Beware:My BOOTLOADER just LOCKED via an OTA update UEKG4!

Search This thread

thehabs24

Mar 22, 2010
I have the I/O tab and it wasn't rooted before the update. I ran the update and then wanted to root it so I can try some ROM's but I'm not even able to root.

newims2000

Jun 28, 2011
I updated it too my unrooted retail Tab and now my unlocked bootloader is locked and no apps installed too. Gaddam Samsung tricked us.

Is there any way to root my device now with a Locked bootloader?

I updated it too my unrooted retail Tab and now my unlocked bootloader is locked and no apps installed too. Gaddam Samsung tricked us.

Is there any way to root my device now with a Locked bootloader?

Locked bootloader doesn't restrict you to root or install ROMs or Kernals.

You can root using the methods given in the dev section

Synner12

Mar 28, 2011
Likely a stupid question, but has anyone (dev) actually looked at the boot loader post-update to see if it really is locked? It's possible they just did away with the boot up graphic to eliminate confusion. In fact it's also possible that the update actually unlocked the boot loader on all of the tabs, making the graphic obsolete. Just a thought...

UKseagull

Apr 28, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
Likely a stupid question, but has anyone (dev) actually looked at the boot loader post-update to see if it really is locked? It's possible they just did away with the boot up graphic to eliminate confusion. In fact it's also possible that the update actually unlocked the boot loader on all of the tabs, making the graphic obsolete. Just a thought...

That's a good question!

yay pie

Jan 23, 2011
Turn it off, then on again.
If you see an open padlock on bootup you are open.

On the I/O tablets, there is no padlock icon.

Power the tab up while holding down the volume down button, until you get two icons (a USB icon and a maintenance icon). Press volume down once to highlight the USB icon, then press volume up to select it.

You should get the fastboot/bootloader status screen, which looks something like this. Mine still says unlocked even after the update.

http://twitpic.com/5zsbtq

UKseagull

Apr 28, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
On my UK Tab, I see these icons and not a USB etc icon.

qA4hA.jpg

If I select the right icon 'Downloading', I then get the screen below.

sOcxw.jpg

If I select the left icon, I see the screen below.

zlaJj.jpg

Would the 2nd screen suggest that I could flash a different rom?

Last edited:

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
The only difference between a locked and unlocked Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the ability to use nvflash and flash the bootloader. A locked 10.1 will allow you to flash anything with ODIN and does not check for signed kernels or anything like that.

Reactions: UKseagull

thehabs24

Mar 22, 2010
On the I/O tablets, there is no padlock icon.

Power the tab up while holding down the volume down button, until you get two icons (a USB icon and a maintenance icon). Press volume down once to highlight the USB icon, then press volume up to select it.

You should get the fastboot/bootloader status screen, which looks something like this. Mine still says unlocked even after the update.

http://twitpic.com/5zsbtq

I have hte same to when I do that but I don't think its rooted. I installed Titanium Backup and it says I don't have root. Were you able to verify TB works for you?

mughalgxt

Sep 15, 2008
Ajman
it does check for md5 signatures and binary signature when flashing bootloaders or clicking repartition. Bootloader unlock with nvflash one can back up selective partitions or format plus flash img files. The flexibility is limited in locked bootloader. Had got mine locked and trying hard to convince developers crack the sbk.

notfaded1

Jun 18, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
Root locked bootloader TW updated tab... Pokey is right!

The only difference between a locked and unlocked Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the ability to use nvflash and flash the bootloader. A locked 10.1 will allow you to flash anything with ODIN and does not check for signed kernels or anything like that.

Everyone needs to relax... a locked bootloader doesn't really hamper you at all now as far as rooting, using new roms, or kernels.

Using ODIN you can still root a TW Updated locked bootloader GT by following this Pokey method:
[CWM][ROOT] Flash CWM recovery to locked tab with ODIN
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1150732

Once you have CWM... load whatever you want.

notfaded1

Jun 18, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
yes... probably

If I were to root but remain on the Samsung factory installed rom, would I still get updates and be able to install them, i.e 3.2 when it's available?

yes if the xda developers could create a vanilla 3.2 update... but you would probably have to do it yourself as Samsung device update would apply all their updates including TW and lock your bootloader if it's not already. I doubt Sammy is going to go backwards and offer a 3.2 vanilla update.

rlarkin

Jun 20, 2011
should be illegal

"The only difference between a locked and unlocked Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the ability to use nvflash and flash the bootloader..."

The ability to use nvflash and flash the bootloader is specifically why I purchased the galaxy tab. I couldn't care less about movies.

I'm not relaxing, I'm talking to lawyers to see if I have a case. The bootloader when was unlocked when I paid for it, which I verified while I was still in the store. Now it's locked and I can no longer use nvflash...locally (so far) I haven't found an attorney that cares to know what a boot loader is, but I'm going to keep looking for a while.

This is not a phone, I have no contract. This is a "personal computing device". My property which Samsung diminished after I purchased it.

Reactions: boogiemunster

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
"The only difference between a locked and unlocked Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the ability to use nvflash and flash the bootloader..."

The ability to use nvflash and flash the bootloader is specifically why I purchased the galaxy tab. I couldn't care less about movies.

I'm not relaxing, I'm talking to lawyers to see if I have a case. The bootloader when was unlocked when I paid for it, which I verified while I was still in the store. Now it's locked and I can no longer use nvflash...locally (so far) I haven't found an attorney that cares to know what a boot loader is, but I'm going to keep looking for a while.

This is not a phone, I have no contract. This is a "personal computing device". My property which Samsung diminished after I purchased it.

You're kidding, right? Was there a big sticker on the box that said "Now with nvflash!"? Did Samsung communicate to you in any fashion that this tablet had nvflash when you bought it? Don't you think that Samsung leaving nvflash open on early builds was accidental, and perhaps someone realized that it would put them at risk of handling more RMAs and returns because bozos don't know how to use it correctly?

If you want a tablet with guaranteed nvflash, buy a devkit from nvidia.

rlarkin

Jun 20, 2011
You're kidding, right? Was there a big sticker on the box that said "Now with nvflash!"? Did Samsung communicate to you in any fashion that this tablet had nvflash when you bought it? Don't you think that Samsung leaving nvflash open on early builds was accidental, and perhaps someone realized that it would put them at risk of handling more RMAs and returns because bozos don't know how to use it correctly?

Everything you said is irrelevant. What I have is objectively less than what I bought, Samsung took something back post purchase. The (verified) state of the tablet at the time of purchase is the only communication that matters.

Your opinion on the relative import of the boot loader is subjective and irrelevant. That the option to use it was there when I paid , and taken away without my informed consent is objective fact.

MMcCraryNJ

Jul 19, 2010
Acworth, GA USA

1. Bumping a month old thread up just to troll is amazing. No really, please do it some more.
2. If your bootloader was unlocked when you bought it (as mine was), you should know that any OTA updates from Samsung could potentially lock/unroot/brick your tab if you have modified the OS in way/etc. You had to initiate the OTA by making a Samsung account and then either checking off "Auto update" or tapping "Check for updates". Samsung did not strip you from this functionality, you did technically.
3. Good luck getting that lawsuit off the ground. How much money did Sony have to pay all those people filing class-action lawsuits for removing the "Other OS" feature of the PS3?

Just be happy and use your tablet eh? Mine is still unlocked....I'll sell it to you for 1200 dollars. Otherwise, quit whining.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My stock unrooted wifi galaxy tab 10.1 just received an update OTA that seems to have done nothing except LOCK my unlocked bootloader. It was only 11.2mb and during the update process my tab went into download mode, then to a command line looking interface with commands related to encrypting bootloader. I no longer have the unlocked symbol upon boot up. Look out for update version UEKG4!

EDIT: Google videos app has been loaded as well, but not in the market, just the app.
    BTW how do you tell if your device is locked or unlocked?

If it is unlocked, there is a picture of a Lock during bootup and it shows as open.

If it is locked, then there is no picture at all.

(at least this is how my 2 different tabs showed up)
    im not trying to be rude or anything guys. But you should really look into what a locked and unlocked bootloader really is. If you haven't noticed, we can flash cmw. That means we can flash roms, kernels, and root. There is no reason to be worried at all. It makes no difference to have a locked or unlocked bootloader unless you wanna flash something that needs a different bootloader. Which there isn't much right now except for tabuntu.
    You are currently locked, correct. I'm tearing through the update with a hex editor as we speak.
    How do I check if mine is locked?

Turn it off, then on again.
    If you see an open padlock on bootup you are open.