Worth it to return the phone?

Search This thread

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
I have the black blotches, a dead red pixel, and the vertical lines (which, btw, were somewhat present on the "good" screen of my MT4G)

But I have no problems with the battery.. no random reboots, great speaker quality (both media playback and phone calls) and the phone flies.

I definitely WANT to return it and get a "good" screen.. but I'm hesitant because I'm thinking I may end up with a phone that has some other issue, like the reboots/battery/overheating or any number of other unknown issues..

I do feel I should have a flawless screen if I'm paying hundreds of dollars for a phone.. I mean the whole point of the SG2 is the screen really, that's they key marketing point they are pushing on it, and that's really what initially drew me to it.

It's aggravating when I'm trying to watch something in the dark and I can see these black blobs and lines...

but I'm also happy with the phone's performance.. tough decision

What would/did you do?

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
I have the black blotches, a dead red pixel, and the vertical lines (which, btw, were somewhat present on the "good" screen of my MT4G)

But I have no problems with the battery.. no random reboots, great speaker quality (both media playback and phone calls) and the phone flies.

I definitely WANT to return it and get a "good" screen.. but I'm hesitant because I'm thinking I may end up with a phone that has some other issue, like the reboots/battery/overheating or any number of other unknown issues..

I do feel I should have a flawless screen if I'm paying hundreds of dollars for a phone.. I mean the whole point of the SG2 is the screen really, that's they key marketing point they are pushing on it, and that's really what initially drew me to it.

It's aggravating when I'm trying to watch something in the dark and I can see these black blobs and lines...

but I'm also happy with the phone's performance.. tough decision

What would/did you do?

I would return the phone, but return it after Samsung brings in some new batches. You might turn it in and waste your time and get another with the same problem.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

tackleberry

Apr 18, 2008
Really? This is a question? If the water pump leaks on your car every 2 weeks after replacement are you gonna not return it under lemon law because it has a kick ass stereo?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Reactions: KillaHurtz

Jjday7

Dec 1, 2007
If I were you, I would go ahead and exchange. You have too many issues to not and keep the phone and regret it later. I had a small situation of the right side of my screen not being flushed with the casing and I decided to just keep it. The other issues I have seen on the forum make me worried that if I exchange I will end up with a bunch of other issues that I don't want. The one that gets me the most is the vertical lines and the 100% battery bug. None of these issues are on my phone and I want to keep it that way.

I also saw someone mention the issue with the ground on the charger. I saw this first hand at the t-mobile store. The phone was doing phantom presses and I wasn't even touching the phone. I asked the rep about it and of course she had no clue. I unplugged the charger and everything was fine.

It's always a risk to exchange with any type of phone.

android4sunny

Oct 19, 2011
Well my suggestion would be to exchange it.

I got mine on the release day. All looked good and i was back home. I made a call and realized that i'm getting this low buzz noise on call when the other person speaking. tried couple of diffrent calls, checked on IVR's but it was constantly there. Went to T-mobile store next day, showed it to the rep, he opened the phone and pushed the SIM card in and said it is because the SIM was not properly inserted. I called and it was not there (coz there was music going on in the store so did not felt it) but before leaving i though i'll give it a try again and called the T-Mobile care number. Bingo...as soon as the IVR started the buzzing was there...showed it to the rep, he talked to the store supervisor and she also listened and immediately replaced my phone. Checked the other one...and no buzzing sound at all with the volume all the way to up. So go ahead and replace it before u run out of time.

scmurphy13

Feb 6, 2009
Birch Bay, WA
I'm on my second SGS2. Exchanged the first one because of the lines. This one has the lines, but not as bad, but it has had a couple of reboots. Went to exchange for a third and was told no by the store manager. She told me that she can't keep doing exchanges because it costs her store money. Not my problem, I told her. I paid full price for the phone, I want one that is as close to perfect as I can get and since I'm in my 14 days, I'm allowed to exchange because my device is defective. She still told me no and said that exchanges are at the stores discretion and she said I can't get another exchange. I will be filing a complaint with T-Mobile about this.

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
I'm on my second SGS2. Exchanged the first one because of the lines. This one has the lines, but not as bad, but it has had a couple of reboots. Went to exchange for a third and was told no by the store manager. She told me that she can't keep doing exchanges because it costs her store money. Not my problem, I told her. I paid full price for the phone, I want one that is as close to perfect as I can get and since I'm in my 14 days, I'm allowed to exchange because my device is defective. She still told me no and said that exchanges are at the stores discretion and she said I can't get another exchange. I will be filing a complaint with T-Mobile about this.

You can then ask for a refund.

After you get your money back, buy another one.

It's law my friend. They cannot refuse a refund within the remorse period.

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
Really? This is a question? If the water pump leaks on your car every 2 weeks after replacement are you gonna not return it under lemon law because it has a kick ass stereo?

Yes, this is a legitimate question, and your analogy is far off. Let me help you.

If every car out there typically has some set of known problems (like every cell phone pretty much does, from HTC to Samsung to LG, etc) then a leaky water pump might not be that bad if say, many of the other vehicles have a bad engine or are known for random blowouts while on the freeway.

Then all of the sudden that leaky water pump doesn't seem so bad.. especially when you HAVE to have a car (phone), so it's not like you can just say "effit, I'm not buying any of them until they get it right"

So then the only option you have is to decide which flaws you're willing to live with, or keep returning it until they actually refuse to do business with you. And yes, that does happen...

Last edited:

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
Just exchanged mine in-store. New one has a MUCH better screen.. barely noticeable verticals and no black blotches or dead pixels..

Now I just have to make sure EVERYTHING else works right... headphone jack, camera, Bluetooth, Wifi, Data, etc...

I think this one's going to be a keeper though. Seems pretty solid so far.

lookitzjohnny

Aug 4, 2010
NORTHERN, CA
Just exchanged mine today same manufacture date 9/28/2011, this one is far better barely noticeable vertical lines and definitely no blotches on the screen!

Tasty_Beats

Oct 22, 2011
Lucky you guys... My first one had the vertical lines so I traded it in and the second one is much worse : (. I've noticed that it also has the random reboot issue too. It was a 9/28/11 batch.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
My first one had very noticeable vertical lines. My second one has them but not nearly as bad. But, the new one does have a white spot in the screen and there are words somehow etched on the inside of the screen, almost like they are burned in. So just weigh the pros and cons of swapping, you could end up with something worse.

T

The_Biz

I'd totally return it or exchange it if it had blobs. I've seen them 1st hand on 1 of the 6 I've tested. You do need to realize that these screens all have the lines to and extent. So just get one you can live with without the blobs and move on. I'm super picky but have realized that there's no escaping the lines.

1/6 didn't have that many lines and it ended up getting a stuck red pixel, so I just exchanged till I found one that had the lines evenly spread and not just bunched up in one corner.

Also, with testing 6 of them, I also noticed that some of them would display heavy lines with a certain wallpaper while others wouldn't. Yet the others would display heavy lines with a different wallpaper while the others wouldn't. Trust me, I fully tried all I could to get a perfect one and that's the reason I tried 6 and did different wallpapers.

The blobs aren't as common as the lines and you'll more than likely get a blob free one with the exchange.

Good luck and sorry for the lenghty post.

Side note: Here's the best wallpaper I've found to check for lines and blobs. Something about the color combo of this wall makes the stick out.

nicecolours41.jpg

KillaHurtz

Aug 13, 2010
Albuquerque

Muahahahaha......I love the old skewl XDAr's !!!
Was a just a spectator since the G1 days and finally joined when I could contribute :)

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

I'd totally return it or exchange it if it had blobs. I've seen them 1st hand on 1 of the 6 I've tested. You do need to realize that these screens all have the lines to and extent. So just get one you can live with without the blobs and move on. I'm super picky but have realized that there's no escaping the lines.

1/6 didn't have that many lines and it ended up getting a stuck red pixel, so I just exchanged till I found one that had the lines evenly spread and not just bunched up in one corner.

Also, with testing 6 of them, I also noticed that some of them would display heavy lines with a certain wallpaper while others wouldn't. Yet the others would display heavy lines with a different wallpaper while the others wouldn't. Trust me, I fully tried all I could to get a perfect one and that's the reason I tried 6 and did different wallpapers.

The blobs aren't as common as the lines and you'll more than likely get a blob free one with the exchange.

Good luck and sorry for the lenghty post.

Side note: Here's the best wallpaper I've found to check for lines and blobs. Something about the color combo of this wall makes the stick out.

nicecolours41.jpg

Thanks for the short response :p
The image looks like the logo from my friends record label
cromati_records_logo.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.