[Q] Eliminate "External storage inserted" notif. icon

Search This thread

DaveRichardson

Aug 2, 2011
Hey guys,

I searched for this thoroughly, so if this has been covered, my surprised apologies.

Anyway, it drives me insane that there is a persistent "external storage inserted" icon/notification in the Honeycomb toolbar!

I knowthere is external storage inserted, and there will always be external storage inserted...that's (one of the multitude of reasons) why I went Android!

I want to just pretend like my microSD is internal memory...is there any way I can eliminate that eyesore SD card icon?

d3l1

Nov 18, 2009
+1 it's not just that the icon is unneccessary, if you open the notification area there is a chance you accidentally press the unmount button that is next to the icon. btw my tf is unrooted so hopefully there is a solution unrooted devices.

Last edited:

DaveRichardson

Aug 2, 2011
Yeah, that's happened to me more than enough times, too.

(Shameless bump -- surprised this isn't an annoyance for more of you!)

Last edited:

bleached45

Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I couldn't agree more.
I hate that notification...
Luckily since I am on the Revolver ROM I can toggle the status bar.
When I hide the status bar and open it again the notifications gone.
A suggestion if you're not on Revolver, go to manage applications > all > force quit System UI.
It SHOULD come back... if it doesnt just reboot.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I couldn't agree more.
I hate that notification...
Luckily since I am on the Revolver ROM I can toggle the status bar.
When I hide the status bar and open it again the notifications gone.
A suggestion if you're not on Revolver, go to manage applications > all > force quit System UI.

+1- With Revolver, you can actually turn off the status bar all-together! And when you re-enable it, there is a known issue where the MicroSD carn notification icon will NOT re-appear! Some call it a bug - I call it a feature! :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

bleached45

Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
+1- With Revolver, you can actually turn off the status bar all-together! And when you re-enable it, there is a known issue where the MicroSD carn notification icon will NOT re-appear! Some call it a bug - I call it a feature! :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Bug - no.
Improvement - yes.
:D

DaveRichardson

Aug 2, 2011
Good tip, guys. How's Revolver treatin' you? I thought my rom switching days were behind me (I've been really happy with Prime 1.9, latest Clemsyn kernel, and a mild overclock)...but if Revolver somehow mutes the icon, I might just have to flash.

Prime has been more stable than stock and zippier thanks to the OC -- without any hit to battery. However, I see Gnufabio added the power button mod (which I love about Prime), and I have been intrigued by Revolver Parts...

Can anyone speak to more differences between the two? (Self-threadjack.)

Last edited:

d3l1

Nov 18, 2009
And now for unrooted users on stock rom? please? :)

Doesn't come back, after reboot the pad "finds" the external storage again and the icon is back :(

Last edited:

bleached45

Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
And now for unrooted users on stock rom? please? :)

Doesn't come back, after reboot the pad "finds" the external storage again and the icon is back :(

Damn, sorry to hear that.
Unless google changes it in an update it is most likely going to stay for rooted users.

Good tip, guys. How's Revolver treatin' you? I thought my rom switching days were behind me (I've been really happy with Prime 1.9, latest Clemsyn kernel, and a mild overclock)...but if Revolver somehow mutes the icon, I might just have to flash.

Prime has been more stable than stock and zippier thanks to the OC -- without any hit to battery. However, I see Gnufabio added the power button mod (which I love about Prime), and I have been intrigued by Revolver Parts...

Can anyone speak to more differences between the two? (Self-threadjack.)

I was only on stock for about 5 hours before I installed Prime 1.9.
Saw the extra options in Revolver and switched about a day later.
I can't speak about battery life but Revolver has been really stable for me.

Revolver parts offers a nice way to get themes/mods for the rom but atm is rather empty.

Hey guys,

I searched for this thoroughly, so if this has been covered, my surprised apologies.

Anyway, it drives me insane that there is a persistent "external storage inserted" icon/notification in the Honeycomb toolbar!

I knowthere is external storage inserted, and there will always be external storage inserted...that's (one of the multitude of reasons) why I went Android!

I want to just pretend like my microSD is internal memory...is there any way I can eliminate that eyesore SD card icon?

Uh, sorry guys for the mega up of this old topic, but as it's the first one coming up Google's search for "android hide external storage inserted", I'd rather post my solution here...

Root, then install Xposed and NotifiyClean mod and with that you can hide any unnecessary notification you want :)

Last edited: