Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Internet Sharing & Visual voicemail?

OP AngelSpirit

28th September 2011, 05:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 3

58 posts
More
Any of you guys managed to see the Internet Sharing option in the settings, using the Rogers Focus on Fido, or in a similar situation?

And what about visual voice mail?
29th September 2011, 05:12 AM   |  #2  
Flag OH-IO
Thanks Meter: 18

282 posts
More
Both are coming to At$t soon.
29th September 2011, 05:18 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 10

361 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seed 2.0

Both are coming to At$t soon.

Please define soon
29th September 2011, 01:21 PM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 22

420 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpirit

Any of you guys managed to see the Internet Sharing option in the settings, using the Rogers Focus on Fido, or in a similar situation?

And what about visual voice mail?

Internet Sharing is only available on the newer handsets. Unless you are really savvy you can follow the hack posted in XDA, otherwise Internet Sharing (WiFi Hotspot) is not on the menu.

As for Visual voicemail, I dont have VM from Fido so can't say if it works. I have conditional call forwarding set up to go to another number where voicemail is free (freephoneline.ca) and they also email me a copy of the voicemail.
30th September 2011, 11:39 PM   |  #5  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 231

1,360 posts
More
you can get internet sharing to work if you are unlocked, VVM requries att (or whomever your provider is) to make their backend compatible, which att has stated it is in the process of doing, so i'd expect it to work by the time the new handsets come out.

i wonder how long before att starts to crack down on wp7 users tethering without paying though.
1st October 2011, 04:39 AM   |  #6  
Flag Toronto

420 posts
More
Hmmm... maybe AT&T Mango update has WiFi Hotspot for older handsets? Maybe I'll reflash phone to AT&T rom and then go to Mango.

I can confirm there is no menu for WiFi hotspot on Rogers Samsung Focus. At least for my handset.
1st October 2011, 05:49 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
If you're willing to do a little legwork, you can get the WiFi Hotspot working for Rogers Canada under Mango. The basic steps are this:

1) you need a developer unlocked (or Chevron I guess) phone so that you can deploy XAP files to the phone
2) you need to INTEROP unlock your phone -- the instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1271963 work, except that you may notice a few discrepancies -- your Diagnosis App version may be 0628, and you may find that even after using the Diagnosis app to enable autoconfigure, you don't have 3G connectivity; you will after to enter the APN info manually under the cellular settings (APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn, USERNAME: wapuser, PASSWORD: wap)

3) once you have a fully unlocked phone, you deploy DiagProvXML v0.91 and use it to activate the internet sharing -- details are in the Windows Phone Development and Hacking thread, and you can see a video of it here:

http://windowsphonehacker.com/articl...hones-09-29-11

it seems to work . . .
1st October 2011, 01:22 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

156 posts
Yes, ATT users can get the WiFi Hotspot working with some work and having Dev plus other unlocks.
1st October 2011, 03:14 PM   |  #9  
Flag Toronto

420 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrandhawa

If you're willing to do a little legwork, you can get the WiFi Hotspot working for Rogers Canada under Mango. The basic steps are this:

1) you need a developer unlocked (or Chevron I guess) phone so that you can deploy XAP files to the phone
2) you need to INTEROP unlock your phone -- the instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1271963 work, except that you may notice a few discrepancies -- your Diagnosis App version may be 0628, and you may find that even after using the Diagnosis app to enable autoconfigure, you don't have 3G connectivity; you will after to enter the APN info manually under the cellular settings (APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn, USERNAME: wapuser, PASSWORD: wap)

3) once you have a fully unlocked phone, you deploy DiagProvXML v0.91 and use it to activate the internet sharing -- details are in the Windows Phone Development and Hacking thread, and you can see a video of it here:

http://windowsphonehacker.com/articl...hones-09-29-11

it seems to work . . .

Hmmm... yes.. nice article. Already had the Samsung Tools from And as far as I know I still have the Microsoft Deployment Software for Windows Phone. Just need to go get the DiagProvXML downloaded. Will give this a shot right now.

Now if I could only get MMS and Texting to work. I'm on Fido and it's been a challenge let me tell you !

Thanks!
PS: APN settings for Fido would be fido-core-appl1.apn

Edit: I guess I lost my Chevron in the Mango update and do not have a developer unlock. The Application Deployment fails and says I need a Dev unlocked device. Sigh.....
Last edited by PaullikesWINMO; 1st October 2011 at 03:43 PM.
1st October 2011, 07:49 PM   |  #10  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 231

1,360 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaullikesWINMO

Hmmm... yes.. nice article. Already had the Samsung Tools from And as far as I know I still have the Microsoft Deployment Software for Windows Phone. Just need to go get the DiagProvXML downloaded. Will give this a shot right now.

Now if I could only get MMS and Texting to work. I'm on Fido and it's been a challenge let me tell you !

Thanks!
PS: APN settings for Fido would be fido-core-appl1.apn

Edit: I guess I lost my Chevron in the Mango update and do not have a developer unlock. The Application Deployment fails and says I need a Dev unlocked device. Sigh.....

if you still have the provxml file on your phone, you can still unlock in the same manner, if you wiped before going to mango, then yea, you're SOL.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread