[ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread
Hello Cousins! I am creating a new thread for the official PalmDroid project. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, keep this new thread for only dev news and progress. We have created a new thread for three reasons. First off, the project starter roto-rooter, has been inactive for a while. Also, there hasn't been much ACTUAL dev news in the last thread. Finally, we feel like we would get more notoriety in this section than in the WebOS section.
After speaking with some of you it has become readily apparent that while many people are comfortable waiting for a full android release for the HP Touchpad, there are also quite a few people out there that do not want to switch to a full android OS but simply wish they could have access to the vast app collection that android has to offer.
For these people I offer a solution.
The Palmdroid project is going to be an ongoing development project to bring a Dalvik like port to the Palm/HP WebOS operating system.
The goals of this project are as follows:
1) to offer a Dalvik port to WebOS that allows for android app emulation as if they were native WebOS apps much like Alien Dalvik on the nokia n900 or the app emulator of the blackberry playbook
2) Share useful information throughout development with the Touchdroid team as to help them reach their end goals and avoid conflicting and overlapping work as well as to foster collaboration and new ideas to speed the project along.
3)If possible (either worked into the project from the start or through later additions) provide the emulator as a download through the WebOS homebrew App catalog.
Now with the goals outlined I'll move on to how this is going to get going and what needs to happen next.
1) First and foremost... I need volunteer developers. If you have experience with Dalvik, WebOS development, Android development, UI development, C++, Java, Etc. I would like you to PM me with details regarding what you can help with. I have some java and C++ experience as well as a ton of web dev and project management experience but with alot of this I am learning as I go and if this is going to get done with any sort of speed I NEED your help.
2) I will be setting up communication channels for the dev team to discuss what needs to be done, share work, etc.
3) I will be setting up a web page (an extension off of my own since I can't finance purchasing another hosting account or domain name right now) where there will be regular updates on the status of the project as well as a section for the dev team as a repository for project related research, source code bits, group status reports etc.
Until the aforementioned steps are met this thread will be used to offer info, updates, and discussion related to development of Palmdroid.
I hope to have the support of the community here as we move ahead... i know I am new around here but I am very passionate about making this happen.
WebOS is a great operating system... and Android has some amazing apps... won't it be an amazing world when you can have both!
The Team (so far):
Developers: SpencerElliott, cyrux004, pullathomas, Childofthehorn
Idea Creators: Roto-rooter, FAILHARD
Palmdroid Coming Soon