[GUIDE] Read this before going for eMMC replacement.

Search This thread

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Code:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
When you see this message in your recovery do not panic.

Setup adb/fastboot on your computer (there is a simple guide in my signature). Then connect your device to the PC, enter recovery, open cmd (command prompt) on the PC and type:
Code:
adb shell
dmesg | grep mmc0
If the output contains the following strings:
Code:
mmc0: failed to get card ready
mmc0: reinit card
mmc0: Starting deferred resume
mmc0: Deferred resume failed
Than you internal memory (eMMC) is corrupted i.e. your chip is "fried". This is a hardware issue (reference here) and the chip has to be replaced. Sorry, no other solutions available.

If not - your chip is not fried!

This message results from a destroyed /cache partition - some relevant info here

Some basic thing has to be done to solve this problem easily:
  • NEVER PULL THE BATTERY! Better have the patience to wait it to be completely drained
  • always keep a Backup of your current ROM and/or the Stock ROM, made from Recovery on your SDcard
  • enable USB Debugging in your Settings -> Applications -> Development and keep it that way
  • disable Fastboot in Settings -> Power to have total shutdown on power off
  • after unlocking (S-OFF) your device with Revolutionary flash an Engineering bootloader (e.g. 0.98.2000) to be able to overwrite it when needed
  • use 4EXT Recovery rather than ClockworkMod it has much better functionality
To restore one of the following has to be done:

1. restore the Nandroid backup if you have done it

or

2. restore the cache partition - wipe /cache from the Recovery (preferred - thanks forcefreak). If the size of the partition says <null> (when Printing partition info in 4EXT Recovery) connect your device to a PC, go into adb shell (look the link in my signature for adb setup) and type
    Code:
    mke2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
    do not pay attention to the busy partition message, then
    Code:
    reboot recovery
    Note that this option will format your cache as ext2 or ext3 type. If you are using ext4 just use the 4EXT Recovery to reformat them as ext4

or
  3. According to craigcharlie's post
    selecting the Factory reset option in the HBOOT is also a way to boot to Recovery and then flash a custom ROM or restore a backup

or

4. if steps 1/ 2/ 3 are not working flash the relevant RUU (the same or higher version than your current and correct region/brand - you can find the available for Desire S here) when your phone is in FASTBOOT USB mode in bootloader (you may need to reinstall the HTC drivers) [credits go to dave303 and the guide in his blog.]

4.1 If you have a 6.98.1000 hboot
    Change your hboot with this one
    Download PG88IMG.zip, extract it and use Android Flasher to flash the extracted hboot.img
    The hboot version now should be 0.98.2000

Search in this thread for the proper RUU and install it.

4.2 If you have a 6.98.1002 hboot
    Download the hboot_0.98.0000.zip and extract it, boot your phone to Recovery, connect to PC, copy the hboot.img file to your SDcard, open command prompt and type:
    Code:
    adb devices [I](your device serial number should be displayed)[/I]
    adb shell [I](there should be a command prompt with the # symbol in front if not type "su" without the quotes)[/I]
    dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18[I][/I]
    if not working try to unmount/mount the SDcard:
    Code:
    adb shell [I](there should be a command prompt with the # symbol in front if not type "su" without the quotes)[/I]
    umount /sdcard [I](not a typo the command is umount, not u[B]N[/B]mount)[/I]
    mount /sdcard

NOTE: If you have a custom ROM and no info about your original software version the solution is as follows:
    Connect the device, enter the bootloader and type the following command in the cmd:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar version-main
    This is the number of your original software.

If this number is higher than the one of your RUU and you cannot flash it, change the number with the version of your RUU (be careful - use the correct RUU for your brand/region!) with misc_version that can be found here - post #1, link from step 1.

If you have problems with some of the above post in the Desire S General forum or in this thread to receive support. Some cases can be individual but there is always a chance to fix before going for a replacement

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4123551

Wow.sick tutorial. this must get a place in the index in very very big, bold letters.

Sent from my HTC Desire S/S510e using XDA App

forcefreak

Oct 3, 2011
Other way to solve this problem?

Hi

I had the same error after installing a new RADIO version on my Desire S.

-> Market closes unexpected
-> Can't open cache... in recovery

I fixed the problem with CWM Recovery!

1. Restart phone to ClockworkMod Recovery
2. Choose "wipe cache partition"
3. "reboot system now"

DONE

Reactions: amidabuddha

yeawhatever

Nov 7, 2010
Just checked my chip and luckily I'm not affected. Sympathy to l u guys who are. :eek:(

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Hi

I had the same error after installing a new RADIO version on my Desire S.

-> Market closes unexpected
-> Can't open cache... in recovery

I fixed the problem with CWM Recovery!

1. Restart phone to ClockworkMod Recovery
2. Choose "wipe cache partition"
3. "reboot system now"

DONE

I have tried this as well but my partition size was null. Tried formatting as Ext3 and Ext4. Honestly haven't tried just to format...

Btw the command mk2fs (the 2nd method in my initial post) makes exactly the same as your solution but from the command prompt. Anyway yours is easier so thanks for the contribution! But keep in mind that in both ways the partirion will be restored as ext3 so you will have to use 4EXT Recovery later to convert if you want to use the advantages of ext4

Last edited:

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
Hello,

I've just one question: why this happens?
Every time I wipe the cache and the dalvik-cache through the Recovery, I get this error. Should be considered as normal hence?

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Hello,

I've just one question: why this happens?
Every time I wipe the cache and the dalvik-cache through the Recovery, I get this error. Should be considered as normal hence?

"Every time" is definately not NORMAL! Check your partiton type ext2/3/4. If not ext4 format it as such with 4EXT Recovery

And one piece of advice: change your bootloader version, in case you stuck. This cannot be overwritten so you will go straight to replacement (most probably paid by you)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
How can I see which filesystem type is it?
Anyway, I use ClockworkMod now, and I don't think it is ext4.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Checked: it is a ex2 partition.
I've just flashed the 4EXT Recovery.

So, you suggest to change the bootloader? Which version?
I didn't understand what could cause the stuck: the partition type change? What cannot be overwritten? Maybe it's not clear to me what is the risk.

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
How can I see which filesystem type is it?
Anyway, I use ClockworkMod now, and I don't think it is ext4.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Checked: it is a ex2 partition.
I've just flashed the 4EXT Recovery.

So, you suggest to change the bootloader? Which version?
I didn't understand what could cause the stuck: the partition type change? What cannot be overwritten? Maybe it's not clear to me what is the risk.

The best option IMO is the hboot from my signature: 0.98.2000 (2.0.2002 reduces your cache space and maybe will be useful in future, but for now it isn't)

The reason: Revolutionary/Alpharev is permanent, which means that it cannot be overwritten (I have an untested method that may unlock it but I cannot verify and definitely will not brick my device to try it out :) ), unlike the other ENG Bootloaders which provide the same functionality but can be easily replaced (by RUU for example) if necessary. Like if you flash some incompatible software that bricks your phone and you are not able (or just do not have) to restore a Nandroid backup there is nothing you can do except to go to a repair center, where they will see that your bootloader is 6.98.1002 and most probably you will pay the repair (the eMMC chip costs about 1/3 of the phone price). On other hand if you can restore the system or at least the bootloader with the Stock one (e.g. from RUU) you can always say that your phone just collapsed and you do not know anything about it. I hope now it will be more clear to you.

P.S.: 4EXT Recovery is the best choice! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: fbcyborg

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
Thanks a lot for the explanation. You was very clear now.
So, if I'm not wrong, and if I've really understood everything, you mean that my old ClockworkMod Recovery is still there, and the 4EXT (that is a modified CWM recovery), is a sort of upgrade of CWM.

Anyway, I have a doubt about the hBoot you mentioned: the 0.98.2000 which is reported as the original one in the related thread, but before S-Offing and rooting my phone with revolutionary, I had 0.98.0002. Is it not different?

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
So, if I'm not wrong, and if I've really understood everything, you mean that my old ClockworkMod Recovery is still there, and the 4EXT (that is a modified CWM recovery), is a sort of upgrade of CWM.

Anyway, I have a doubt about the hBoot you mentioned: the 0.98.2000 which is reported as the original one in the related thread, but before S-Offing and rooting my phone with revolutionary, I had 0.98.0002. Is it not different?

4EXT Recovery is based on ClockworkMod, but is has more functionality...now you can still use your backups from CWM, even to convert them to ext4 format (check the 4EXT thread in my signature all is described there.

Now, my explanation above was related to the bootloaders (hboot) :)
For the Desire S there are the following hboot versions:
0.98.0000, 0.98.0002 and 2.00.0002 - Stock. The latter currently cannot be unlocked by Revolutionary exploit
0.98.2000 - "old" Engineering bootloader that allows you to flash system stuff like custom Recovery, different Radio version, unsigned stuff, etc.
2.00.2002 - Engineering bootloader with the same functions as the "old" one but with different partition style (/cache is 150 MB smaller and /system has 150 MB more space), but currently supported only by the new OTA (Stock) ROM
6.98.1000 and 6.98.1002 - Revolutionary/Alpharev Engineering bootloader that is installed on your device after S-OFF, with the same functions and partition style as 0.98.2000, but cannot be directly overwritten by RUU if you get in trouble...

Last edited:

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
I've just put the 0.98.2000 ENG hBoot, but as regard the filesystem type: do you mean I have to convert all partitions to ext4 or only the cache partition?

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
I've just put the 0.98.2000 ENG hBoot, but as regard the filesystem type: do you mean I have to convert all partitions to ext4 or only the cache partition?

system, data and cache. Then flash the new ROM. Of course you can use ext3 without any problems. Do some reading here and decide for yourself, but it is mentioned that:
The ext4 filesystem is backward compatible with ext3 and ext2, making it possible to mount ext3 and ext2 filesystems as ext4. This will slightly improve performance, because certain new features of ext4 can also be used with ext3 and ext2, such as the new block allocation algorithm.

Reactions: fbcyborg

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
I've followed your suggestions, and this time, with 4EXT and the cache wipe, I've not seen the messages I've reported when I used the CWM. Formatted all partitions (not the sdcard) to ext4 and all is OK!

clubbtraxx

Dec 9, 2005
Awesome post.

I have one extra problem right now and that is my phone will not power up?
I have the symptoms of fried eMMC chip, but since switching it off at one point it will not power up anymore. Tried battery in a different phone and it is nearly full.

Any Ideas?

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
Awesome post.

I have one extra problem right now and that is my phone will not power up?
I have the symptoms of fried eMMC chip, but since switching it off at one point it will not power up anymore. Tried battery in a different phone and it is nearly full.

Any Ideas?
is there any vibration when you turn it on or does the led light?

have you altered your device eg root or custom ROM etc?

If no return under warranty as sounds like hardware issue

Swyped from my Desire S using XDA Premium

clubbtraxx

Dec 9, 2005
Ben, right now nothing happens when I press the power button.

My saga was rooted through AlphaRev and I was trying few different ROMs
Somewhere along the way I changed my SD card and after powerup into recovery I noticed for the first time these errors in CWM.

After reading on here I tried few things and at one point shut it off and since can't power back on. My hboot and recovery were still working but as said can't power up anymore now.

When I attach the USB cable the led flashes on and off about every second or two. This stops when I press the power button but the phone doesn't power up.

Looks like bricked to me :-(

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Ben, right now nothing happens when I press the power button.

My saga was rooted through AlphaRev and I was trying few different ROMs
Somewhere along the way I changed my SD card and after powerup into recovery I noticed for the first time these errors in CWM.

After reading on here I tried few things and at one point shut it off and since can't power back on. My hboot and recovery were still working but as said can't power up anymore now.

When I attach the USB cable the led flashes on and off about every second or two. This stops when I press the power button but the phone doesn't power up.

Looks like bricked to me :-(

Yes seem like a total brick...I think that you have flashed something that is not belonging to your phone (probably you are branded). Anyway try adb and fastboot, if any of these commands can detect the phone you can try to reboot to bootloader or recovery. If not go straight for a repair and do not mention the custom software part :)

P.S. curious what you did before this happened?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    When you see this message in your recovery do not panic.

Setup adb/fastboot on your computer (there is a simple guide in my signature). Then connect your device to the PC, enter recovery, open cmd (command prompt) on the PC and type:
    Code:
    adb shell
    dmesg | grep mmc0
    If the output contains the following strings:
    Code:
    mmc0: failed to get card ready
    mmc0: reinit card
    mmc0: Starting deferred resume
    mmc0: Deferred resume failed
    Than you internal memory (eMMC) is corrupted i.e. your chip is "fried". This is a hardware issue (reference here) and the chip has to be replaced. Sorry, no other solutions available.

If not - your chip is not fried!

This message results from a destroyed /cache partition - some relevant info here

Some basic thing has to be done to solve this problem easily:
    • NEVER PULL THE BATTERY! Better have the patience to wait it to be completely drained
    • always keep a Backup of your current ROM and/or the Stock ROM, made from Recovery on your SDcard
    • enable USB Debugging in your Settings -> Applications -> Development and keep it that way
    • disable Fastboot in Settings -> Power to have total shutdown on power off
    • after unlocking (S-OFF) your device with Revolutionary flash an Engineering bootloader (e.g. 0.98.2000) to be able to overwrite it when needed
    • use 4EXT Recovery rather than ClockworkMod it has much better functionality
    To restore one of the following has to be done:

1. restore the Nandroid backup if you have done it

or

2. restore the cache partition - wipe /cache from the Recovery (preferred - thanks forcefreak). If the size of the partition says <null> (when Printing partition info in 4EXT Recovery) connect your device to a PC, go into adb shell (look the link in my signature for adb setup) and type
      Code:
      mke2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
      do not pay attention to the busy partition message, then
      Code:
      reboot recovery
      Note that this option will format your cache as ext2 or ext3 type. If you are using ext4 just use the 4EXT Recovery to reformat them as ext4

or
    3. According to craigcharlie's post
      selecting the Factory reset option in the HBOOT is also a way to boot to Recovery and then flash a custom ROM or restore a backup

or

4. if steps 1/ 2/ 3 are not working flash the relevant RUU (the same or higher version than your current and correct region/brand - you can find the available for Desire S here) when your phone is in FASTBOOT USB mode in bootloader (you may need to reinstall the HTC drivers) [credits go to dave303 and the guide in his blog.]

4.1 If you have a 6.98.1000 hboot
      Download PG88IMG.zip, extract it and use Android Flasher to flash the extracted hboot.img
      The hboot version now should be 0.98.2000

4.2 If you have a 6.98.1002 hboot
      Download the hboot_0.98.0000.zip and extract it, boot your phone to Recovery, connect to PC, copy the hboot.img file to your SDcard, open command prompt and type:
      Code:
      if not working try to unmount/mount the SDcard:
      Code:
      umount /sdcard [I](not a typo the command is umount, not u[B]N[/B]mount)[/I]
      mount /sdcard

NOTE: If you have a custom ROM and no info about your original software version the solution is as follows:
      Connect the device, enter the bootloader and type the following command in the cmd:
      Code:
      fastboot getvar version-main
      This is the number of your original software.

If this number is higher than the one of your RUU and you cannot flash it, change the number with the version of your RUU (be careful - use the correct RUU for your brand/region!) with misc_version that can be found here - post #1, link from step 1.

If you have problems with some of the above post in the Desire S General forum or in this thread to receive support. Some cases can be individual but there is always a chance to fix before going for a replacement
    OK!

Here we go. You may find the 4EXT_Recovery_v2.2.7_RC5.zip file attached to this post. I've downloaded it using the 4EXT Recovery Control apk.

You can flash the 4EXT Recovery unzipping the file and performing the following command when in fastboot mode:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    And then enter into the recovery.

Make sure the file recovery.img is in your current working directory.
    D
    Deleted member 4123551
    Wow.sick tutorial. this must get a place in the index in very very big, bold letters.

Sent from my HTC Desire S/S510e using XDA App
    I still have 3 months warranty and dont want HTC to have an excuse to void my warranty and make me pay for a replacement Mainboard.
    Like this guy: [Guide] How to brick your Desire S
    It seems the eMMc was not fried by me or the s-off tool, but HTC just cheaped out on the eMMC chips in these phones.

Just got a message from HTC Netherlands after sending my phone to them.
    They say that the eMMc was fried by the s-off tool I had used. And thats why my warranty is now void. They tell me the replacement of the main board cost me €180,- :mad:
    But if i dont want that and just want to get my phone back, i still need to pay them €30,- for the research of it. WTF!! next time i will microwave the freaking phone before i sent it to them. Now they just refurbish it and give it away....
    I'm totaly done with this policy. thanks again for everybody's help.

4EXT Recovery is based on ClockworkMod, but is has more functionality...now you can still use your backups from CWM, even to convert them to ext4 format (check the 4EXT thread in my signature all is described there.

Now, my explanation above was related to the bootloaders (hboot) :)
    For the Desire S there are the following hboot versions:
    0.98.0000, 0.98.0002 and 2.00.0002 - Stock. The latter currently cannot be unlocked by Revolutionary exploit
    0.98.2000 - "old" Engineering bootloader that allows you to flash system stuff like custom Recovery, different Radio version, unsigned stuff, etc.
    2.00.2002 - Engineering bootloader with the same functions as the "old" one but with different partition style (/cache is 150 MB smaller and /system has 150 MB more space), but currently supported only by the new OTA (Stock) ROM
    6.98.1000 and 6.98.1002 - Revolutionary/Alpharev Engineering bootloader that is installed on your device after S-OFF, with the same functions and partition style as 0.98.2000, but cannot be directly overwritten by RUU if you get in trouble...