Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,072 Members 47,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NANDroid backup

Tip us?

bluerogue85
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question NANDroid backup

what is a nandroid? how do you perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM? im going to cm7 stable from kj1. just wondering cause it says in the steps to install cm7. thanks..sorry for the noob ques..

Sword_of_a_1000_truths
Old
(Last edited by Sword_of_a_1000_truths; 11th October 2011 at 10:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 12
its making a complete backup of ur current rom settings,apps and all. with i897 gingerbread roms i dont think u can restore a nandroid backup. but u would normally do a backup in recovery with cwm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sword_of_a_1000_truths For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

studacris
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,068

DONATE TO ME
yes, nandroid on i897 ginger roms do not work.

but the procedure would be to make a backup. then if you flash a different rom from what the backup was made from you would have to flash the rom back that was backed up THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed away from that rom.

DO NOT EVER restore a nandroid to a set up it was not backed up on, it will bootloop.
What's the best nation on Earth?
DONATION!
The Following User Says Thank You to studacris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bluerogue85
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by studacris View Post

DO NOT EVER restore a nandroid to a set up it was not backed up on, it will bootloop.
can you expound on that please...hahaha..sorry im reading it over and over..just need to clarify..what you mean? thanks btw guys for the reply..so basically nandroid backs up your rom..cause just the name sounded confusing..i mean why name it nandroid when they can just say in the intructions before flashing a rom to just "back up" your rom..haha..i thought nandroid was something else..cause i heard other people saying something about efs or whatever and backing it up but i dont even know what that is especially..thanks though for replies..got it..

studacris
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,068

DONATE TO ME
Say you back up your current ROM, then flash another. You can't just restore ROM A onto ROM b. You have to flash back to ROM A and THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed ROM b. All of you settings and everything will be intact.

Efs is totally different, that is a partition that contains your phones individual data, it's imei which you have to manually backup it's not included in a nandroid.
DONATION!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to studacris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KarateKick
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question Components backed up by NANDroid

Which of these components does NANDROID back up?

- bootloaders?
- kernel?
- system apps and other apps?
- modems?
- other parts of the OS?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

studacris
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,068

DONATE TO ME
The firmware and system settings.

No kernel
No bootloader
No modem
DONATION!

ayush29k
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by studacris View Post
Say you back up your current ROM, then flash another. You can't just restore ROM A onto ROM b. You have to flash back to ROM A and THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed ROM b. All of you settings and everything will be intact.

Efs is totally different, that is a partition that contains your phones individual data, it's imei which you have to manually backup it's not included in a nandroid.
Kindly clarify this please, i want to backup my stock rom before going custom.
So inorder to do a complete backup, we need to do a nandroid backup and also backup imei separately?? and then restore both of them when i flash back to stock??

apbthe3
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush29k View Post
Kindly clarify this please, i want to backup my stock rom before going custom.
So inorder to do a complete backup, we need to do a nandroid backup and also backup imei separately?? and then restore both of them when i flash back to stock??
They are two separate issues, really, but you are correct that you should back up both.

Nandroid lets you go back to a previous state, as long as you flash back to the correct ROM before you restore it. It will not let you restore data to your new installation, though. If you want to restore your applications in your new ROM, you can download Titanium Backup from the market which will let you batch save your applications now and restore them on your new ROM (It can also save and restore system data, but don't restore system data between ROMs, it causes all sorts of weird issues).

Backing up your EFS folder is something you should do, but hopefully will never have to restore. Your EFS folder contains information about your phone and should never actually get touched in any way when flashing ROMs. However, things go wrong and sometimes this folder ends up getting corrupted for whatever reason, which can lead to a corrupt IMEI code and no service. If this were to happen, you would restore you EFS from backup. I think it's safe to say most of us have never had to actually do this, but better safe than sorry. You can do a search for backing it up and find several threads about it.

Happy flashing!
Phone: Samsung Captivate
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: Stock AT&T KK4, rooted.
Modem: KK4
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apbthe3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Baby Liz Sandra
Old
Thanks Meter 5
lol...I was about to do nandroid backup! These post wre real helpful...thank you!