Verizon Forced Update ??

Search This thread

diesel43078

Jan 31, 2011
Urbana, OH
So verizon forces this update to my phone. Not sure what it was, but it didn't give me an option to cancel, or defer. Now when my phone tries to boot, I get the little android error screen with the triangle and exclamation point, and the phone will not boot. I have already booted into recovery, and wiped everything with no luck at all. Did a full wipe and restore, which had it up and running again, but this morning, same thing. Triangle and exclamation point error screen from where the update was unsuccessful. What do I need to do to block this update so I don't have to do a restore every few hours? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

ben805

Aug 3, 2011
Same crap happened to my wife's phone yesterday, she is running Skyraider and VZW keep trying to forced update and fux0r the rom, had to wiped cache/dalvik, reload the rom on top of it so she can retain her data, as soon as I loaded up the phone I turned off the wifi, 3G, and auto sync then immediately performed the following steps to stop that ****.

otacerts.zip (rename it .bak or whatever)
com.smithmicro.dm (freeze it with titanium backup)

http://xdaforums.com/show...ing+OTA&page=2

Glock2005

Sep 25, 2011
I don't have the "donate" version of backup, so I can't freeze the stuff. If I unroot, I assume it will fix the problems.

edster00

Jan 24, 2011
San Tan Valley
Here's what I did after accepting the update:

I am rooted (stock rom) and accepted the OTA, after the install the phone will not boot completely it will fail with a white triangle, yellow exclamation point and blue android. To get the phone working again pull the battery, re-insert after a bit and boot into hboot, go to recovery and clear cache partition, this will put the phone back into service. I didn't wipe the davlik.

I got another forced OTA d/l yesterday and had to redo the above. I have renamed the otacerts.zip to .bak and I am anxiously waiting what happens the next time the OTA tries to d/l.

Last edited:

ben805

Aug 3, 2011
You are kidding right? The one app that just about everyone should have (and support the developer so he can continue to provide support to us) and you resort to Warez?

Lame.

And to the OP - once you have secured the donate version of TiBu you can freeze the com.smithmicro.dm file like stated before.

I paid for mine and many other apps, and I have donated to devs who gave us root. As you said Titanium Backup is one of those must have apps that we all should buy, but don't be so arrogant to assume everybody has the extra cash to pay for the apps.

Last edited:

xHoLyx

Jan 22, 2011
North Shore
I paid for mine and many other apps, and I have donated to devs who gave us root. As you said Titanium Backup is one of those must have apps that we all should buy, but don't be so arrogant to assume everybody has the extra cash to pay for the apps.

If you have paid $100~300 for a smartphone and pays $30 a month, I think you can pay $6. If you can't pay for one time deal, why would you have a smartphone that costs you $30+ a month? Promoting warez site is against the XDA rule and no respect to developers

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium

tincbtrar

Nov 12, 2009
New York City

Maybe I was a bit harsh - and I am sorry for calling you out.

Its just that I would find it hard to believe that the OP couldnt afford a 6 dollar app after paying a couple hundred bucks for the phone and about 70 to 100 a month for service.

Its like buying a luxury car but not being able to pay for the maintainence and upkeep.

cac2us

Dec 11, 2007
Northern, AZ
anti leach

I proudly pay what little money I can to developers.
If I "Try" an app and plan to use it, then I pay for it.
I try to show some form of dignity to people that follow my lead..

An option would be to unroot and do what vomitrizen wants you to do.

If you can't afford to support the development community you should not be here.

And to crazyfireman, the same file is showing in two paths only because there second folder containing actual file.
Change either one and youwill be good.

Have a nice day...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazz848

Jazz848

Jun 28, 2011

Its just that I would find it hard to believe that the OP couldnt afford a 6 dollar app after paying a couple hundred bucks for the phone and about 70 to 100 a month for service.

Its like buying a luxury car but not being able to pay for the maintainence and upkeep.

Don't apologize. Anyone posting or recommending warez here puts the community in jeopardy. It doesn't matter how many "other" apps one has paid for, that entitles you to NOTHING extra; one theft is still theft. Posting advice on how to commit piracy is a potential liability to the site itself. Mod notified.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: cac2us

cheesiepoof

Apr 25, 2011
Denver
To get the phone working again pull the battery, re-insert after a bit and boot into hboot, go to recovery and clear cache partition, this will put the phone back into service.
Having the same problem, but HBOOT is behaving strangely: it is not allowing me to use up or down arrows to go through the menu. It immediately asks "Do you want to start update?" and then allows me to select yes or no with volume up or down. It then prompts me to reboot, at which time I'm back to the same routine: Phone shuts off after about 20 seconds, ends up with exclamation point inside white triangle with green android guy.

Phone is not recognized by windows despite updating drivers so no luck with adb.

Any ideas?

vne147

Sep 30, 2009
I am having this same issue. From what I gather in reading this thread, I first need to clear my phone’s cache, then rename 1 file, and freeze another. I have a few questions about that I hope someone is willing to answer for me.

First, to the best of your knowledge are the steps I described above correct?

Second, before I clear my cache I want to verify that I’m doing it properly:
What I think I should do it boot in Revolutionary Clockwork Mod and then select “wipe cache partition”. Is that correct?

Lastly, I don’t have Titanium backup or AntTek App Manager installed on my phone. I can probably track down the apk on the net somewhere but how do I install it without being able to get past CWM? Can I just move the apk into the system/app directory?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help shed some light on these questions for me.

tincbtrar

Nov 12, 2009
New York City
I am having this same issue. From what I gather in reading this thread, I first need to clear my phone’s cache, then rename 1 file, and freeze another. I have a few questions about that I hope someone is willing to answer for me.

First, to the best of your knowledge are the steps I described above correct?

Second, before I clear my cache I want to verify that I’m doing it properly:
What I think I should do it boot in Revolutionary Clockwork Mod and then select “wipe cache partition”. Is that correct?

Lastly, I don’t have Titanium backup or AntTek App Manager installed on my phone. I can probably track down the apk on the net somewhere but how do I install it without being able to get past CWM? Can I just move the apk into the system/app directory?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help shed some light on these questions for me.

What same issue....the pbimg showing up? Delete it off of your sdcard.

And you can buy titanium backup on the market. Best 6 bucks you will ever spend if you plan on flashing roms.

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium

vne147

Sep 30, 2009
I'm having the same issue as the OP. He stated:

So Verizon forces this update to my phone. Not sure what it was, but it didn't give me an option to cancel, or defer. Now when my phone tries to boot, I get the little android error screen with the triangle and exclamation point, and the phone will not boot.

That's my problem. HBOOT and Clockwork Mod seem to be working fine for me.

Also, I have no problem paying $6 for the app but right now I cannot use my phone so I cannot install anything from the market. If I can track down the apk (which I have been unsuccessful at doing so far) I can move it onto my phone and into the system/app directory through the adb shell.

So, do you have any thoughts on my original questions? Thanks!

BoostinBen

Aug 14, 2011
Last night it tried to push this update when I was sleeping, but I didn't have enough battery life for it to do it (thankfully). Anyways, I deferred the update for 5 days, and have frozen the file someone mentioned to freeze; however, I cannot find this otacerts.zip on my phone anywhere. Any ideas?

vne147

Sep 30, 2009
Last night it tried to push this update when I was sleeping, but I didn't have enough battery life for it to do it (thankfully). Anyways, I deferred the update for 5 days, and have frozen the file someone mentioned to freeze; however, I cannot find this otacerts.zip on my phone anywhere. Any ideas?

Ben,

Do you have Titanium Backup or the AntTek App Manager?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you have paid $100~300 for a smartphone and pays $30 a month, I think you can pay $6. If you can't pay for one time deal, why would you have a smartphone that costs you $30+ a month? Promoting warez site is against the XDA rule and no respect to developers

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium
    anti leach

I proudly pay what little money I can to developers.
    If I "Try" an app and plan to use it, then I pay for it.
    I try to show some form of dignity to people that follow my lead..

An option would be to unroot and do what vomitrizen wants you to do.

If you can't afford to support the development community you should not be here.

And to crazyfireman, the same file is showing in two paths only because there second folder containing actual file.
    Change either one and youwill be good.

Have a nice day...

Don't apologize. Anyone posting or recommending warez here puts the community in jeopardy. It doesn't matter how many "other" apps one has paid for, that entitles you to NOTHING extra; one theft is still theft. Posting advice on how to commit piracy is a potential liability to the site itself. Mod notified.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium
    I can help you out with this. I downloaded it, but where do I grab the apk from? ALso, PM me your email so I can send it to you?

Ben,

I appreciate your willingness to help but I don't need it anymore. I was able to fix my phone. Thanks anyway.

Also, where is this otacert.zip file located? I can't find it anywhere, and when I boot into recovery and mount system, it's not doing anything. How do I find it to rename it?

The otacerts.zip file is located in the system/etc/security directory. I renamed it by rebooting into CWM. Then I plugged my phone into my laptop via a USB cable. I mounted the system and opened a command line window. Then I typed:

adb shell
    cd system
    cd etc
    cd security
    mv otacerts.zip otacerts.bak
    I got burned by this, too.

Here's exactly what I did to stop this:

1. Battery pull and reboot into recovery (hold down VOLUME-DOWN and power button).
    2. Select Recovery.
    3. Shell in:
    Code:
    adb shell
    mount /system
    mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak
    reboot
    4. After reboot, go in to disable the updater:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    pm disable com.smithmicro.DM
    reboot

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Oh yeah, does anyone know what was in the update? :D