer to watch videos or listen to the music?
Dell Streak 5 is still available in europe, but if you don't need the 5" screen then obviously there is much better out there. MoboPlayer is a very good constantly updated video player, and there are loads of good audio players, PowerAMP and Winamp being examples. WinMo probably has better mp3 players but thats subjective.

Pere
Old
(Last edited by Pere; 3rd September 2011 at 05:33 PM.) Reason: Added Freda question
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Default Table to relate WM/Android/IOS apps

I've started this table to relate apps. The aim is to help me to find the "must" apps (from my point of view, of course) able to replace the ones that I use in my loved TG01

The first one is the Pocket Controller, is there any like it on Android and IOS??

The second one: BEst Epub reader? I use Freda

Thank you guys!

http://bit.ly/nVOJok

Tozzy2
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I still have TG01 and still holding out hope of something special coming soon. Every day I check google hoping to see media breaking news headline such as:

TG01 now running linux/android SUCCESSFULLY

But, now I'm starting to lose hope and thinking of moving on and upgrading to a new device. It really does seem like development is dying, or already dead.
Current Primary Device: Nexus 7 2012 (Rooted)
Official Stock 4.4 Kitkat
Current Secondary Device: Sony Xperia Mini ST15i
Kernel: nobodyAtall's 2.6
Custom ROM: Super Jelly Bean™ 8.0
RIP Toshiba TG01 (sold for 120Euro)