Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,232 Members 38,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread

Tip us?

FAILHARD
Old
(Last edited by FAILHARD; 22nd September 2011 at 12:47 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Default [ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread

Hello Cousins! I am creating a new thread for the official PalmDroid project. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, keep this new thread for only dev news and progress. We have created a new thread for three reasons. First off, the project starter roto-rooter, has been inactive for a while. Also, there hasn't been much ACTUAL dev news in the last thread. Finally, we feel like we would get more notoriety in this section than in the WebOS section.

After speaking with some of you it has become readily apparent that while many people are comfortable waiting for a full android release for the HP Touchpad, there are also quite a few people out there that do not want to switch to a full android OS but simply wish they could have access to the vast app collection that android has to offer.

For these people I offer a solution.

Palmdroid

The Palmdroid project is going to be an ongoing development project to bring a Dalvik like port to the Palm/HP WebOS operating system.

The goals of this project are as follows:

1) to offer a Dalvik port to WebOS that allows for android app emulation as if they were native WebOS apps much like Alien Dalvik on the nokia n900 or the app emulator of the blackberry playbook

2) Share useful information throughout development with the Touchdroid team as to help them reach their end goals and avoid conflicting and overlapping work as well as to foster collaboration and new ideas to speed the project along.

3)If possible (either worked into the project from the start or through later additions) provide the emulator as a download through the WebOS homebrew App catalog.

Now with the goals outlined I'll move on to how this is going to get going and what needs to happen next.

1) First and foremost... I need volunteer developers. If you have experience with Dalvik, WebOS development, Android development, UI development, C++, Java, Etc. I would like you to PM me with details regarding what you can help with. I have some java and C++ experience as well as a ton of web dev and project management experience but with alot of this I am learning as I go and if this is going to get done with any sort of speed I NEED your help.

2) I will be setting up communication channels for the dev team to discuss what needs to be done, share work, etc.

3) I will be setting up a web page (an extension off of my own since I can't finance purchasing another hosting account or domain name right now) where there will be regular updates on the status of the project as well as a section for the dev team as a repository for project related research, source code bits, group status reports etc.

Until the aforementioned steps are met this thread will be used to offer info, updates, and discussion related to development of Palmdroid.

I hope to have the support of the community here as we move ahead... i know I am new around here but I am very passionate about making this happen.

WebOS is a great operating system... and Android has some amazing apps... won't it be an amazing world when you can have both!

The Team (so far):
Developers: SpencerElliott, cyrux004, pullathomas, Childofthehorn
Idea Creators: Roto-rooter, FAILHARD

Palmdroid Coming Soon
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to FAILHARD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SpencerElliott
Old
(Last edited by SpencerElliott; 16th September 2011 at 01:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 39
I've been able to compile dalvikvm using the PDK toolchain but I still feel like all of the shared libraries (libdvm, libssl, etc) will need to be compiled using Palm's toolchain just to be safe. When I try to run dalvikvm on the device, I get a segmentation fault and I can't trace it back.

Code:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x2aab64c4 in _dl_relocate_object () from /lib/ld-linux.so.3
Progress is (slowly) being made though. Once dalvikvm isn't crashing, it should print out

Code:
Dalvik VM init failed (check log file)
And that means it's ready to accept bytecode (just needs to be configured first)

SEPT 15 UPDATE: Not much happened since the last update but I'm narrowing down what I believe are the issues with the segmentation fault.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SpencerElliott For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SpencerElliott
Old
(Last edited by SpencerElliott; 19th September 2011 at 05:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 39
So I'm going back and compiling the different libraries needed for Dalvik (libssl, libz, libdvm, libdex, etc.) using the Palm PDK libraries. So far I have libdex compiling and I've been able to create a static library from it, so one of them down, a bunch to go.

I haven't pushed any of the code just yet because the folders are a mess right now and it isn't exactly usable but I should hopefully have some more libraries compiling before the weekend
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SpencerElliott For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Deltido
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerElliott View Post
So I'm going back and compiling the different libraries needed for Dalvik (libssl, libz, libdvm, libdex, etc.) using the Palm PDK libraries. So far I have libdex compiling and I've been able to create a static library from it, so one of them down, a bunch to go.

I haven't pushed any of the code just yet because the folders are a mess right now and it isn't exactly usable but I should hopefully have some more libraries compiling before the weekend
Just wondering, what training did you need to acquire the knowledge you have in order to do this kind of work? Is it mostly self taught/hobby, or is there some course that can bring me to the basics for what I need know?

SpencerElliott
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltido View Post
Just wondering, what training did you need to acquire the knowledge you have in order to do this kind of work? Is it mostly self taught/hobby, or is there some course that can bring me to the basics for what I need know?
It's kind of a mixture of experimenting, my computer science major and being a huge Android fanboy :P I'd say that if you know how the Android platform runs on devices and all the underlying systems that run it you should be good to start looking at the source code.

Unfortunately, kernel.org is down right now so you'd have to find the source somewhere else but any help I could get with the project would be appreciated

anghelyi
Old
(Last edited by anghelyi; 22nd September 2011 at 10:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
It's kind of a mixture of experimenting, my computer science major and being a huge Android fanboy :P I'd say that if you know how the Android platform runs on devices and all the underlying systems that run it you should be good to start looking at the source code.

Unfortunately, kernel.org is down right now so you'd have to find the source somewhere else but any help I could get with the project would be appreciated
I started working on something similar for Bada just out of curiosity, But I'm struggleing with it as the Bada SDK is only available on windows and the Android sources can not be compiled under windows... Catch 22... I installed cygwin and set it to use the Bada SDK's gcc and things and installed the Java SDK on windows to have javac but I still has problems...

yareally
Old
Thanks Meter 220

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Android source was all ported to github for now.

colemanuk
Old
Thanks Meter 60
http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...eng_latest_art

webos apparently soon!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using xda premium
iphone 3g - HTC wildfire - Nexus one - Blackberry playbook - HTC One X - Nexus 4

SpencerElliott
Old
Thanks Meter 39
So, I'm starting to wonder if this project is still as feasible as it once was since OpenMobile is working on the very same idea but with more backing and a platform to stand under as of now.

I will continue to work on the project as much as I can if people would still like to see Palmdroid, but it seems moot to create two of the same product :S

pizzaboy192
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
So, I'm starting to wonder if this project is still as feasible as it once was since OpenMobile is working on the very same idea but with more backing and a platform to stand under as of now.

I will continue to work on the project as much as I can if people would still like to see Palmdroid, but it seems moot to create two of the same product :S
go for it. Openmobile won't be releasing to end users...

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe