Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 46,619 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

For those running Mango: IE bug, need people to confirm

Tip us?

Jaxbot
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 546

DONATE TO ME
Default For those running Mango: IE bug, need people to confirm

Hey.
I've been doing some development lately (mobile apps for work and the like), and I've notice something isn't adding up on my Mango'd Focus. From what it looks like, Microsoft didn't properly implement the file upload feature in IE9 Mobile.

So for those of you with Mango running devices, try the following:
-Navigate to http://windowsphonehacker.com/uploadtest.html (Short link: http://bit.ly/pFoFSM ) or any other site with a file upload form.
-Try to add a file to the form. In my experience, pressing Browse just highlights the whole browse box briefly and then stops, and pressing the text box to the left brings up the keyboard in a read-only text input.

Here's the source of the page, for those curious:
HTML Code:
<html>
<body>
<form action='uploadtest.html' method='POST' enctype='multipart/form-data'>
	<input type='file' name='testfile'><br>
	<input type='submit' value='Submit'><br>
</form>
</body>
</html>
From what I can tell, Microsoft omitted implementing the file upload box. If this was an early build of Mango, I would be less concerned, but I'm starting to think that this bug may very well make it into the Mango RTM. If it does, this is some seriously bad news, especially for me as I would have to not support WP7 in my mobile site, which would just be embarrassing.

Can anyone confirm/add pointers?
Thanks.
That guy from Windows Phone Hacker, 2009-2013. Retired June 2013.
Personal Blog | Twitter | Youtube

StevieBallz
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Same behavior on an Omnia 7 using the leaked Engineering Mango ROM (XXKH2).

Rather then a bug I believe it is like this by design as there is no filesystem access. Microsoft could theoretically enable you to pick images, videos or Office documents but this looks like they won't be going that route.

Does anyone know how iOS handles this?
Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-821) - 8.0.10211.204 Stock HTC Titan - 7.10.8773.98 Stock

Arktronic
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Confirmed on LG-E900 with 7720.
Phones: Nokia 6800 Typhoon (SMT5600) ► Hermes (TyTN) ► Raphael (Fuze) ► Samsung Focus Flash + Lumia 710
Tablets: B&N NOOKcolor
Tweet @Arktronic

Want to ping or do DNS and WHOIS lookups on WP7? Get my Network Suite app! Want to have self-updating code in your own WP7 apps? Check out LiveLibs.

"Ну, чумадан, погоди!"

Jaxbot
Old
Thanks Meter 546

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieBallz View Post
Same behavior on an Omnia 7 using the leaked Engineering Mango ROM (XXKH2).

Rather then a bug I believe it is like this by design as there is no filesystem access. Microsoft could theoretically enable you to pick images, videos or Office documents but this looks like they won't be going that route.
Prior to Mango, you could select images for upload (eg, say you're on Facebook Mobile and want to share a photo you took with your friends).
Now there's no way to do that. It could be intentional, but I'm leaning towards a bug on this one.

Livven
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Same happens for me on HD2 with 7720.68. Could be intentional though - on iOS the file upload button is completely inactive (greyed out). Also, remember they removed find on page and forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was removed too.

Jaxbot
Old
Thanks Meter 546

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livven View Post
Same happens for me on HD2 with 7720.68. Could be intentional though - on iOS the file upload button is completely inactive (greyed out). Also, remember they removed find on page and forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was removed too.
I'll see if I can get anyone at MSFT to comment on it. After all, maybe it's one of Ballmer's 500 "features." (eyeroll).
I don't get why they removed forward, though. The IE9 browser is so much harder to navigate than the old one... feels like a step back to me.

Livven
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I'd say it's intentional, especially considering how iOS handles this. Ditching the forward button seems consequent to me, even if not everyone may like it, but missing find in page is really bad.

tessut
Old
Thanks Meter 226

DONATE TO ME
Same bug on htc trophy official mango rom but i think it has to do with the not implemented file explorer.
When I helped you please hit thanks button.
THX

Device History:
1. HTC Trophy T8686
2. HTC Desire HD A9191
3. HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio

HTC ONE X
5. HTC ONE Vivid Blue (M7)

tb4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same behaviour on HTC HD7. Worked fine prior to Mango.