Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,799 Members 37,986 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Project] Unlock Droid Bionic Bootloader [Update: 9/29 CWM!]

Tip us?

kennethpenn
Old
(Last edited by kennethpenn; 1st October 2011 at 06:21 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3794

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb [Project] Unlock Droid Bionic Bootloader [Update: 9/29 CWM!]

Hey Bionic owners,

Update #4: Looks like a Motorola update should be arriving soon... fire up those server-checking engines and keep checking over the next few weeks! http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/30...g-in-november/
Update #3: Thanks to "phydo" we have a better set of instructions. Also, it seems someone's found a file on motorola-staging1.blurdev.com. Updated instructions and CWM flash below.
Update #2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=143
Update: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=34
We ARE still looking for more files and more sources to help with the project. Please come forward if you can help!

There's a chance we can unlock the bootloader on this device with a simple method that led to the unlocked bootloader on the international Motorola Atrix and Sprint Motorola Photon 4G. Not sure if anyone's started the effort here. So, if you'd like to help the unlock process, follow the "Project Cheesecake" instructions below, or contribute in another way.

Ways to uncover unlockable bootloader:
  1. Motorola, Verizon XML file sets for Motorola Droid Bionic
  2. Project Cheesecake - finding update versions on Motorola servers

1. XML File sets
If you or someone you know can provide xml fastboot files that are tailored by Motorola for the Droid Bionic, you can help! Post them on XDA or another source to help the effort. If you wish to remain anonymous or keep the files unreleased, shoot me an email (kenny@web-sk.com). Your file can be checked for an unlocked bootloader without compromising anonymity or file release.

FYI: XML sets may look like this: "fastboot-p2D_targa_cdma_targa-user-X.X.X-X.X.X_XX_DBN-55-110814-release-keys-Verizon-US.tar.gz"

2. Cheesecake
This project involves scanning Motorola's update servers for potentially helpful build files. You'll need to carefully follow the directions below to obtain files and then send those files to be checked out further. You can send me a PM or email (kenny@web-sk.com).Alternatively, post the files on XDA or another source and I will check them.

Instructions:
List of servers:
Code:
master-lab.blurdev.com 
master-demo.blurdev.com 
master-dev.blurdev.com 
master-qa1.blurdev.com 
master-qa2.blurdev.com 
master-qa3.blurdev.com 
master-qa4.blurdev.com 
master-staging1.blurdev.com 
master-sdc1.svcmot.com 
master-blur.svcmot.com 
master-homer.blurdev.com 
master-bart.blurdev.com 
master-lisa.blurdev.com 
master-maggie.blurdev.com 
master-marge.blurdev.com 
master-bqa1.blurdev.com 
master-bqa2.blurdev.com 
testcloud01-sdc1.blurdev.com
  1. Root the device
  2. Install the Bionic Clockwork Mod Boostrap Recovery
    • If you want, boot into recovery mode and create a backup. You will need to wipe all of your applications/cache later in the process.
  3. Boot into recovery mode and choose "Wipe Data" then "Wipe Cache" to wipe your Bionic device.
  4. Return your device to stock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1262540 -- Flash the FXZ file in RSD Lite.
  5. Root your Droid Bionic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1254516
  6. Install the attached "bionic-servers.zip" file in recovery
  7. Reboot your device.
  8. Enter the Phone/Dialer application and type this number:
    Code:
    *#*#4636#*#*
  9. You can now see the diagnostic menu. Click the bottom option for "Motorola Services" and you should be able to see that the master cloud has changed to: "master-lab.blurdev.com"
  10. Now go to Menu >> Settings >> About phone >> System updates
  11. Check for an update!
  12. If it doesn't work, continue with Step 13. If it works, continue with Step 20.
  13. Edit the file "defaults.xml" located in /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.services.blur/defaults.xml
  14. Change the server to a new one from the list at the beginning of the thread.
  15. Boot back into recovery mode
  16. Wipe Data and Wipe Cache
  17. Reboot
  18. Check for an update Menu >> Settings >> About phone >> System update
  19. If it says "Update Available," let the update download. Do not install the update, because it could potentially brick your device. If no update is available, revert to step #13.
  20. Pull the update.zip file from /cache [Root Explorer or ADB] and upload/post the file for developer interest.
    • Root explorer: Navigate to the root folder. Then click on "cache" and look for a .zip file. Long press it and "copy" the file to your SD card. Mount your device as a USB host and transfer the file to your computer.
Credits
- eval- for his initial discovery on the Atrix 4G
- Navalynt for scanning servers
- SamCripp, the2dcour - working on "Project Cheesecake" and "Pudding" unlock projects
Attached Files
File Type: zip bionic-servers.zip - [Click for QR Code] (167.9 KB, 909 views)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kennethpenn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

open1your1eyes0
Old
(Last edited by open1your1eyes0; 9th September 2011 at 01:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3265

DONATE TO ME
As an added incentive, please be aware we are hosting a bounty thread for first person to successfully unlock the bootloader.

Link To Bounty Thread

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LegionTHEFecalExcretion
Old
Thanks Meter 483
I can provide the Bionic sbf if needed.

amoeller
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionTHEFecalExcretion View Post
I can provide the Bionic sbf if needed.
Is it a retail or developmental SBF? Both ether way would be nice.

LegionTHEFecalExcretion
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Retail. I cannot guarantee it will have an unlocked bootloader. I should also clarify I do not have it in my possession yet. Retail SBF's are pushed by Moto generally within the first week of release. I will keep you all posted.

fixxxer2008
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 90
i wish you guys luck in this. these companies need to start shipping with s-off.

cellzealot
Old
Thanks Meter 853
Quote:
Retail. I cannot guarantee it will have an unlocked bootloader. I should also clarify I do not have it in my possession yet. Retail SBF's are pushed by Moto generally within the first week of release. I will keep you all posted.
Look for an xml.zip file of fastboot images because that is how the D3 firmware has appeared, not in SBF format for use with RSD Lite.

I believe this is how we may see many future firmware files, perhaps even exclusively.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for the Droid and beyond.

Berzerker7
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
This would be extremely helpful to all of us in the development community. Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to come hang out with us on irc.freenode.net in #droidbionic. Thanks for any and all efforts.

Retired: Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Incredible, VZW iPhone 4 Black 16GB, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Droid Incredible 2, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Rezound, Verizon Galaxy Nexus, VZW iPhone 5 Black 32GB, HTC Droid DNA S-OFF, VZW Galaxy S4, VZW iPhone 5S, T-Mobile Nexus 5
Current phone: LG G2, LG G3 on VZW

LegionTHEFecalExcretion
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
Look for an xml.zip file of fastboot images because that is how the D3 firmware has appeared, not in SBF format for use with RSD Lite.
How could I be so blind?! I will investigate asap! Thank you.

Immolate
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
How could I be so blind?! I will investigate asap! Thank you.
How could you be so blind? Dude, you have no eyes.

Tags
bootloader, droid bionic, motorola, unlock, verizon