[ANDROID] Android on the TouchPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

nunjabusiness

Jan 20, 2011
Wow, looking awfully good.

However, I am concerned about the space required.
He is using a 32GB TP and the system info (I think) said only 1.5GB available on his dual-boot setup.
That would indicate a real problem for those (many) of us who got 16GB TouchPads. :(

jyxent

Sep 12, 2008
Edmonton

He is using a 32GB TP and the system info (I think) said only 1.5GB available on his dual-boot setup.
That would indicate a real problem for those (many) of us who got 16GB TouchPads. :(

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. There is plenty of space for an Android and WebOS install on a 16GB Touchpad. I'm guessing that it isn't showing all the free space due to the repartitioning that they do.

SynGamer

Dec 1, 2010
Toronto

I see no reason for CM on Touchpad to take up any more space than it does on a regular Android phone...

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays

Its just one of the partitions I believe. If you read the comments on youtube it's explained. Sorry I can't explain more but it was not explained in dummy terms lol.

Sent from my Nexus S running NSCollab ROM and Mathkid's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Kernel!!!

Colchiro

Dec 17, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel Fold
dalingrin said:
For those asking: the media partition in WebOS will be shared with Android. WebOS will not waste much space at all.

Yes I know some will want to delete all of WebOS but this will not be supported right away. You will certainly be able to later.

A CM partition is pretty small. You'll have LOTS of space left, in fact you'll hardly even know CM7 is on it.

From memory I think a stock 16 gb TP has 15 gb free.

I bet you'll have more than 14 gb free after installing CM7. :D

arda99

Jan 4, 2011
According to the reply from the video, CM7 will take 2GB from /media/internal partition, 500MB for system and 1.5GB for /data.

Sebz4n

Apr 22, 2011
Frederiksberg C
If I add music to the touchpad, I guess both android and WebOS will pick it up in the media players right?

Or doesn't android read things that is "above" the root folder?

scrizz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 9, 2010
Tampa, FL
If I add music to the touchpad, I guess both android and WebOS will pick it up in the media players right?

it says they both share usb partition, so they both should see it.
:D

these are great times.

This will be the HD2 of tablets.
MUAHAHAHAHA

Deltido

Oct 7, 2010
The installation seems so simple (based on video, not experience). This team really has amazed me, I was expecting to have to do all kinds of command line things to get this installed.

Nburnes

Sep 4, 2010
Google Pixel 5a

that seems like a reasonable belief...

it says they both share usb partition, so they both should see it.
:D

these are great times.

This will be the HD2 of tablets.
MUAHAHAHAHA

Right. From my understanding, it will read the usb drive on both sides (webOS/Android) and on Android it will show up as the /sdcard/ and not just internal storage.

I'm probably completely wrong though :(

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays
Oh I just want to install it already lol. Well I'm sure it's not long now. My TP is sitting about collecting dust, I don't really like WebOS and I got no use for it over my phone. It will still not be heavily used with gingerbread on it but when ICS hit us then it will be used over my phone no doubt.

Sent from my Nexus S running NSCollab ROM and Mathkid's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Kernel!!!

Deltido

Oct 7, 2010
Oh I just want to install it already lol. Well I'm sure it's not long now. My TP is sitting about collecting dust, I don't really like WebOS and I got no use for it over my phone. It will still not be heavily used with gingerbread on it but when ICS hit us then it will be used over my phone no doubt.

Mine will be heavily used with gingerbread. All the games, apps, and Netflix! Android has to offer will be thoroughly implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I've already seen the sort of "free-for-all" comments, can someone tell me why any missing drivers/files from the published touchpad android dump can't be used? Are there legal reasons or technical?

The dump used a kernel that we do not have. CM are not the types to smack together a bunch of binary blobs. We want to build as much from source as possible. This gives us a much better chance of a smooth transition to Ice Cream Sandwich when Google releases the source.

Another way to look: With binary blobs there is a ceiling that limits how well we can get the Touchpad to work with future versions of Android. A bunch of binary blobs from a Froyo dump will almost certainly not work with Ice Cream Sandwich much less Gingerbread.

Putting in the time and work now will improve the Touchpad's Android support for the future.
    [Discussion] CM7 Port on Touchpad

This is simply a stub to direct you to the discussion at Rootzwiki:
    http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=4011

Majority of my updates will come from twitter @dalingrin or Rootzwiki.

No ETAs!
    SkzBR said:
    Hello buddies,

We all know that ETAs doesnt exists, but what we need to do to get it faster? Maybe if developers make a list of what testings steps...?

What i'm trying to say, is that we need help developers and tries to make it release FASTER helping, and not just blaming the foruns...

So, i'm waiting for a dev reply with instructions.

People like you not making posts like this would help for a start :)

We don't work for you guys, get that straight.
    OK guys, because we really want this to be an open and community effort with full transparency, we are going to be posting our development work over at RootzWiki in addition to here and on our website/wiki. Once we get a stable kernel and port set up, we are probably going to release this as open source and allow people to make ROMs based off of this work.

Nothing is finalized yet, but anyways: tl;dr Development is going to happen at Rootzwiki and on IRC, updates are going to be everywhere (including here), and we are going to have fun doing it.
    Here's a short video of my progress on dual-booting Android and WebOS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qEogR9xC4

NOTE: I haven't successfully gotten Android to run yet.