Wireless Tether?

Search This thread

blkghost22

Jan 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
What device have you been tethering on for the past 4 months?
My statements are regarding the Bionic which hasn't even been out for a month yet.
Have you been using the Hotspot app or other means of wifi tethering?

for myself i have been using thunderbolt and the charge. the program i used was wirelesss tether for rooted people. i have yet to seen a charge. i hope osomeone can ifnd a way to block the monitoring from verizon soon.

Brenardo

Nov 13, 2010
I too have been rocking a Thunderbolt using v 2.0.7.

I havent seen a charge yet but i also dont want to.... the fact is i am more concerned about loosing my unlimited data than being charged for usage. I fall into the category of the "i paid for it so let me use it like i want to" people.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I have been referring to the Bionic and the VZW Mobile Hotspot app, which is configured to use the tethered NAI and is therefore visible to the network and logged as tethered data use.
As a result of the SIM based authentication, you can no longer edit the NVM to hide the use of the Mobile Hotspot as was possible with CDMA/EvDO devices.

If you can use the WiFi Tether or any other similar exploit, then your data use is not detectable, as is the case for the Thunderbolt and Charge. So far, nobody has been able to get anything except BT PAN and PDAnet to work on the Bionic.

I hope this makes it clearer what I have been trying to explain about the ability of VZW to monitor "free" tethering.

Reactions: Brenardo

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
While I've rarely used it, I can confirm Wifi tether for Root v2.07 works on my thunderbolt with either the Stock Verizon ROM, or leaked GB 2.11.605.0, although v3beta6 doesn't.

I'm not going to comment on if VZW can detect this or not...

I have the "grandfathered" Unlimited data plan.

Those who want to play by VZW's rules (even if they agree/don't agree those rules stink), should be aware that VZW's MHS feature can be added/removed at any time and is PRO-RATED if you have it on for less than 1 full month (i.e. it costs about $1 or so per day). It can be done in the "add features" part of the Verizon MyAccount web page. I've done it a few times, and its relatively easy.

And my Bionic is on the way.

Brenardo

Nov 13, 2010
So cellzealot, are you currently working on any hack s or do you feel it is impossible to get around

bplewis24

Mar 10, 2011
Sacramento
Last edited:

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
No there isn't...and given the high profile nature of the topic there really should be.
Vmespionage started a good thread specifically devoted to the Mobile Hotspot app and we could perhaps continue this discussion there as well.
They are separate but certainly related. My suspicion is that the limitations are in the kernel and given that the Hotspot app is hidden, the discussion in the other thread stalled.

There hasn't been a really serious, collaborative effort started yet to look at this, and that is likely what it will require to be successful. My own knowledge is much greater about the NVM than the Android OS, so I will be most helpful with that part of it.

Brenardo

Nov 13, 2010
I understand that as long as the bootloader is locked there will be no messing around with the kernal of te bionic. Or atlest not until Second init is available.

denpad2010

Jun 2, 2010
SC
I checked my verizon app and i just saw a new indicator i guess is the wifi tether indicator well mine is in 0.0 lol

Enviado desde mi DROID PRO usando Tapatalk

denpad2010

Jun 2, 2010
SC
Well it was using my DROID pro I just checked in my bionic and there's no such indicator sorry I thought was a new feature but seems is in some models only

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Question is.... is PDAnet tethering traffic detectable to VZ or not?

If that is safe, then I might as well bite the bullet and pay 16 bones and be done with it.

kseunder84

May 5, 2010
Stoughton
I have been using it regularly since day 1.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

I've been using pdanet and it connects fine I surf for like a few minutes and then a website will randomly sit there at sending request and eventually say it can not load page, so using dos command I release ip and renew it and it works for another few minutes and then repeats the process again. Anyone know why this is? I also am grandfathered into unlimited data.

denpad2010

Jun 2, 2010
SC
Im using the hack to the built in mobile hotspot i am challenging verizon lol maybe stupid me but i must say im not a heavy user just occasionally

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
If you enable USB tethering it loads a RNDIS driver and the entitlement is already open for USB by default...it works! There is no need for PDA net if you want to use a cable. The hotspot app is specifically setup for monitoring because they are marketing it that way.
I haven't tethered extensively either but there is no warning or redirection because its RNDIS connection sharing not DUN over USB. I don't know why they decided to set it up this way and what the impications are yet.

Bottom line is that USB tethering works natively right now and BT PAN can also be made to work.

wanderfowl

Sep 22, 2011
So, I've just gotten Bluetooth tethering to work (CDMA only mode) with both my computer and my tablet, which makes me very happy. I don't miss the LTE speeds, as I'll just be doing this for occasional use away from WiFi, sitting in a car, etc.

That said, does anybody know whether this method (3G Bluetooth tethering) has the same trackability by Verizon as the Entitlement Editor method discussed in this thread?

Is it worthwhile to use a VPN or to spoof the browser user agent to something more Androidy to stay off the radar?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol it's not like he asked if it's safe to swallow Dynamite. Not everyone is as advanced as you buddy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App
    Lol it's not like he asked if it's safe to swallow Dynamite. Not everyone is as advanced as you buddy.

Some people like to reverse engineer stuff for fun. Speak from your own experience perspective not everyone else's.

Not everyone is as advanced as me? 1st off I'm not very "advanced", I simply have made a common observation that there are numerous threads on this topic already, which probably shouldn't have been posted in development to begin with, but that would be for a Mod to decide. The point of a forum as far as I'm aware is ultimately the exchange of information, if information of value is hidden amongst dozens of repeat threads, doesn't that hinder users in their attempts to find information that others have posted? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the forum? I'm not bashing the OP, I didn't call him/her names or imply he/she lacked intelligence, I answered their question first and secondly brought something to his/her attention that would probably benefit the community if prevented in the future. And it's not just my perspective when facts support it.

I made a video describing how to enable free mobile hotspot. You'll need to be rooted first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRwzq6Y2H8&feature=channel_video_title
    This still does not stop VZW from monitoring your data use and charging you for it.

The hotspot is still configured to reconnect using the Tethered NAI and is therefore clearly distinguished by the network as external data use.

This is going to take some digging into the OS to figure out and may simply be impossible due to the way network authentication works now for LTE devices.

Users really need to understand that the game has changed in some very fundamental ways regarding tethering on VZW and all the carrier's for that matter.
    I think that what cellzealot is saying is that even though the hack allows tethering and does not show he Verizon page about tethering, Verizon can clearly see the difference in data usage. Whether or not they will act on it right now is yet to be determined. But the important thing to know is that youvare easily tracked.