Sprint Anycom FIPO Bluetooth v2.0 Stereo Receiver w/Dock Connector

Search This thread
Nov 27, 2007
I have one of these that I bought one day at a Sprint store a while back for like $10 thinking it would be a great way to convert an Ipod hookup I had in the car into an inexpensive bluetooth dock.I used for maybe 30mins but the lack of bass in my stereo was a no go for me.I figure its not something you would hear so badly when using with a desk dock or speakers like it was marketed for but in my car was way too noticeable for use for me.

jemarent

May 9, 2008
FIPO Sucks

I was pretty excited to get this FIPO unit, but the audio quality is horrible. I agree in the lack of bass, but it's even more than that. But the bass is horrible, makes this unit barely worth using. I'm using it with an Epic 4g.

voodoo55

Jul 24, 2010
Looking for something similar to connect to my car auxiliary input. Considering the belkin model. Any advice?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

luma

May 28, 2006
I've finally got everything I needed to add bluetooth audio to my car which turned into something of a convoluted setup.

I have a 2004 Audi TT roadster with a 6 CD changer and no aux in. After weighing my options, I purchased this unit which disables my CD changer and in return gives me an 1/8" aux input along with an iPod interface. I then plugged the FIPO into the iPod interface giving me the ability to wireless send music from my phone to my head unit, with track control capabilities on the head. To recap, I'm sending bluetooth to the FIPO to an iPod connector to a CD changer interface into my head unit :cool:

First - it works great! Everything went together with no problems at all and within minutes of plugging everything in I was streaming audio.

Second - I'm not sure what people are experiencing in regards to bass response. After reading the posts here I was a little concerned that I was going to be disappointed with the audio quality. I'm using Winamp on my Evo and did some A/B testing between bluetooth and the direct aux input via the Evo's headphone jack. The car is equipped with a Bose factory sound system, which is OK for a small two-seater cabin (as not much else will fit), but isn't "slammin" by any measure. Test music was some acoustic (320kbps mp3) and some old skool drum and bass (256kbps mp3), and I couldn't hear any difference between the two inputs.

What people might be hearing is simply that the output of the Evo is somewhat flat, and might benefit from some EQ. Do any of the Android media players offer this?

leeh41

Aug 29, 2006
I've finally got everything I needed to add bluetooth audio to my car which turned into something of a convoluted setup.

I have a 2004 Audi TT roadster with a 6 CD changer and no aux in. After weighing my options, I purchased this unit which disables my CD changer and in return gives me an 1/8" aux input along with an iPod interface. I then plugged the FIPO into the iPod interface giving me the ability to wireless send music from my phone to my head unit, with track control capabilities on the head. To recap, I'm sending bluetooth to the FIPO to an iPod connector to a CD changer interface into my head unit :cool:

First - it works great! Everything went together with no problems at all and within minutes of plugging everything in I was streaming audio.

Second - I'm not sure what people are experiencing in regards to bass response. After reading the posts here I was a little concerned that I was going to be disappointed with the audio quality. I'm using Winamp on my Evo and did some A/B testing between bluetooth and the direct aux input via the Evo's headphone jack. The car is equipped with a Bose factory sound system, which is OK for a small two-seater cabin (as not much else will fit), but isn't "slammin" by any measure. Test music was some acoustic (320kbps mp3) and some old skool drum and bass (256kbps mp3), and I couldn't hear any difference between the two inputs.

What people might be hearing is simply that the output of the Evo is somewhat flat, and might benefit from some EQ. Do any of the Android media players offer this?

I used a similar device when I had my Audi. Loved it.

I was wondering about the EQ also when using bluetooth, but havent tested since. I'm on Myn's ROM and it includes the DSP, but not sure if it has an impact on bluetooth.. anyone try yet?

litso

Jul 4, 2010
Snellville
Resurrecting a long dead thread, but I am in the market for something like this, the Sprint Anycom FIPO is basically EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but they aren't sold anymore and I can't find anything similar. I've seen a few that plug in to the AUX, and I've seen a couple of similar knock offs (as well as one that looks great but is only available in Japan) on eBay. I can't believe no one makes one of these anymore. I'm buying a new car today (2008 Infiniti) that has bluetooth phone capability but not streaming music. It does have an iPod connector and AUX but I'd really like to be able to stream over bluetooth. I'd also rather avoid getting a new head unit.

What I want exactly:
Stream audio over bluetooth from my Thunderbolt to the car stereo
Needs to be powered by the iPod connection
Automatically re-pair when I exit and enter the vehicle
Display track information on car stereo system
Control (skip tracks, back, etc) from car stereo system (steering wheel controls mainly)

Anyone got any ideas, or know where I can get the Sprint Anycom FIPO unit, or the Japanese Bluetribe unit?

bkrodgers

Nov 27, 2007
I had tried the Anycom, and it sounded worse than an FM transmitter. I'm not kidding. Unfortunately I just don't think such a thing exists that's any good, as cool as it would be. I sent it back. It really isn't worth your time unless you don't care about audio quality at all. It's TERRIBLE.

patass

Feb 21, 2009
my car radio is bluetooth enabled, and my evo connects automatically when i turn my car on. Quality is fantastic. <3 bluetooth.

faiyo

Jul 11, 2011
Whats wrong with this $40 knockoff on ebay?
Specs say it can do a2dp with mp3 support and AVRCP. It should work perfectly. The only thing you could complain about is that it is bluetooth 2.0.
It will still enable you to stream internet radio or switch tracks with steering wheel controls and the head unit.

btw I've seen the sprint one in various places; even a third party seller on amazon but its much more expensive. I don't really think sprint made the device. It's probably related to the one on ebay because theres one dude in the world that makes these and he's in china.

I'm probably going to get this and a USA SPEC PA11 ipod thing for my car.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A...Accessories&hash=item2c5e860f71#ht_7270wt_752

faiyo

Jul 11, 2011
Looks neat, but if you want to use ur head unit and steering wheel to control your phone over bluetooth, you've got to go through the ipod interface. It gives "dock" controls you could send wirelessly.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

BTW I ordered my parts <$100 and I'll let you all know if it works. This going to be an 05 GM head unit -> usa spec pa11-gm ipod dock -> chinese bluetooth ipod dock adapter -> evo 3d -> winamp

BPM

Mar 4, 2006
i own no EVO but it is not important for this thread ;)
i got this FIPO last week but it does not work with my kenwood headunit (BT41U), but it does not work. i am able to pair it with my phone with FIPO but my headunit always tells me "no device".
if i connect an iphone or an ipod it works an i can control the music from my steeringwheel.

any idea why my headunit does not see the FIPO?