[Project] 2708 kernels for Legacy Builds (ezterry look, or anyone w/ 2708 experience)

Search This thread

jcarrz1

Retired Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
Introduction:

Two questions.

1: should they be renamed to be 2825 kernels?

2: I need some help. I have realized that 1.5 hero roms provide an amazing experience with the extra ram; when swap and cc are disabled, while still leaving sense running, I can switch freely between clock, browser, messaging, and rosie (sense homescreen) without any of them quitting. App launch times are phenomenal, and I really would like to use a 1.5 hero as a daily rom.

Unfortunately, SD card, ringtones, and other features don't work. My only explanation for this is because historically, hero 1.5 roms always had a seperate modules.sqf in /system/modules/modules.sqf.

I think this is the reason, because when I try a 1.5 non-hero rom with a 2708 kernel, the result is all of these functions working perfectly.

Some comments:

I find it amazing that these newer kernels work so well with the older roms.

I will update this thread as progress occurs.

CURRENT PROGRESS
The only progress I know of is this:
ezterry has posted an "OLDBUILDS" kernel that enables only 8 of the available 14 megs so that camera works.

Download: http://sandbox.devnull.name/android/ezOldBuildsKernel-2708_S.zip

Please help. This can be an amazing project.

nagash91

Nov 25, 2008
Beawtifull thread.
I love sense roms (1.5 is ok :D ) and also vanilla donut.
With some mb of ram more would be amazing !

I have used 1.6 vanilla with 14mb ram more, but camera don't works.

jcarrz1

May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
update:

I can't find any 1.5 sense roms for g1 that DONT have the modules.sqf, but rather have them somewhere else.

Could people please:

1. provide me with information about what modules.sqf is, and how it can be extracted/ combined/moved/ etc so that anykernel will pick up those modules.

2. find a 1.5 sense hero rom without the modules.sqf, but with the necessary files to allow SD access and ringtone selection to work.
  • known not to work
  • mightymax hero 1.9
  • maxisma sense 2.0.1
  • qteknology 3.05 cupcake sense
  • sensehero 1.4

3. These problems could also be caused by xbin.sqf, as in the proper xbins aren't able to be accessed that allow sd card and ringtone selection... but both of those are conrolled by mediaserver which is in bin (afaik).

Smart people please input.

jcarrz1

May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
nobody? at least post your thoughts here about what you think i'm doing, is it stupid, is it blatantly obvious, etc?

Essentially what i'm asking for is a 1.5 kernel that works with 2708.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
3. These problems could also be caused by xbin.sqf, as in the proper xbins aren't able to be accessed that allow sd card and ringtone selection... but both of those are conrolled by mediaserver which is in bin (afaik).

Smart people please input.
Um. The sqf files are just squash fs disk images (mount them via loop).. there is no reason my kernel will have an issue with this.

If /system/xbin isn't mounted check logcat/dmesg.
Make sure losetup is finding the loop device.. you may need some shortcuts to be added in init.rc to adjust the loop device location.. that or pull losetup or toolbox from a newer build and see if it helps.

If the screen isn't black its mostly just updating the core version of linux to behave I think.

nagash91

Nov 25, 2008
No news? I would really love sense 1.5 with 14mb ram hack, or vanilla 1.6 with more 14mb

XZ32

Nov 25, 2009
id go for sensehero 1.4 with the extra ram!

still the most stable/usable sense rom i ever flashed.

sleepyfu

May 11, 2010
Seattle, WA
No news? I would really love sense 1.5 with 14mb ram hack, or vanilla 1.6 with more 14mb
Both Amon_RA ION1.6 and the ZX_Donut (and more) will run with ezterry's 2708 kernel. you will need to set the camera's rez to 1mb to take pictures. An if i remember correctly the wlan.ko from a CM or CM builds such as the biffmod is needed to make the wifi work.
I ran donut with ezterry's kernel for a long time, and finally switched to CM 6.1 due lots of new apps i want to try are 2.1+ only.

Last edited:
Reactions: nagash91

nagash91

Nov 25, 2008
Both Amon_RA ION1.6 and the ZX_Donut (and more) will run with ezterry's 2708 kernel. you will need to set the camera's rez to 1mb to take pictures. An if i remember correctly the wlan.ko from a CM or CM builds such as the biffmod is needed to make the wifi work.
I ran donut with ezterry's kernel for a long time, and finally switched to CM 6.1 due lots of new apps i want to try are 2.1+ only.

Thanks!
"set camera's rez to 1mb" ? you mean 1mpx? :D

sleepyfu

May 11, 2010
Seattle, WA

jcarrz1

May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
Oops, yup 1m pixel

yup, IIRC i tried it awhile ago and camera worked in high rez.

phone pictures are generally for a quick share on social networking sites anyways, 1mp was the setting i've always used.

Glad to still see an interest in this. I've been fooling around, and made some progress.

first, Beav_35 has made a donut 2708 kernel that has had mixed results for me so far. He nor I are responsible for any damage to your phone. it is not guaranteed to work at all. use at your own risk.

http://www.multiupload.com/0YROAJ4IDY

Second, I am working on getting a nice 1.5 sense working 100% on the g1. I will update this thread periodically.

naguz

Jan 30, 2009
Are there any complete, stable , ready-made Donut ROMs that has a 2708 kernel? Preferably AOSP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:

Two questions.

1: should they be renamed to be 2825 kernels?

2: I need some help. I have realized that 1.5 hero roms provide an amazing experience with the extra ram; when swap and cc are disabled, while still leaving sense running, I can switch freely between clock, browser, messaging, and rosie (sense homescreen) without any of them quitting. App launch times are phenomenal, and I really would like to use a 1.5 hero as a daily rom.

Unfortunately, SD card, ringtones, and other features don't work. My only explanation for this is because historically, hero 1.5 roms always had a seperate modules.sqf in /system/modules/modules.sqf.

I think this is the reason, because when I try a 1.5 non-hero rom with a 2708 kernel, the result is all of these functions working perfectly.

Some comments:

I find it amazing that these newer kernels work so well with the older roms.

I will update this thread as progress occurs.

CURRENT PROGRESS
    The only progress I know of is this:
    ezterry has posted an "OLDBUILDS" kernel that enables only 8 of the available 14 megs so that camera works.

Download: http://sandbox.devnull.name/android/ezOldBuildsKernel-2708_S.zip

Please help. This can be an amazing project.
    Oops, yup 1m pixel

yup, IIRC i tried it awhile ago and camera worked in high rez.

phone pictures are generally for a quick share on social networking sites anyways, 1mp was the setting i've always used.

Glad to still see an interest in this. I've been fooling around, and made some progress.

first, Beav_35 has made a donut 2708 kernel that has had mixed results for me so far. He nor I are responsible for any damage to your phone. it is not guaranteed to work at all. use at your own risk.

http://www.multiupload.com/0YROAJ4IDY

Second, I am working on getting a nice 1.5 sense working 100% on the g1. I will update this thread periodically.